BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wanting to post few weeks ago and didn’t had been holding out hope of a positive outcome.
And really just can’t stand talking thinking or even typing about it anymore....but it’s now at point where I’m over it, all of it

Returned to dealer after, bike wasn’t right shifting worse and at high operating temperature, fan coming on, heard engine ticking at stop light, checked oil 1 days in a row, none on dipstick, bike was flat out awful performance wise, extremely rough shifting, sounded like gravel in gearbox, felt like towing a trailer, then had bike towed in.

Dealer confirmed nothing and tech notes said oil level perfect, no shifting issues. General manager contradicts tech in email to me saying oil level was a bit low and topped off.....wtf...I protested, but took bike. Bike was returned with level at max line hmmmmm
Bike still wasn’t close to right. My 3rd bmw, 12k on this one in 1 year, I know my bikes. So returned to dealer. Owner and GM had no answers, offered to take bike to his other dealership, i accepted and off it went

Did 12k service and they found some updates needed done, programming that might improve shifting...bike was returned ...no change.

I had been updated Bmw motorrad all along...finally was told I need another shop to verify my concerns before any help could be offered in any way. So since bike was no longer any fun to ride and honestly felt not safe, I took it to another dealer hot and half away.

First day there the tech confirmed bike has issues, not sure what, but confirmed what I had been saying. I called a week later was told waiting on tech line to advise, few days later I called was told tech line never responded, wtf, so they decided on their own to remove trans, rebuild it, WTF, reinstall to find problem still there. Hmmm. Submitted another email to tech line and waiting to hear again they said. This part is funny, I was also told they decided to swap tires from a new bike because they thought it might be tires, WTF 2x, ya seriously.

while I’ve been in contact with BMW since beginning, I haven’t received 1 phone call from dealer where bike is now, still there, since July 3.....I e made my way up ladder to Dewey Gatts who I’ve been told more than once is the absolute highest person on ladder to assist me, he is I checked. Problem now is even he won’t call me back in over a week. I’ve made it clear they can either replace it or buy it back. I’m making bike payments and insurance on a bike that has been down 48 of last 95 days. I’m over it and over typing...I’m sure I left out some details....
Never experienced anything close to customer assistance/support being so none existent

·
Premium Member
1,896 Posts
I'm so sorry. I feel for ya. This sounds like just a horrible position to be in. I hope some decent resolution comes from all the trouble.

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Besides being probably the most therapeutic time in history to own a bike, pandemic, at every level they have basically told me they really don’t give a *%!#, which just sucks

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also I’m not big on this method but it seems to work. You can tell your story on twitter and on YouTube and @ the Dealeship and bmw. Only state facts you have evidence for. Leave emotion out of it. Facts only and let the Twitterverse and Youniverse draw their own conclusions.

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not on twitter or any of the rest of it for that matter. Not on social media, this is the only blog I belong....yes, it’s all about the facts

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'd take the bike to another dealership not owned or managed by the same person and see what they think. Sounds like your bike was messed up by the trans recall work. Should be fairly easy to document.

You're right, it sux. Many people complain that we live in a litigious society, but there's a time and place for it. Give them a chance to make it right, then call in a good lawyer.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm beyond disappointed for the way you've been treated. Look up the California Lemon Law, and you might be close to being able to take legal action. It's never good to have to take the nuclear option, but educate yourself on the law's provisions, and throw out the possibility if BMW NA doesn't step up. You shouldn't have to be going through this.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
You found a dealer that confirmed there is an issue. That is 90% of the battle. Yet, just ~3 weeks in, with an unusual problem, and you're going ballistic. How often are you calling them? Perhaps they're just busy. This is their busy season, and even more so with Covid. Who else should have their work not done to squeeze you in? How many other customers should they delay to cater to you? Sometimes businesses decide certain customers are a lose-lose situation and they don't bother to try to make them happy because they figure they can't so they focus on those they can. Are you one of those?

·
Upside Down
1,182 Posts
Not on twitter or any of the rest of it for that matter. Not on social media, this is the only blog I belong....yes, it’s all about the facts
I feel for you and like you don't belong to any social media other than this forum. But you can bluff the dealership and Motorrad with emails by alerting them that you don't wish to go down that track, but if they are not prepared to correspond with you and help you then you have no alternative than to do so. I would also be saying I am happy to go to whatever authority you have there that can also assist you in getting a positive result. I have aGenesis that a dealership buffed and stuffed my paint plus the car was Black that made it worse. One day out of the dealership and returned the next day to show them. I pushed for 6 months with emails to the Manufacturer and GM of the dealership. Long story I know everyone said there was no way I would get my car replaced lol. Well with a lot of record-keeping and treats as above I ended up with a brand new car a year newer with all the accessories I had on my 6-month-old one that they stuffed up. So it pays to sing out loud and strong. Don't give up. We don't have Lemon Laws here in Australia but we do have consumer laws that help when you need them. Knowing your legal rights helps also. I know a lot don't and that's what some manufacturers and dealerships love.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I had a ring land on a piston break in my 2018 B. If I didn't buy a used motor off ebay and force them to install it I probably would not have been riding that bike for 6 or more months. Doing it my way it took 3 weeks. BMW takes absolutely no responsibility for their products and the repair there of. Customer service or the lack there of is pretty common, and it's a **** shame because when the bike is right, there's nothing better out there on the road.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have recently had my 3rd warranty visit to the dealer this year.
1. The gearbox recall
2. Gas cap wont open/lock
3. Oil leak from gearbox area.

Last one, bmw couldnt provide timeline for part, so my dealer called local rep, i called cs and bmw said they would replace whole gearbox to fix leak. So my experience whilst not good with so much downtime, was much better, based on your post, than yours.

I should be getting bike back friday, 3 weeks later, after i took it in.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You found a dealer that confirmed there is an issue. That is 90% of the battle. Yet, just ~3 weeks in, with an unusual problem, and you're going ballistic. How often are you calling them? Perhaps they're just busy. This is their busy season, and even more so with Covid. Who else should have their work not done to squeeze you in? How many other customers should they delay to cater to you? Sometimes businesses decide certain customers are a lose-lose situation and they don't bother to try to make them happy because they figure they can't so they focus on those they can. Are you one of those?
I think you're being a bit harsh.

I just finishing my own 4-month journey with BMW to fix excessive oil consumption. Once I got the dealer to accept the extent of the problem, the Service Manager told me to hold tight because he'd have the bike for a while. :oops: But he also said I could call anytime for updates if I didn't hear from him first. We had a "just checking in" call every 7-10 days. He'd update me on progress made (if it happened), and any new communications he'd had with BMW-NA. As the weeks turned into months, of course it got frustrating. But, I knew they were dealing with me in good faith and that there would eventually be a happy ending.

Comparatively, the OP appears to be getting treated like crap. I don't care how busy the dealer is. If they're swamped, they should say so to set the bar for expectations. No matter what the obstacles, they have an obligation to professionally communicate. That's sufficient for most rational people and deescalates tense situations.

In reading back more carefully at the OPs first post, I think he did jump the gun on "making it clear they can either replace it or buy it back". To BMW, that's code for taking legal action. The GM of my dealer told me the minute you escalate to that level, BMW-NA cooperation grinds down to a halt. He added that whatever time it takes to fix it will be shorter than going down the legal path. As I posted earlier, I do believe we should understand applicable lemon laws and when action could be taken. But I meant that as a last resort after all other reasonable attempts for a solution have failed.

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
I think you're being a bit harsh.

In reading back more carefully at the OPs first post, I think he did jump the gun on "making it clear they can either replace it or buy it back". To BMW, that's code for taking legal action.
And that is what I based my comments on.

The GM of my dealer told me the minute you escalate to that level, BMW-NA cooperation grinds down to a halt. He added that whatever time it takes to fix it will be shorter than going down the legal path. As I posted earlier, I do believe we should understand applicable lemon laws and when action could be taken. But I meant that as a last resort after all other reasonable attempts for a solution have failed.
Once you get to the demanding phase, you shut down their ability and desire to work with you.

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes Ref Cat was being a bit harsh. It’s difficult to communicate an entire process as I’m sure everyone knows and can appreciate. I never “demanded” anything from BMW, I’ve done exactly what they have asked from the start. What makes it difficult is when your selling dealer with whom you have invested greatly in, 3 bikes and thousands on accessories and gear from parts, simply shows you the door. I told bmw that going to another dealer I didn’t want to do because who wants another dealers “problem” dropped in their lap. That said, this dealer who has it now verified the problem within 1 day! So clearly they weren’t so busy making other customers happy. I’ve called them a total of 3 times in 1 month. I’ve received zero phone calls. The reasons or excuses mentioned why I’m the one who might be being harsh are simply incorrect. There is zero excuse. I simply want to ride

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Read Only
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes I’m sure I’m not one of those, far from going ballistic or nuclear I simply want to ride. Customer service is just that, customer service. I posted a reply to another’s post below, cheers and thanks for your reply

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Yes I’m sure I’m not one of those, far from going ballistic or nuclear I simply want to ride. Customer service is just that, customer service. I posted a reply to another’s post below, cheers and thanks for your reply
Didn't sound like it from your OP, but thanks for clarifying.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts