BMW K1600 Forum banner

Conti Road Attack 3 tyre could be the answer

6K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Geoff_3 
#1 ·
https://www.continental-tires.com/m...res/classic-classic-racing/contiroadattack3cr

I have only owned my 1600 GTL for over 18 months and travel a lot of kilometres on outback Australian sealed roads
When I was recently on a ride through New South Wales I needed to get the bike serviced and my front tyre was replaced with a Continental Road Attack 3 tyre.
The Dunlop Road Smart 3 that I was replacing had been ok but to be honest it didn’t get the mileage I expected and it was prone to making a lot of road noise
The Conti front tyre eliminated the road noise. After returning to Western Australia I replaced the rear Dunlop with the Conti which has a profile that absolutely suits my riding style
The handling characteristics of the bike have transformed the way I now ride. Cornering is now exhilarating and very responsive to a stage you forget you are riding a touring bike
Having ridden around 7000km on the Conti tyres my thoughts are if you are looking for a tyre that makes a difference this could be what you are looking for
I love what they have done for my riding experience and tyre wear to date is minimal

See less See more
#3 ·
If Conti Road Attacks is the answer, what is the question? I don’t know what the question is; but one question that I know is not the question is: What tires on a K1600 provide more mileage and are quieter on paved roads than Dunlop RSIIIs?
Aussie, I can’t imagine what riding style would give someone on a K1600 better, quieter mileage on Conti RA3s than on Dunlop RS IIIs. Perhaps, things are different in Australia with you guys riding on upside down roads while dodging strange animals like wombats, wallabys and platypuses (or is it platypis), and all.

#18 · (Edited)

LOL To miss the Platypuses or platypis you would have to ride under water so may be our bike should be Army Ducks lol I can see the new Australian K1600 Army Duck now lol
Last, of all, I have always found any tyre/tire that has an open tread compared to a rib type tread. The open tread pattern would generate more noise than a rib type pattern. In most cases, a rib tyre/ tire is for the front not the rear. But who really cares is anyone likes that brand and tread pattern then go for it.Tyres/Tires are like oils , everyone like one or the other and they all have their own reason why they like such a brand. Personally, When I bought my 2017 GTL it had Bridgestones on the bike from the factory , at first I was a little uneasy with them but found they were ok. I will try any brand after doing my research, but it will always come back to the best handling tyre in most conditions, mostly in the wet as I prefer to have a safer wet weather tyre/tire than one that slips around as if it was on the ice. Yes, the cost might be a factor but my safety and the handling would always come first and is my priority. The conditions you ride in might be different to what other riders do so that has to be considered when buying a tyre/tire as well. If I got a tyre /tire that I did not feel safe regardless of age It would be gone asap. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck to each and everyone and safe riding.

Attachments

#6 ·
A Conti tire positively transforming the handling of a K1600, e.g. "The handling characteristics of the bike have transformed the way I now ride. Cornering is now exhilarating and very responsive to a stage you forget you are riding a touring bike." I'll throw the flag and call BS.

Duane

Reactions: Geoff_3 and GTLen
#9 ·
My comment is NOT snarky. The OP observations are completely subjective based on his perception. I have about 35,000 miles on Dunlop RSIII. And another 50,000 miles on Metzlers, Pirellis, and Michelins. I've changed over 150 sets on tires on K1600 bikes. No my comment is not snarky, it's just calling out BS...

Duane

Reactions: Geoff_3
#8 ·
https://www.continental-tires.com/m...res/classic-classic-racing/contiroadattack3cr

I have only owned my 1600 GTL for over 18 months and travel a lot of kilometres on outback Australian sealed roads
When I was recently on a ride through New South Wales I needed to get the bike serviced and my front tyre was replaced with a Continental Road Attack 3 tyre.
The Dunlop Road Smart 3 that I was replacing had been ok but to be honest it didn’t get the mileage I expected and it was prone to making a lot of road noise
The Conti front tyre eliminated the road noise. After returning to Western Australia I replaced the rear Dunlop with the Conti which has a profile that absolutely suits my riding style
The handling characteristics of the bike have transformed the way I now ride. Cornering is now exhilarating and very responsive to a stage you forget you are riding a touring bike
Having ridden around 7000km on the Conti tyres my thoughts are if you are looking for a tyre that makes a difference this could be what you are looking for
I love what they have done for my riding experience and tyre wear to date is minimal

Got to ask, Conti site doesn't show a recommended fitments for the K1600, so what did they show horn onto your rims

#13 ·
Continental makes the tire in question in the size and load rating specified for the 1600. It is not listed as a recommended tire on their website, and I have no information as to why that is the case. There is no "GT" version of that tire that I have seen. Of course, there is also no GT version of the Dunlop. It simply meets the size, load, and speed requirements of the 1600, and is, without a doubt, a fine tire.

Because I have no experience using the Continental Road Attack 3 on the BMW, I have no point of comparison between it and any other tire. For that reason, as well as just no desire to rain on the OP's parade, I wish him many happy miles with his new tires.

#15 ·
Hi Mole999 Im not sure if spell check has changed something in your post but I don’t understand what you are asking. When it comes to fitting tyres for any of my bikes I mostly use the Tyre Doctor in Perth as I prefer electronic balancing to static balancing and they have all the expertise

#16 ·
As there is no attack 3 listed on the site for the K, I was wondering if the tyre diameters have been tweaked they should be
120/70/ZR17 & 190/55/ZR17.

The less stiffness could account for the quieter ride, the flexible tyre wall also may suffer under full loading, tyre fitments should be optimal on the road for the weight of the bike.

It would be interesting to review the allowable weight for the tyre against what is actual. A dutiful collision examiner should look at all these as the safety factors when calculating outcome

Just thoughts

#17 ·
As for the continental road attack 3 tires, rear tire for our k bikes have been discontinued. No replacement no explanation from the continental service representative the 190/55 17 gt is not available as noted earlier using a non gt model continental tire is not recommend due to the weight of our k bikes. I'm sure they have good mileage and handling but not available is the question of the day for this best tire quote. They have been discontinued for a year in the states.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.