BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
2013 GTL
754 Posts
Just curious?.if you replace the plug every second oil change, why would you not buy RL's plug and save the cost of replacing the plug every second time
And not forgetting about the risk of rounding the hex on the original style plugs trying to loosen it - that would be a major undertaking to extract the rounded plug.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just curious question. If the inner plug is somehow stripped and not easily opened etc. would it be possible to extract all the upper sump oil through the filling opening with the vacuum pump and thin pipe? And rest of the oil of course through the main plug. And then fill oil normally. So most of the oil is fresh. I know that car engine oils are changed fast by sucking the oil from the filler neck. I have done it a couple of times to our second car which has a time consuming process of opening the oil pan plug.

·
Administrator
17,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
If the inner plug is somehow stripped and not easily opened etc. would it be possible to extract all the upper sump oil through the filling opening with the vacuum pump and thin pipe?
No.

The crankcase oil plug retains critical lubricant, aka: oil, inside the crankcase at the level of the crankshaft. The oil fill and dipstick are provide access to and oil level within the oil sump.

When I manufacture the Super Plug I use a solid plug as the base. The OE BMW plug is hollow, as if BMW wanted the option to have a magnet.

It is the hollow plug design, which limits the Hex tool to a 3mm insertion depth, that makes the plug fragile. Applying too much torque can round out the plug.

The plug I use is manufactured in Germany from tool steel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Alta drifter to answer your question, I guess I like to use original items designed by the manufacturer, not that they are always the best, as well with the bike under warranty it may save any issues if they happen to arise. For $5.78 cents it just helps me feel good about removing any potential concerns raised..........just me.

The RL tool is a great idea/design and works for many.

Randy

·
Registered
117 Posts
They can easily improve the plug by making it thicker/longer, or even change it to a button head. They obviously don't thing it's a problem that needs solving.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,101 Posts
@lui , blame RL for this not being a problem to BMW... I can't imagine the number of stripped plugs there 'would' be if not for his plug...

Duane

Reactions: XPLSV

·
Registered
2013 GTL
754 Posts
Alta drifter to answer your question, I guess I like to use original items designed by the manufacturer, not that they are always the best, as well with the bike under warranty it may save any issues if they happen to arise. For $5.78 cents it just helps me feel good about removing any potential concerns raised..........just me.

The RL tool is a great idea/design and works for many.

Randy
Many folks here that don't do their own wrenching have taken the RL plug to the dealership for them to install and as far as I can tell the dealership are quite happy to do this and no reports on it impacting warranty. For it to impact warranty it would need to be demonstrated that it was the cause of a failure.

"helps me feel good about removing any potential concerns raised" - what potential concerns do you have in mind?
There's a report on this forum where a dealership stripped the hex on the internal plug - didn't drain the upper sump and didn't tell the bikes owner, and that is a major job to correct.

·
Registered
167 Posts
They can easily improve the plug by making it thicker/longer, or even change it to a button head. They obviously don't thing it's a problem that needs solving.
From my understanding, it is a cost saving and convenience for BMW
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is this plug is already used in many applications for BMW, and it did not make sense (cost perspective and another part number) for BMW to use a different plug
Not saying I agree with it, but that is my two cents worth

·
Administrator
17,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
my understanding is this plug is already used in many applications for BMW, and it did not make sense (cost perspective and another part number) for BMW to use a different plug
Yes, I researched the OE plug and found that it was used across the automotive line. It is also used with the parallel twin with a sump too.

And, as we all know, Germans are never wrong.

The tool steel German plug I use has a hex insertion depth of 4mm. Better, but a solid plug with a 5mm, or even 6mm, insertion depth would eliminate the need for my modified plug.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There's a report on this forum where a dealership stripped the hex on the internal plug
Similar thing happened during a routine service, the workshop called if I need the bike for the weekend because oil change just became a whole lot more complicated.

I argued that they have done all previous oil changes and if anyone it was one of them, then they tried to tell me that it was due to normal wear and tear, I then countered if that was the case where in the service manual does it say replace plug after x number of oil changes?

Anyway, after some back and forth they agreed not charge labour, but won't budge on parts (header gaskets, new plug, etc). I guess it's difficult for the workshop manager to write off parts from the inventory without escalating to his boss, where as labour hours are totally in his control.

