BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was wondering do you need a new crush washer once the plug has been tightened?

Reason I'm asking is because I have torqued it to spec, 28Nm, but have yet to fill oil. I want to undo the plug, do I need a new washer once I'm going to tighten it again?

·
Administrator
17,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
The main sump is supposed to have a new crush washer with each oil change, but I seldom replaced mine and never had a leak.

The inside crankcase plug has no washer.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,102 Posts
@lui, I change oil @ about 4500 miles intervals. After 92,000 miles that's about 20 oil changes; I've never replaced the drain plug crush washer...

Duane

·
Registered
193 Posts
.....I've never replaced the drain plug crush washer....
^^^^ this is valid logic. However, a 10-pack of washers on Amazon is quite cheap, and if you feel better about it then change it. The fact is 28 N•m isn’t “crushing” the washer anyway and a close inspection will bear that out. If you can’t see any deformation just re-use it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks guys! The washer is cheap but the hassle of going out to buy it...very good to know it can be "reused".

Can hardly tell any difference between the old and new washers.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
If you mic the washer before and after, you'll see 28 nm does 'crush' it.
If you don't have a new one you can heat it with a heat gun (not a torch) to restore some spring in it.
If you don't have a heat gun, then just flip it and buy some for next time.
I do change mine every other change because I have a bag of them.

I imagine Duane's is pretty thin by now after 20 changes! LOL

·
Registered
461 Posts
I flip my crush washers over after during each oil change, as you can see where the bolt head makes an imprint on it. Generally use them for 3-4 change cycles.

Reactions: RL Lemke

·
Registered
2018 K1600B , S1000XR
12 Posts
Not sure if this technique has been used and written about but there are too many treads on changing the oil to be sure. Anyway, when draining the oil I remove the 8mm plug and drain it all. Then I loosen and only the 5mm plug and only let it down about an inch or less and hold it there till the rest of the oil drains. You can measure this by observing where on the tool is when the plug is on and an inch or so further up on the same tool as you lower the plug. Then I push it back up and screw the plug back in with little chance of losing the plug in the pan.

My logic is simple, most people lose the plug by not being centered on the 8mm plug hole as they lower the plug and the plug catches the inner lower pan hole edge and the plug falls off the 5mm Allen.

The technique requires you to hold the plug steady in the transition vertical point for a minute or so to get most of the oil out and your hand will be in the middle of all the oil draining. It's not a lot of oil and it takes a minute only for practical purposes. Worked great for me the first time I tried it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not removing the plug is actually a little simpler.
The technique requires you to hold the plug steady in the transition vertical point for a minute or so to get most of the oil out and your hand will be in the middle of all the oil. draining.
Hmmmm....nope. That oil will be HOT.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
754 Posts
My logic is simple, most people lose the plug by not being centered on the 8mm plug hole as they lower the plug and the plug catches the inner lower pan hole edge and the plug falls off the 5mm Allen.
No, that's not correct, most don't lose the plug, because there's guides that would have it drop out the lower plug hole.

Even without the use of the RL Super Plug, removing the inner plug completely is simpler than your technique.

Not sure why we would make such a simple task sound so complicated.

·
Registered
2018 K1600B , S1000XR
12 Posts
No, that's not correct, most don't lose the plug, because there's guides that would have it drop out the lower plug hole.

Even without the use of the RL Super Plug, removing the inner plug completely is simpler than your technique.

Not sure why we would make such a simple task sound so complicated.
Only because it happened (the plug falling in) to a lot of people evidently. Sure most people don't have an issue otherwise this would be a recall or something. But there are a lot of forum pages dedicated to this so it is an issue to some and when it happens apparently the plug doesn't just pop out and the nightmare begins for some. Just because it never happened to you doesn't mean it can't happen.

As for the oil getting on your hands well it happens even with the supper plug or just removing the plug (watch all the videos, there are no exceptions). As for the duration, it literally took a few seconds to drain most of the oil that is left which is almost the same amount of time it takes to get the plug out. There is not a lot of oil to drain here, only what is left in the other sump. I suggested a minute only to get the last bit of oil out for those who are so about these things otherwise, a few seconds.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
754 Posts

·
Mr.Fix It
8,102 Posts
@Ydo , you're putting "faith" in the posts that warn you about loosing the inner plug? Which is ok, although I'm telling you you can't loose the inner plug. And at the same time there are MANY more posts about the 5mm inner plug stripping, yet, that's ok? Good luck when/if you strip that the inner plug. It's not a lot of fun drilling out...

Duane

Reactions: 1004ron

·
Registered
117 Posts
Save yourself the stress and anxiety, order a RL Plug (aka Super Plug) and be happy.

My first hand experience from recent oil change, the inner plug came out okay, it was when going back in I dropped it. Out of desperation I reached out for a magnetic pickup tool, it broke inside too.

Mentioned the ordeal to a mate, he came with a scope and a homemade magnetic tool. After a lot of patience (hours) he managed to get it out, I couldn't believe it. The four pillars that were supposed to stop the plug from dropping inside were preventing the plug to come out.

Guess what I did after the tense couple of days, yep immediately ordered the RL plug.

And for whose interested, the plug and magnet were inside the oil pan like so.

·
Registered
2018 K1600B , S1000XR
12 Posts
@Ydo , you're putting "faith" in the posts that warn you about loosing the inner plug? Which is ok, although I'm telling you you can't loose the inner plug. And at the same time there are MANY more posts about the 5mm inner plug stripping, yet, that's ok? Good luck when/if you strip that the inner plug. It's not a lot of fun drilling out...

Duane
I understand stripping the Allen plug but I can't change that and if it is stripped then the magic plug does me no good (as it will just sit in the box till the other plug is removed). Besides stripping an Allen is usually a result of improper insertion of the key so I was real careful to be vertical and lined up before turning.
Anyway if you look at the inner sump in a parts manual you will see the amount of oil is very little and some may argue you can skip changing this oil and change only 4 liters (that come out the main plug vs 4.5 liters) and do it 20 % more frequently.

181 - 200 of 210 Posts