BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything that can't be used to cleans the wheels on a 2018 GTL? On my Victory Vision I can't use non aluminum cleaners. Just making sure there's no issue for the GTL before I clean them.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just use the same car wash soap I use on the rest of the bike. I clean everything else first and do the wheels last.
Same. Except I usually have a separate sponge for the wheels as they tend to have more sediment on them that I prefer to stay contained to the “whee sponge”. Lol.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Same. Except I usually have a separate sponge for the wheels as they tend to have more sediment on them that I prefer to stay contained to the “whee sponge”. Lol.
I use micro fiber towels and they go in the washing machine when Im finished. If the wheels are exceptionally gross then I have old towels to use on them.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Like the others have said the same wash you do the bike with and rinse them off then dry them with a bath or microfiber towel. I polish them every two mths. Any tar, you can use WD40, most white spirits or eucalyptus oil. The only downfall with white spirits is you should polish the wheels again. By washing the wheels regally you won't get the build-up of hard to remove brake dust or pitting.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ditto to carwash soap and water. Reaching them is the only difficult part.
Just take the bags off every time.!! the one thing the RT/GT and GTL make easy to do.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Table spoon of dish soap Dawn or Palmolive to a bottle of 1 liter with warm or hot water (Cool water in the winter months). Everything comes off !!! no issues on any metal or plastics.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you use dish soap, remember to keep it off of any bodywork. The grease-cutting gents will strip the wax. Has several have mentioned above are use regular car wash soap and get the tough stuff off with WD-40. I am a big fan of the gunmetal gray wheels on my bike they don’t show the dust and grime as bad as black or silver.

·
Premium Member
6,387 Posts
Soap/water. Hardest part of cleaning the front wheel is gaining access. I bought a cheap front wheel paddock just for raising/cleaning the front wheel.

Duane

·
Registered
272 Posts
Soap/water. Hardest part of cleaning the front wheel is gaining access. I bought a cheap front wheel paddock just for raising/cleaning the front wheel.

Duane

I just put bike on center stand. I’m strong enough to spin front wheel while it’s on the ground with one hand and clean that way. Lol
E06C949D-B0D2-470D-8CF4-6BCF04AC0944.jpeg

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
When I take my wheels off to get the tires changed, I clean them thoroughly with Goo Gone and then rinse them off really well. Nothing else I've found gets the adhesive from the previous wheel weights off so easily.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts

Duane

Oh ****...that looks nice.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Plexus and Micro fiber towels on the whole bike, Terry towel and Brakleen on the rotors. Pit Bull front stand and Handy lift because I'm old and too lazy to crawl around on the floor anymore :D

·
Registered
148 Posts

Duane

Are you able to use this with the bike on the center stand? Curious if that would work on a B. The lower stance may be an issue. I can see the rear tire hitting ground before the front wheel paddock gets over-center.

Zach

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just put bike on center stand. I’m strong enough to spin front wheel while it’s on the ground with one hand and clean that way. Lol
View attachment 140705

.......and that’s what happens when you use your left arm too much?

I’ll leave that comment there 😉

1 - 20 of 36 Posts