BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just this week bike started having starting issues with the temperature still in the 60s. First crank of the day takes 3 to 4 attempts. Tried the slightly open throttle which is recommended in the manual for low ambient start and experienced the same results. After first days crank the rest of the day it cranks and runs fine. Guy at dealership said probably dirty injectors and bmw may not warranty locating problem. Seems to me if it was dirty injectors it would affect all around performance all the time not just cold starts. Any suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ron

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
The 2011-12 models had a cold start problem early on if any of you recall and BMW came up with a download to remedy it and a few other things. Kind of thought that they had fixed that so the battery may be the correct answer?

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
My 2013 GTL has idle issues when I first start it. It also skips a beat or two if I take off right after starting it cold (55+ degrees F). I am not sure if this is a cold start issue (didn't have it this spring, or last year), or something that developed after my 18k mile service.

·
Registered
642 Posts
One of the suggestions above was to use a little more throttle. I assume that he meant use the throttle while starting. I'd recommend against that. The K16's remember if you use throttle to start and they adapt so that, over time, adding throttle is required. The bike should start properly without adding throttle.

I've experienced this starting problem. I can resolve it now, but can't say for sure what the problem is. It may be injectors, so I occasionally add RXP and I make a point to ride it hard to keep them flowing. It may be the subtle change in summer to winter blend gas and it just takes the bike time to adapt.

Bottom line, if I experience an occasion sessional rough start, I add injector cleaner and ride it hard and often. It clears up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,760 Posts
This is kind of a stab in the dark and it may not be related but have you tried to do a TPS reset? I saw a post in a thread where someone said it helped him when his bike was hard to start (post 14). I don't know what his (exeunter) definition of hard to start is. The quote in that post says what to do but I believe there's a 2 second hold each time you open the throttle and you don't have to turn the key off when done.
This is normally related to resetting the throttle position after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery so this may be a long stretch but it would be easy to try and find out if it helps. One cycle of resetting the TPS would be sufficient, IMO.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Just for the heck of it' try adding a little Star-Tron fuel additive. I use it all the time and sure smooths things out. With the crappy fuel we have to deal with it sure helps. GT

·
Registered
30 Posts
After a cold spell a couple of weeks ago, I had a cold start issue with BOTH my K1600 and S1000R. A few starts were needed to keep the bikes running and idle was rough for a second or two.

On an S1000R forum, this seems to be more of an issue with US bikes. Some surmise it's an EPA issue... Lean mapping at startup to comply with pollution requirements that gets more pronounced as weather gets colder. I don't pretend to know what that means, but it sounds good!

Have we switched over to winter blend yet? Both my bikes were filled the day prior, although the tanks were not empty... Maybe half.

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
I had cold start issues right when I got the bike; she just seemed "cold blooded" for a minute or two after stat up too. Didn't do anything, and it seemed to work itself out.

I attributed it to a night new engine (as my "guess", since it stopped after about a week)...

·
Registered
36 Posts
My new '14 GTLE also has this problem. Only when cold (~50 F or lower). It turns over just fine, so I doubt it is a battery issue. It will try to hit for a second and as soon as the starter is released, it dies. After 2 or 3 times, it finally cranks. It runs slightly rough for about 30 seconds if you just let it idle. If you rev the engine off idle, it will smooth out. Once warm, no issues. I can't accept this is normal for a modern FI engine. Even my S1000RR cranks first time in the same conditions. I've only got 2800 miles on it and always use top-tier gasoline, so I doubt it is dirty injectors as some have surmised. Sort of disappointing for a $30k machine....

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Sounds like you might have a bit of water in the fuel. If you leave it sit for an extended period of time with less than a full tank condensation occurs with our great ethanol injected fuel.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Do you keep the bike on a battery tender 24/7 while sitting? Temps have been well below average in KC for most of Nov. with garage temps in the low 40's I'd guess. My bikes live on a tender and no matter the temps they light at the touch on the starter. No stumble, no 3-4 revolutions just instant go. Same goes for my Guzzi, and you know how temperamentle Italians (bikes) can be. A battery at full 100% charge might be helpful.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
NC - Exclusive owner 30 degrees ..no issues

My new '14 GTLE also has this problem. Only when cold (~50 F or lower). It turns over just fine, so I doubt it is a battery issue. It will try to hit for a second and as soon as the starter is released, it dies. After 2 or 3 times, it finally cranks. It runs slightly rough for about 30 seconds if you just let it idle. If you rev the engine off idle, it will smooth out. Once warm, no issues. I can't accept this is normal for a modern FI engine. Even my S1000RR cranks first time in the same conditions. I've only got 2800 miles on it and always use top-tier gasoline, so I doubt it is dirty injectors as some have surmised. Sort of disappointing for a $30k machine....
Not long after I got my '13 GTL - I put in a lithium battery and when I traded up to my '14 Exclusive I put that battery in the new bike. I ride everyday to work and lately temps in NC have been low 40's to low 30's, keep the bike in a non-headed garage but it starts every day right away with no throttle input at all.
#1: take the leads off of the battery and tape the lead ends together overnight - my k1200 book said this resets the bikes computer to baseline - as the ECU learns your riding style.
#2: after hooking up the battery without any throttle input press firmly on the starter button (neutral, side stand) after pressing the ON button and letting the bike sit for 20 to 30 seconds. (allows the computer to read the sensors). See if it starts right off.
#3: if not, then reset the throttle positioning sensor - I have never had to do this but I think the manual has the directions - if not there should be a post on the forum.
#3: if this does not work - then definitely take it to the dealer as you may have a loose wire or bad sensor somewhere or a faulty fuel pump (think I read one or two posts about new K's having this issue).

It is not normal to not start right away.

Hope you get it figured out...and by the way - get a lithium battery it will save you so much frustration you won't regret it.

Cheers. From NC...

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
When I took my 2014 Exclusive in for its 600 mile service, I was told they performed a computer update. When I pressed what the update was for, they said to resolve a cold start issue.
I thought it was odd a brand new cycle needed an update, but for "cold start"? Cold start issues should have been resolved many revisions ago. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My bike and I are desert dwellers. In the lovely Phoenix heat, my K1600B starts just fine. This past weekend I was in Alpine, AZ and it was 30 degrees in the morning.
The bike cranked just fine, but it would start for a second or two and then die. Giving it any throttle killed it immediately. After about 7 start tries, it did keep running (roughly) and finally cleared up and ran well.
I haven't done the TPS reset yet, just read about it.
But to me, it seemed like maybe the ambient air temperature sensor wasn't working properly. I say this because it was like starting a carb bike in the cold with no choke enabled.
Anyone know if there's a way I can read the computer failure codes without a GS-911?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Every 3 fills of my usual 93 octane, I add just a 1/4 recommended fuel injection cleaner and I would say, I never had an issue. And, I never advance the throttle before starting.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Having exact same scenario. Did you ever find a fix ?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
with a gs911 reset the calibrations

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
My bike and I are desert dwellers. In the lovely Phoenix heat, my K1600B starts just fine. This past weekend I was in Alpine, AZ and it was 30 degrees in the morning.
The bike cranked just fine, but it would start for a second or two and then die. Giving it any throttle killed it immediately. After about 7 start tries, it did keep running (roughly) and finally cleared up and ran well.
I haven't done the TPS reset yet, just read about it.
But to me, it seemed like maybe the ambient air temperature sensor wasn't working properly. I say this because it was like starting a carb bike in the cold with no choke enabled.
Anyone know if there's a way I can read the computer failure codes without a GS-911?
There is no button sequence that can trigger a flashing light to let you what is an issue, gs911 or dealer

1 - 20 of 41 Posts