BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a K1600GT and replaced the top brake line with a brake line from a GTL. I’m having difficulty getting the screw that holds the top brake line to the steering head (where it connects to the Lowe brake line to the modulated) installed. My fingers are two big and the angles to tight. I have dropped the screw several times (like a dozen times). The BMW manual has nothing on replacing that brake line. It only has instructions for replacing the lower front brake line to the modulator (at least that all I have found). Anyone replaced the upper line and figured out a way to get the screw back in, or is removing everything, including the gas tank for access the solution. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
Try taking the tank plastic off, first just the top right section and see if you get better clearance for your fingers. I did what you're doing several years ago and don't remember if just the top right section was enough or I had to also take the center piece off. Center piece off means the other pieces have to come off first. It's a fairly easy job to take the plastic off.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I replaced mine with a custom made line to accommodate a Brembo Corta Corso Master Cylinder. I too have large hands, size XXL gloves. I removed the top tupperware and yes, it was a PIA. If I remember correctly I replaced the torx screw with a hex head bolt.

Duane

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
how about looping a cable tie round the thread to allow fine control and cut it off once it is running

1 - 5 of 5 Posts