·
Administrator
17,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Easy and inexpensive solution available. I ship to OZ and NZ as well.

·
Registered
2013 GTL - 1993 CBR900RR
16 Posts
This is a great thread for those of us who like to do at least some maintenance on our own. I reviewed this thread and changed both the oil and final drive oil tonight. Took me about an hour total is all, so if you are considering it and have at least some limited wrenching skills, you should have no problems. I don't think I got the final drive emptied all the way however as I could only get about 5 ounces back in before it started coming out the filler hole. Figured it must be topped off as this is how I do my FJ rear end differential, once she flows out she is full.........Thanks RL for taking the time to document all of this making it a cinch for anyone who wants to give it a go.........

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is a great thread for those of us who like to do at least some maintenance on our own. I reviewed this thread and changed both the oil and final drive oil tonight. Took me about an hour total is all, so if you are considering it and have at least some limited wrenching skills, you should have no problems. I don't think I got the final drive emptied all the way however as I could only get about 5 ounces back in before it started coming out the filler hole. Figured it must be topped off as this is how I do my FJ rear end differential, once she flows out she is full.........Thanks RL for taking the time to document all of this making it a cinch for anyone who wants to give it a go.........
I am not sure, but if I emptied the fd fluid and put 180 ml in to it, there are no oil even near the filling hole. But I never measured it to so I can be wrong.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
754 Posts
I am not sure, but if I emptied the fd fluid and put 180 ml in to it, there are no oil even near the filling hole. But I never measured it to so I can be wrong.
@Motard-Menace you didn't follow RL's guide for the rear drive, and no, its not done the same as your FJ.

If you pulled the final drive drain plug then it will "empty all the way" - what plug did you pull?

5 oz = 150 ml the manual specifies 180 ml.

·
Registered
2013 GTL - 1993 CBR900RR
16 Posts
@Motard-Menace you didn't follow RL's guide for the rear drive, and no, its not done the same as your FJ.

If you pulled the final drive drain plug then it will "empty all the way" - what plug did you pull?

5 oz = 150 ml the manual specifies 180 ml.
I pulled the drain plug for the final drive as the fluid exited the drive as expected. When I went to fill after about 5 ounces it wouldn't take anymore, came running back out the fill hole. Tried several times after spinning the wheel as well and just kept weeping. This would indicate to me that its full, no? ( I referenced the FJ as in when filling the rear diff, you know its full when you can't get it to take anymore because it runs out the fill hole) as in what the final drive was doing in this case for me.....I'm gonna check it again tomorrow to see if she will accept anymore fluid after going for a short ride today. Didn't appear to have any issues today however. Ran great......

·
Mr.Fix It
8,101 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I pulled the drain plug for the final drive as the fluid exited the drive as expected. When I went to fill after about 5 ounces it wouldn't take anymore, came running back out the fill hole. Tried several times after spinning the wheel as well and just kept weeping. This would indicate to me that its full, no? ( I referenced the FJ as in when filling the rear diff, you know its full when you can't get it to take anymore because it runs out the fill hole) as in what the final drive was doing in this case for me.....I'm gonna check it again tomorrow to see if she will accept anymore fluid after going for a short ride today. Didn't appear to have any issues today however. Ran great......
Strange thing. The drain plug is truly the lowest point of the fd, so when opening it and let it drain for a moment, there should be no oil at all. And when filling exactly 180 ml the oil level should be well below the filling hole.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
754 Posts
Its would indicate that its over full in the case of this bike.

·
Registered
2013 GTL - 1993 CBR900RR
16 Posts
Well the measuring bottle was off by about an ounce, meaning it was an ounce more. I checked it with a more precise measuring device. That said when I drained it again, it did only drain approximately 180ml as I measured what came out. I refilled with a measured 180ml again and this time it did not run back out. I also think that my spout had something to do with the blowback on my first attempt. I re-egineered that system with a small hose to insert instead of a pointed nozzle. Anyway I believe its fine now and even though it appeared I may have overfilled the first time, I don't believe it was as the amount that drained was on par with that 180ml amount. Anyway I thank everyone for their advice and information.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
754 Posts
161 - 180 of 210 Posts