BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had something worrisome happen on my way home today. The bike suddenly loss all engine lower with the traction control light flashing. It was like the engine just shut off, still had electrics. Rolled to the side of the road, shut the bike off, back on and so far it's fine.

I noticed this a few times before, but it was just momentary so I thought my hand slipped on the throttle or something, but it always felt odd, like a quick loss of power and then it was back, no warning lights.

This time it was severe, complete engine off, flashing traction light.

Anyone experience this before?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
International Man of Mystery
3,409 Posts
Any engine warning light appearing on ignition on? Engine off means not running or just powering down to idle.
At the minimum find a gs911 and read out fault conditions.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
i would look at the speed sensor discs, straight, no chips, and then the magnetic readers and look for magnetic swarf

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Had something worrisome happen on my way home today. The bike suddenly loss all engine lower with the traction control light flashing. It was like the engine just shut off, still had electrics. Rolled to the side of the road, shut the bike off, back on and so far it's fine.

I noticed this a few times before, but it was just momentary so I thought my hand slipped on the throttle or something, but it always felt odd, like a quick loss of power and then it was back, no warning lights.

This time it was severe, complete engine off, flashing traction light.

Anyone experience this before?

@reggiehammond has experienced this issue twice that I am aware of. I believe his bike is a 2016 GTL. The latest occurrence was in Late August during the Colorado BBQ event. Hopefully he will share his first hand experience in the thread. I believe it all happened very fast with all dash lights going out, then engine power. I also recall him telling me that loss of power to his NAV unit may have preceded the larger symptoms. He had a dealer appointment for diagnosis but that is all I know.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speed sensor came to mind but then I'd expect abs errors. I just did a test, and hit the Kil switch while riding. Exactly the same response, dead power and flashing traction light. Power off feeling was what I've felt. Wonder if I have a switch cluster going ba

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any engine warning light appearing on ignition on? Engine off means not running or just powering down to idle.
At the minimum find a gs911 and read out fault conditions.
Nope no warning lights. Bike was fine for the balance of the 250 mile ride home. I have a gs911 and will check for codes. Really odd.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Nope no warning lights. Bike was fine for the balance of the 250 mile ride home. I have a gs911 and will check for codes. Really odd.
Strange. I'm inclined to agree/ the switch cluster failure or loose connection within.
There are super SMALL wires & connectors within.
Easy to check.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
As Chris said, i've had a couple of weird electrical issues. Last summer, I had an instance where the dash including nav went off, engine kept running and after 7-8 seconds, it all came back on.

This summer, my Nav kept resetting while on the Grand Mesa; but wasn't causing any other issues. Coming back up, it was in the middle of a GPS reset and in a corner, I hit a bump and everything went dead. Luckily I didn't hit any fellow riders as I bailed off in a little gravel pull out. As I slowly rolled into the pull off, it fired back up on first try and I went to pull back in to the roadway and dropped it due to being in neutral. Embarrassing.

Haven't had the chance to get it back to dealer after the 1200 miles since; but will post if anything comes up.

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
My current (no pun intended) electrical gremlin is about 10% of the time my Nav IV won't fire up when I turn on the key. When it happens I have to pop it out (a real MF to get to and push that button with my f'd up fingers. Have to push real hard on the internal release button) and slap it back into place. I've tried cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol but that apparently didn't help.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far haven't been able to duplicate the issue. I'm not into swapping parts for the sake of it, especially at the price of BMW parts. So I'll keep looking.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
As Chris said, i've had a couple of weird electrical issues. Last summer, I had an instance where the dash including nav went off, engine kept running and after 7-8 seconds, it all came back on.

This summer, my Nav kept resetting while on the Grand Mesa; but wasn't causing any other issues. Coming back up, it was in the middle of a GPS reset and in a corner, I hit a bump and everything went dead. Luckily I didn't hit any fellow riders as I bailed off in a little gravel pull out. As I slowly rolled into the pull off, it fired back up on first try and I went to pull back in to the roadway and dropped it due to being in neutral. Embarrassing.

Haven't had the chance to get it back to dealer after the 1200 miles since; but will post if anything comes up.
Well it is now that you told everybody!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Loss of power

Marc, I had similar event 2 years ago. It happened twice in 3 weeks. I was about to take it to the shop but as the battery was 4 years old I changed it and has not happened since.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marc, I had similar event 2 years ago. It happened twice in 3 weeks. I was about to take it to the shop but as the battery was 4 years old I changed it and has not happened since.
Huh, now that throws me for a loop. I'm planning on replacing my battery this winter anyway, but is really odd.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
These bikes with canbus systems are really sensitive to battery voltage. I had problems restarting my S1000r several times when it was just under two years old. Oddly, it happened during gas stops after I had already ridden 100 miles and more, so it never occurred to me it could be a battery issue. I saw something posted on the forum for that bike that lead me to check the battery.

I learned of a test that Yuasa recommends where you put a voltmeter on the battery and watch what the voltage drops to when you hit the starter. They say it should not drop below ten volts. Mine dropped to 9.8. Because I had been riding it several hundred miles every weekend their was no point in even putting a trickle charger on it, so I bought a new battery and it never did it again.

Fast forward to three days ago. As most of you know, I had not ridden in two months due to my bypass surgery. I had stared all of the bikes a couple of times in my garage, but never enough to really put a charge on them. Sunday I took my Superduke GT out for a ride. I stopped for coffee about ten miles from my house. When I came back out and restarted it, the starter hesitated a second then the bike started. But the bike has two LCD displays and both of them were blank. I immediately shut it off and restarted it. The LCDs worked okay but I had an error message and the check engine light and an orange triangle warning light also came on.

I rode the bike home and it ran fine. I shut it off, waited a couple of minutes and restarted it. The warning lights were still on. At the suggestion of a guy on the Superduke forum I decided to put my Battery Tender on it. It took about 30-45 minutes to fully charge. I let it sit for an hour or so then went out and restarted it. No more warning lights. I should have pointed out, it does have a canbus system also.

Short and answer to my long post is that it definitely could be the battery.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Sorry for bringing back a zombie thread... Been having issues with my 2015 GT for the last week. Started with speedo needle randomly jumping about. Then ABS & TC lights randomly flashing. Full dash going blank (Nav still on). Then it reboots after a bit (immediately to minutes later).

Only engine issue it it seems to stutter a bit when I first start riding.

Also, Clearwater brake light started pulsating. Disconnected the CanSmart to ensure it wasn't the issue, but dash issue persisted.

Headed out to get it hooked up to my 911 and see what codes it shows

·
Premium Member
2,306 Posts
Sounds like a loose or corroded ECU connector.

Reactions: Yukon_Cornelius

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
My issue seems to have been resolved after SIX weeks in the shop earlier this year. Corrosion deep in a wiring harness was finally found and I have not seen any other issues since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts