BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Marin County on lockdown. Can’t even take a ride for 3 weeks. This Corona thing really a drag. How about the rest of you? I appreciate that it is a national emergency, but really, if I take a ride, by myself, who am I endangering?
No Isle of Man
No Austin GP
Even club races cancelled.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
you'll cough and infect the wildlife

·
Registered
752 Posts
I’m planning our ever changing government response... The boss didn’t appreciate this though...

It really sums up the responses so far... Perfect in every way but one....

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well that's interesting. I noticed gas stations are essential but am wondering if they will be open...

Only 23 of 159 in Ga have confirmed cases. I am really curious to see where we stand in two weeks - as in how many folks actually have it today. Maybe I should leave Atlanta Metro to a little lakeside cabin in Wrightsville, Ga while the leaving is good.

My other plan was just go walk the Appalachian Trail for a few weeks.

·
Registered
276 Posts
They will be open.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
The article below show some great simulations on the value of containment and self-isolation in slowing the spread of a virus to flatten the curve so our health care systems can keep up with the crisis.

This article was shared with me over the weekend. It is long and has a lot of detailed information. It is “blame free” and non-political relying heavily on published, public data. It does not bode well for what we shall see here in the US.

It shows that total containment is currently the only effective tool in preventing the spread of the virus. If our leaders will not set the standards for total containment, then we only have the option of self-containment.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Ok. Marin County on lockdown. Can’t even take a ride for 3 weeks. This Corona thing really a drag. How about the rest of you? I appreciate that it is a national emergency, but really, if I take a ride, by myself, who am I endangering?
No Isle of Man
No Austin GP
Take the long way to the grocery store. Just keep the panniers on to keep up appearances.

We're in uncharted territory. But I will test the limit of the "shelter in place" order if I feel like riding. Riding on your own has practically zero risk, much lower than even "essential" activities like grocery shopping. I think all that would happen is that you're told to go home, at this time anyway. Things could change.

I do have maintenance, lighting, and a camera I need to get to. So might also be a good reason to stay home and get that done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, woke up this morning and noticed people moving around like every other day. So, went to the lumber yard, which was open, picked up what we needed, texted the guys, told them to come back to work tomorrow. Apparently, not too many taking this shelter at home thing very seriously. So, back to work tomorrow, then out to the coast for a ride this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
If I wanted to ride, I would. My situation in that regard is much different than many of you where as I will see more traffic in the first 4 miles of my ride than the 45 miles after that.

Other than that, Ive had limited trips to town and have been busy here at home out in my shop building stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Actually, woke up this morning and noticed people moving around like every other day. So, went to the lumber yard, which was open, picked up what we needed, texted the guys, told them to come back to work tomorrow. Apparently, not too many taking this shelter at home thing very seriously. So, back to work tomorrow, then out to the coast for a ride this weekend.
i think people are taking it very seriously here, evening rush hour traffic tonight looked like an early sunday morning.

·
Registered
176 Posts
So no jogging, walking, etc...for how long? Talk about cabin fever. Is this in effect for San Francisco too?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I have had a trip to Home Depot each of the last three days. I pass the King Soopers and the Walmart each time. I am really surprised the grocery stores are still so packed. They are out of a bunch of stuff, yet the parking lots are twice as full (or more) than typical for those days and times. Hasn't everyone bought enough yet? Or is this just the people who didn't get their TP, etc and are hoping to catch some items being restocked? Even the Peterson AFB commissary was ransacked when we stopped by there on Saturday evening.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
So no jogging, walking, etc...for how long? Talk about cabin fever. Is this in effect for San Francisco too?
Real good question. I've seen some amount of conflicting information here. First off, all "non-essential" business is supposed to be closed. What is "non-essential"? Our Veterinarian is open, so is the local dog groomer who has a store front. The local BMW dealer is wide open. I got an email that the Audi dealership will keep service open, but sales will be reduced, if not closed. The local gun shop is closed (yes, I was heading there), and so are the hair salons (my wife got that notice, ha). All restaurant dining is supposed to be closed, but take out is OK.

We've been told not to be out and about without purpose. But other advise said go ahead and take your walks, go to the park, just maintain that social distance. I live in a neighborhood with a local park and a lot of outdoor activity, and that has not seemed to slow down at all.

Anecdotally, I walked out my driveway to the sidewalk to observe any normal activity. I saw a jogger heading my way on the sideway. So I stepped back up the driveway to the garage to give him plenty of distance. Sad state of things.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I dont know the situation in California but here in Colorado we were told to not sit in front of the TV and let it cause depression. If you get to feeling closed in, get outside and take a walk/hike, ride your bike, enjoy the outdoors. Just keep your distance from other people. This was straight from the governor himself, to which Im not a huge fan of but I do think its an important message. This isnt an airborne virus, its passed through close contact with other people. If you want to take a walk, ride your bike or motorcycle or even take a drive in your car.. I think you should just keep your distance from others.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Seems almost impossible to enforce. Most restaurants in my area are going to take-out only, but one owner just posted on social media that he’ll be open with limited seating. He said it was this or lose his business.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, things changed today. I think the authorities are looking to crack down a little more. At our construction project, which is simply an extensive remodel, the building inspector stopped by and told us to wrap it up. Our job is not essential. No work. Ok, I get it. We are done for a few weeks, so we will abide by that. But I’m thinking they don’t want to see us riding around on our K bikes either. Hopefully, this will pass quickly. And hoping people that contract the virus heal up quickly. I guess riding can wait. But hopefully soon. Good weather coming. I can certainly keep a 6 foot distance from others while riding the coast.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
No Isle of Man
No Austin GP
Why can’t you ride? Get out of your house and go!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gonna go take that ride this weekend. Seems like the shelter in place thing, while they say is enforceable, is more of a suggestion. Cases locally are climbing fast, but plenty of people moving about. Pretty sure the roads will be less crowded this weekend for a ride.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
Gonna go take that ride this weekend. Seems like the shelter in place thing, while they say is enforceable, is more of a suggestion. Cases locally are climbing fast, but plenty of people moving about. Pretty sure the roads will be less crowded this weekend for a ride.
Enjoy your ride! :D:D:D:D

Yes, you are right that the shelter in place / self isolation / social distancing are currently just advisory. But if you ignore them and come to close to someone so you infect them, you could kill someone like my wife who has a severely compromised immune system after two battles with cancer.

The death rate in northern Italy from Covid-19 is about 17.5% for those over 70.

You are free to ride.

With freedom comes responsibility.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts