BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there-

Finally after 16 years of riding on my husband's Honda VFR for only a few hours (max!) at a time due to it being SO uncomfortable, we are wanting to get our dream bike GTL-E. However, he is super worried about my comfort and though he definitely wants a GTL-E as well, needs confirmation this bike will sustain my comfort for our 3-4 day hike to Montana cross-country this summer. Please tell me how your passenger rides and their opinion, please!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife and I have been riding for years together. One thing we both found out is the factory seats suck. We have always used Russell Day long. We have never needed to have it redone. Also spring for the adjustable passenger floor boards. Once you get those dialed in with the seat you will be good for all day rides. My wife loves both me R1200RT and My K1600GTL. Here is a pic with it set up perfect for her.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
My wife loves the pillion seat on the GTL. She has tried riding as a passenger on other bikes and cannot wait to get back on the k1600.

She had a few complaints Initially which were; slippery seat under braking which was addressed with a 20.00 tribo seat cover, wind coverage which were addressed with a larger wind screen, and she requested armrests after seeing them on another bike. She has asked about larger foot boards instead of pegs and we will probably address that this year.

After riding other bikes she likes the suspension, seat, heated seat, and the fact that she can easily see around me
Our typical rides are 4-6 hours, we have done 8 and her only complaint was that I didn’t plan enough shopping time along the way.

She is 5’9” and a curvy build.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
My wife is comfortable to ride nearly all day on the back of my 18 GTL. Not so on my previous Honda. We still have the stock BMW seats, but that will get remedied to a RDL this summer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another pic. Another good change is the windscreen so you do not get beat up by the wind I went with the Jrock. Love it.

·
Premium Member
6,409 Posts
Don't limit yourself to just the GTL. I've been riding a GT 7+ years and taken several, 2-up, cross country/multi-day trips with the wife. I had the stock seat redone by Rick Mayer and either put on the top case or the Dusak Backrest. No complaints from pillion. I say this because as the driver if you gave me a GTL I'd sell it. I very much prefer the ergonomics of the GT over the GTL.

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am also on a GT. Came from an FJR. It might be more similar to the VFR than the K is. I added a topbox with back pad to both. I ride solo most of the time. But I love taking my wife with me for weekend long rides and planning cross country rides in the future. She likes the K better because there is just more room for her than we had on the FJR. It allows us both to shift our sitting positions for comfort on longer rides. We upgraded to a full double RDL seat and it makes a huge difference in added hours of comfort. She is fine with the stock foot pegs and has no real interest in arm rests. I ride with a stock windscreen but we will likely end up with a vented Wunderlich for 2up distance riding for better wind protection with reduced back pressure. I think her mileage limit might be about 400-500 a day for her to enjoy it for days. It’s just a bike that fits our needs and riding style. I don’t see a better option on the market. Best of luck deciding. Rent a couple on EagleRider if dealer won’t allow extended test rides.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
The wind buffet problem is a common complaint with the stock windshield. When my pillion had her initial 2 hour ride, that was her one complaint...I hadn't warned her, but it did not surprise me. I just received my Aeroflow Hybrid screen and hope that will alleviate the wind issue. I have already upgraded my seat to an RDL, as have many others...she liked the seat. Armrests or floorboards could be other options down the road, but will wait and see how next months longer ride goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As we were looking for a two-up touring bike, the wife and I test ridden other models, mostly cruisers like HD and Indian. My wife initially preferred the cruisers over the GTL on test rides because of the height of the seat for the passenger on the GTL. But for comfort and wind protection the GTL was better with the exeption of knee angle. We ended up buying an used 2013 model which had the Russell seat, Aeroflow screen and winglets, and brand new Wilbers shocks installed. Comfort is even better than stock. The tall screen and winglets help reducing the turbulence on the passenger, but does not completely remove it. I have to keep the screen all the way up to push the air "mostly" above her helmet. I personally think having the fairing deflectors open help reduce turbulence on the sides of the bike hitting the arms and shoulders - but in cold weather that could make one feel colder...
Being a 2013 model, my bike has the old fairing design. I recall reading somewhere the new fairing is a bit better for reducing turbulence, but I have not tried it out myself.
I think the turbulence is because of the large distance between passenger and windscreen - hard to create a large enough bubble of calm air at highway speeds. I understand the GTL-E has the topbox mounted an inch or two further back, giving the passenger more room, but also increasing that distance to the windscreen. I have not ridden a GTL-E, but suspect the passenger could be more exposed to turbulent air, compared to the regular GTL.
When it rains, I remain completely dry, don't even need to bother putting rain gear on (my gloves and boots are waterproof). The wife gets some rain on the shoulders, arms and helmet.
The RDL seat is great. We took a trip all the way to Jackson, WY last year. 4 days with about 9-12 hours of riding time to get there, via the badlands of SD and Yellowstone. No problem for either one of us. During the trip, we swapped bikes for an hour with friends (Indian Roadmaster). My wife hated it, especially because of the wind and the noise (she hates rumbling exhausts...). We both noticed how better the RDL seat is that any stock seat out there.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
My wife and I have ridden many 12+ hour days in a row on our GT, it has a RDL one piece GTL seat and a top case with a back rest. She complained on every single non BMW bike we've owned but never says a thing about her comfort on this bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My SO loves this bike, the big complaint for her (and me) was the stock windshield, I have a sport model GT that came with a shorty screen that didn’t work well for either of us. The stock seat even worked fine for her, but we have a Sargent now that’s even better. Usually when I pull over she’s saying something like “why are we stopping?” Or “it doesn’t seem like we’ve been going very long.” I feel like I’ve created a monster (Not really, lol)

·
Registered
453 Posts
My wife loves the GTL-E because of the arm rests. I have an RDL, Cee Bailey windscreen and adjustable foot boards as mentioned previously. It is a different perspective as you can see over the operators head so your view is better.
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
@Czargirl, are you related to another member here whose name also begins with "czar". I ask because you can count on one hand the number of women on this forum (as I have observed it). Either way, it is good to see balance.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Agree with Gunnert about looking at the GT as the ergonomics are very different for the rider between the GT and GTL. Buying the GT required purchasing a GTL one piece seat and a top case for pillion comfort when riding 2 up.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
2014 GTL-E
Arm rests are a MUST for my wife, had them sinth the LT days...
AeroFlow screen & MiniWings
Russel Tan 100% Leather Day long seat
Cup holder for her
BMW Com System
Spend the money for a GREAT helmet!
MANY Cross country trips to every state besides Alaska & Hawaii
Flawless operation.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts