BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
My 29 year old daughter is a nurse at Children's Hospital in DC and is home with all the symptoms. She just got tested yesterday and we'll find out in a day or two. Hospital staff, more than anyone right now, is out there on the front lines of this and could be hardest hit by the bug because of that. I hope when this thing peaks that we have enough medical personal able to respond.
^^^^
That last part is what keeps me up at night. The concern is very real.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
^^^^I hope when this thing peaks that we have enough medical personal able to respond.
That last part is what keeps me up at night. The concern is very real.
England has put out a call to medical profession retirees and that may need to be done here by the time May rolls around. Available hospital beds has been talked about in the news but they haven't touched much on the number of medical personnel that may be taken out for a couple weeks. San Miguel county in Colorado is going to try and test every county resident for COVAID-19. They have already had their first case and by testing the entire county, they may get some data on the number who test positive yet have very few or no symptoms. More thought has been given to these asymptomatic transmissions contributing to a greater proportion of the spread of the virus. San Miguel has about 8000 residents. United Biomedical is conducting the tests in conjuction with the county clinics.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Here are the figures courtesy of JHU .............. Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS

I would like to see some serious stats from Italy, now they have taken the lead - does anyone know more about the hotspots, demographics etc. ? We all need to learn the facts........fast. Unfortunately our media can only be trusted to sensationalise the situation.
That is 15 countries behind this one > Experience, but has bigger numbers, so again we can't be sure what has the most accurate values. Nice to see it has recovery rates though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well as a Paramedic working the front line of this Pandemic and married to an ICU nurse, I for one am scared. I have been in the field for 34 years and we have not seen anything spread so fast with such a high mortality rate. That would make me stay indoors. The gas stations are staying open for essential needs only. Lets be thankful for the freedoms we have today because if this does not get contained with the help of everyone the alternative would be for the governments to step in and impose martial law on both US and Canadian soil.
Lets play safe everyone and work together. That is the only way we are going to beat this beast. If you are bored and want to take up a cause, go and check or call your elderly neighbors who are having trouble getting out to get groceries.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Well as a Paramedic working the front line of this Pandemic and married to an ICU nurse, I for one am scared. I have been in the field for 34 years and we have not seen anything spread so fast with such a high mortality rate. That would make me stay indoors. The gas stations are staying open for essential needs only. Lets be thankful for the freedoms we have today because if this does not get contained with the help of everyone the alternative would be for the governments to step in and impose martial law on both US and Canadian soil.
Lets play safe everyone and work together. That is the only way we are going to beat this beast. If you are bored and want to take up a cause, go and check or call your elderly neighbors who are having trouble getting out to get groceries.
Keep strong brother and thanks.

My hunch is martial law is coming in about 1 week.
I have been following the US infection rates since March 18.
It has gone from 9,269 cases on March 18 to 35,746 as I just checked. Certainly better testing is part of it of higher numbers but it is still a fact the numbers are trending sharply up.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well as a Paramedic working the front line of this Pandemic and married to an ICU nurse, I for one am scared. ...
My hat is off to you. As a former paramedic, I know it's a dangerous job even in normal times. Takes real courage for you and your wife to hang in there. Be safe.

·
Registered
218 Posts
And now the "Orange" one says this whole "distancing" is overblown. Wants to return to "normalcy" ASAP, to spur the Economy. I know we all have opinions...but this is lunacy. We should remain vigilant and also remain calm. Ok..let the arrows fly

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
And now the "Orange" one says this whole "distancing" is overblown. Wants to return to "normalcy" ASAP, to spur the Economy. I know we all have opinions...but this is lunacy. We should remain vigilant and also remain calm. Ok..let the arrows fly
Well, you sort of ask for arrows when you refer to our President as "the Orange one".

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I decided to slice/dice the WHO/John Hopkins data myself to have a look at economic impact. We think of the EU member states as individuals and they are reporting as such but if you flip it over and think of it as a tightly coupled economy the totals are interesting (as in oh crap)

Total cases by time series, countries grouped by high level economic association. Africa, South Asia, Russia, and South America are probably under-reported.

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
I wonder how many highway deaths we're saving with the shutdown. Yet we drive.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Here is a good website with statistics. Coronavirus Update (Live): 396,035 Cases and 17,247 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

The number of deaths in Italy and Spain is both troubling and curious - what is it that is causing such a high death rate in those 2 countries: Demographics, healthcare, tourism, etc.?

Most states in the USA are also posting stats on a county by county basis - Georgia updates daily on the public health website. The most populated counties around the metro ATL area the worst hit so far. I happen to live right dab in the middle of the most heavily populated counties.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
It took Italy 11 days to go from 9,000 cases to 47,000 cases
It has taken the US 6 days to do the same.
I have been following this site since March 18. On March 18 the US had 9,259 cases and this morning there are 48,720 cases.
New York is being hammered. NY is slightly more than half the US total.

On March 18 Canada had 706 cases. This morning there are 2,091 cases.

World wide there were 218,822 cases on March 18. Now there are 398,976.

Italy's curve is flattening. Canada's curve seems to be slowing. NY is wild causing the US to continue on an upward trajectory. The world, on whole, is flattening.

I like math and stats :)

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
It took Italy 11 days to go from 9,000 cases to 47,000 cases
It has taken the US 6 days to do the same.
I have been following this site since March 18. On March 18 the US had 9,259 cases and this morning there are 48,720 cases.
New York is being hammered. NY is slightly more than half the US total.

On March 18 Canada had 706 cases. This morning there are 2,091 cases.

World wide there were 218,822 cases on March 18. Now there are 398,976.

Italy's curve is flattening. Canada's curve seems to be slowing. NY is wild causing the US to continue on an upward trajectory. The world, on whole, is flattening.

I like math and stats :)
Here is the per-capita curve to normalize the axis stretch created by the larger (nearly 10x) US population. Comparing per capita, Canada to US curves. The US curve is still nothing compared to EU.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
Thanks Brick.
New York puzzles me. NY has a population of 19 million and has 26,000 confirmed cases.
What caused this degree of infection to go so "viral"?

41 - 60 of 125 Posts