BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,my clutch acts up when I first take off it screeches when I let the lever out.And engages hard with no slippage when cold.My 2012 gtl has 70k and I'm using the blue stuff from bmer bone yard ,anybody else having similar problems?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Sorry, that's a new one, to me. Doesn't sound good, though.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Blue stuff?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Blue stuff is the clutch fluid

When did it last have an oil service. Is it the right oil, has it had added a friction modifier (wet multiplate clutch). Has the clutch master cylinder been overfilled

·
Registered
534 Posts
As long as it isn't a metal to metal sound, we used to have that type of problem with bikes that sat for longer lengths of time. Just sitting, the clutch face plates get sticky, jerky and can make noise until they "wear back in". Usually just riding them for a while would resolve the problem, but if it persists it could be worn clutch plates, loose clutch bolts or weak clutch springs. Are you having to pull the clutch lever further than you remember to disengage the clutch? That could also be a symptom of wear. Assuming you have followed directions as far as the oil used, you might also check the clutch master for overfill, as Mole99 suggested. Although I would think you would know if you overfilled the master. That could lead to the noise but probably not the jerkiness.

It may not be a bad idea to take off the clutch side case and do some investigation. It isn't difficult. Drain the oil, remove the clutch cover, take loose the clutch bolts, springs and plates. Make sure to keep the plates in order. Measure the plate faces and spring lengths for serviceability, replace as necessary. Put the clutch plates back in the same order. Retorque the clutch bolts to spec.

Worst case, if it is metal to metal sound (and you should be able to tell), you have a broken clutch bolt. Don't ride it or start it! Continuing to ride it like this can lead to major engine failure.

Let us know how this turns out. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
My old K12GT had these exact issues, was a bad clutch. I rode it that way for 20K after it started and never had much of a problem but eventually, I did replace the clutch and no more noises.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
one last thought, as you seem to have replaced the clutch fluid, did you manage to bleed it successfully

·
Registered
843 Posts
Although I've no experience with this K1600 clutch, this does sound indicative of a worn throw out bearing. (One day I'll take mine apart, but that day will not be soon :) )

·
Registered
794 Posts
As the clutch wears it raises the fluid level, so it can become overfilled all by itself. But I don't think that would make the "screeching" symptoms described.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I don't think we are clear about where the screech emanates from - I'm guessing it's a slightly metallic noise from the clutch itself, accompanied by a slight jerkiness when operated, at least until the bike warms up thoroughly. Assuming the oil level is set correctly & has been refreshed to spec at service, then it sounds like she it calling for a new clutch to me.

Here is the diagram....... https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0612-USA-03-2012-K48-BMW-K_1600_GTL_0602,_0612_&diagId=21_0258

Just step back a page or two, following the blue text if you need to know more about the slave mechanism or casing detail.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi squibb,the screeche seems to come from the clutch master cylinder or the fluid line itself. I've tried bleeding it several times both ways with a plastic syringe from the slave cylinder bleed screw and by pumping the handle too.Seems to only act up when the bike is started for the 1st time.

·
Premium Member
2,274 Posts
Hi I change my oil every 6k miles and use 10 ~40 4T Castrol , do U think it could be the wrong viscosity?
Apparently it depends on which year owner manual you are reading.

From my 2012 manual:

From my 2018 manual:

:confused:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi I've tried bleeding it all different ways,with no luck.Going to go back to 5~40 engine oil and see if that could be the problem, I've been using 10~40 .thanks dennis

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If changing the viscosity back to 5~40 does not do the trick,I think I'm gonna open it up and investigate maybe the plates need cleaning?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
70K, not sure how or what type of driving you do but my money is on a failing clutch.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok I switched to 5 - 40 Castrol and the clutch problem seems to have gone away. Bike does not act up when taking off anymore!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts