BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
Are you able to use this with the bike on the center stand? Curious if that would work on a B. The lower stance may be an issue. I can see the rear tire hitting ground before the front wheel paddock gets over-center.

Zach
Oh yes, bike is rock solid on the center stand and paddock.

Duane

·
Registered
677 Posts
When I take my wheels off to get the tires changed, I clean them thoroughly with Goo Gone and then rinse them off really well. Nothing else I've found gets the adhesive from the previous wheel weights off so easily.
Mentholated Turps does the same thing or even WD40

·
Registered
677 Posts
Oh yes, bike is rock solid on the center stand and paddock.

Duane
I love the way you think Duane. Saves a lot of pulling on the front to move it from one section to the other.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
I wax my wheels. Dust and crud don't stick as readily and it makes cleaning easier. As mentioned, use carwash mix, as it does not strip off wax.

Obviously, coat of wax doesn't last forever, but the bit of extra work is well worth it overall. As much as I'm OCD about keeping my bikes clean, it's not exactly my favorite thing to do. Anything that helps reduce the labor is a plus.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Are you able to use this with the bike on the center stand? Curious if that would work on a B. The lower stance may be an issue. I can see the rear tire hitting ground before the front wheel paddock gets over-center.

Zach
If you get a front stand be sure it's not so tall that it causes the rear tire to contact the ground. That can start unloading the center stand effecting stability.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you get a front stand be sure it's not so tall that it causes the rear tire to contact the ground. That can start unloading the center stand effecting stability.
That's exactly what I was curious about. With the B model being a bit lower than GT variants I could see this B'ing an issue.....

Zach

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
That's exactly what I was curious about. With the B model being a bit lower than GT variants I could see this B'ing an issue.....

Zach
My standard PitBull front stand that I used on my S1000rr was just slightly to tall for the K but they make a shorter one for the K. There are lot's of stands out there that are adjustable or short enough that will work. They're a great thing to have in the garage. The Pitbulls are pricey but built like a tank and super easy to use.

·
Registered
151 Posts
My standard PitBull front stand that I used on my S1000rr was just slightly to tall for the K but they make a shorter one for the K. There are lot's of stands out there that are adjustable or short enough that will work. They're a great thing to have in the garage. The Pitbulls are pricey but built like a tank and super easy to use.
I'm going to snag the one Gunnert posted a link to. For the amount of use it will get (just cleaning front wheel) it looks like great value for the money.

Zach

·
Registered
18 Posts

These work great for wheel cleaning too.

·
Registered
633 Posts

Zach
I don't know how close to the ground a B rear wheel is when it's on the center stand, but I am sure you can get front wheel paddock stands that are adjustable in height so that both wheels are off the ground when lifted with the center stand down. BTW, It is dangerous to use a front wheel stand without either a center stand or rear wheel paddock stand. I have a GTL and use a Woodcraft front stand, adjusted so the rear wheel doesn't touch the ground.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Is there anything that can't be used to cleans the wheels on a 2018 GTL? On my Victory Vision I can't use non aluminum cleaners. Just making sure there's no issue for the GTL before I clean them.
There are 2 excellent cleaners that I use to remove brake dust and grime from all types of rims, including painted rims that will not damage your wheels. S-100 motorcycle cleaner, and Dawn dishwashing liquid. I use Dawn mostly on my wheels so I don't waste the S100 cleaner, as it's more expensive. I use the S100 spray around the engine and hidden areas that I can't get at with a wash mitt and Dawn. Works great!
Kevin

·
Registered
677 Posts
A real cheap cleaner that won't hurt your painted wheels etc. is Sugar Soap. works a treat on stubborn brake dust.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts