BMW K1600 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I've been either in the military (retired) or embedded in a military unit for the last 35 years. I have participated in endless military exercises but a few months ago the unit I work for, along with the entire base had an exercise seeing how prepared they'd be if the electrical grid got infiltrated. The idea was that China has the ability to incapacitate the electrical and communications grid of our entire country, how could the base survive if that happened. Well, the results were less than acceptable.
So, with this pandemic that came from China, I'm suggesting that it's a test and we are figuring out how to survive without very much preparation. How do you think we're doing overall? What if the pandemic happened along with a grid attack?
We're a vulnerable country/world. Please take lessons learned so far and prepare yourselves for a future attack of similar strength but keep in mind that this time was much easier than the next.
Ps. NYC is bringing in refrigerated trailers to keep the bodies in, they had over 100 dead just last night.
One thing the country needs to learn how to do again is become its own supply chain.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
I don't disagree, but if we allow politics and bureaucracy to get in our way then we deserve what we get. All of the examples you have highlighted are correct and sad.
This has happened before and we forget our history.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I think as a society we need to focus on and develop a culture of adaptation to our circumstances in order to survive, more so than we’ve ever done in the past. To often our institutions and the public have a tendency to cycle between panic during a crisis and neglect afterwards. Hopefully leadership of whatever stripe will emerge in the future that will steer us from perpetuating such cycles and the dire consequences associated with them.

My paternal grandfather was an Army combat engineer in France during WW1. He survived the battlefield horrors of that war, only to contract the 1918 pandemic flu that swept through the ranks of friend and foe at the time. While the war was brutal, the 1918 flu that killed millions was indescribably merciless. And yet he managed to adapt and survive, with his will to live sustained by his farmer work ethic, his buddies and the God of his faith. Hardy stock for sure...he died in 1998 with a frail body but clear mind at 104 years old, when I was 42. The war, the 1918 flu and the subsequent Great Depression defined the rest of his life, and he constantly implored his children and grandchildren to take heed and never forget.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
UK counts will go up dramatically, as we start to test more people as a what if, rather than we know are unwell

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
We have been on lockdown here in Colorado for a few days, “voluntary” for over a week now. Our governor says to take walks, ride your bike, go to the local state parks, (which they closed and I dont know if the stupid SOB remembered that even though he probably directed it) enjoy your local outdoors but dont travel to distant locations. You can go to the store, travel to work if you are essiential etc.. grocery stores, liquor stores and pot shops remain open, some construction work is still called essential, people still working on new homes etc..

Then last night I read local reports of LEO‘s (CSP and Sheriff) pulling people over and or approaching them on walks etc.. and asking citizens what they are doing and or asking for credentials as to why they are out and about.. This is after the Sheriff came out on their own FB page yesterday and specifically stated they were not going to be doing such things. This gets those little hairs on the back of my neck to standing up.

State and county officials all over this country are laying down their own rules with no parameters in place and no transparency as to why they are doing so in some instance. Its a free for all house arrest over every citizen in the country. I see a rapidly progressing police state with zero checks and balances in place to safe guard citizens rights, thats what I find concerning.

Some of you might find that view point ridiculous, even repulsive and thats fine, Im ok with that. I get the whole ”do it for good of mankind” thing but someone out there needs to be watching the other side. So while the rest of you are worried about how many people this is going to kill, I may jump in my truck and take a drive today to see how many of my freedoms are still in place. After all his royal highness the good governor said I can take a drive to get out of the house if I feel the need, just keep your distance from others.

Before you hammer me on being concerned about those who are on the front lines here.. know that my wife and son both work in a grocery store and are on the front line. They take daily abuse from people because the store has next to nothing on the shelves or limits certain items due to the mass panic this situation has caused. I am about to volunteer my time and be Civil Obedience Officer at the store and remind people to mind their fucking manners while they are in there.

This lock down is going to last for months wether you all realize it or not and my patience is thin already.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Darbinco said...."Before you hammer me on being concerned about those who are on the front lines here.. know that my wife and son both work in a grocery store and are on the front line. They take daily abuse from people because the store has next to nothing on the shelves or limits certain items due to the mass panic this situation ........"

I understand your comment about your wife and son taking abuse from people because the store has next to nothing or is limiting the number of people in the store due to Social Distancing, which is the right thing to do. I am a manager at a big box store so I get what they are going through, I am usually the one intervening in this situation and getting called a F*&% ahole. People are very anxious, in a panic and many just plain scared. As for the term front lines , well my wife is an RN at one of our local hospitals and I have to add when I see people coming into the store with a mask on it makes my blood boil, especially when I see what they are purchasing, nothing even remotely neccassary. My wife is on the front lines and she has to worry about whether she will have enough PPE to protect herself so she can take care of the people who are sick and hope she does not get sick herself so she can be there to continue to help people.

So while you are watching the other side, your right to do so, at least pause for a moment to consider the ones who are trying to protect and take care of everyone, if and when you, your wife or son get sick from any virus, disease, heart attack, cancer, etc.

I believe you are correct, this lock down is going to last for months, so please have patience, be safe and take care of yourself, your family and others.

Randy
2018 K1600GTL

·
Super Moderator
2,336 Posts
To help show how serious this virus is consider that on March 18 the US had 9,197 cases and right now there are 120,529.

I understand more testing has resulted in more confirmed cases. I get that but that misses the point this thing is going off like a rocket ship.

At this rate the US will have 1,500,000 cases in a week and a half. If this thing accelerates even more.

I am not picking on the US only using it because that is the main user base on this forum. The same thing is happening in many other countries including Canada.

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
. As for the term front lines , well my wife is an RN at one of our local hospitals and I have to add when I see people coming into the store with a mask on it makes my blood boil, especially when I see what they are purchasing, nothing even remotely neccassary. My wife is on the front lines and she has to worry about whether she will have enough PPE to protect herself so she can take care of the people who are sick and hope she does not get sick herself so she can be there to continue to help people.
Randy.
A big thank you goes out to you and your wife at this time for all your efforts.

As far as I am concerned anyone working working right now who is in direct contact with the public are the front lines. Nurses, doctors, first responders including fire, rescue as well as people like you, my family and all other who are out there working with the public. Your wife is working to provide care for the sick. You are working to provide products for people to simply exist and try and make it through these times. Everyone out there is giving 100% of themselves right now. If your not risking your health to heal people, your risking it to provide for them.

I totally agree with you on the shopping thing.. My wife tells me daily about the “regular“ customers who come in to buy a whole lot of nothing every few days. She is constantly amazed by the things people come to the store and buy.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Totally unscientific observation on my part but here in metro ATL, road traffic has increased substantially the past few days compared to what it was last weekend.

This while the number of cases is reported to be increasing.

People will only stay home for so long before they will venture out again especially if they do not know of anyone infected or don't know anyone who knows anyone that is infected.

Sort of like that old saying about the economy is in a recession when it is your neighbor that lost his job but a depression when you have lost your job.....

·
Super Moderator
2,336 Posts
Watching this is like watching a train wreck. 120,000 2 days ago.

200,000 tomorrow night?

Something really fishy is going on in China. Their numbers are barely budging. I don't believe it.

·
Registered
809 Posts
South Korea and the US both had their first confirmed case on the same day. South Korea is pretty much under control now with a hundred or so new cases a day. The US is still totally out of control. The difference was in how the governments responded with early testing, isolation and contact tracing. It could have been so different here in the US.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
South Korea and the US both had their first confirmed case on the same day. South Korea is pretty much under control now with a hundred or so new cases a day. The US is still totally out of control. The difference was in how the governments responded with early testing, isolation and contact tracing. It could have been so different here in the US.
Keep drinking that kool-aid.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My suggestion would be to concentrate not on the politics or finger pointing, but how best to get through this period of COVID-19 infections.

One of the lessons that seems to be coming out globally is that once infection levels reach a critical level within a population, it is extremely difficult (perhaps impossible?) to take actions that reduce the level of infection below that which overwhelms any healthcare system. Once the healthcare system is overwhelmed, everyone's a passenger in free-fall. So...

In the absence of any vaccine or other mitigation the only viable strategy seems to be to minimise opportunities for transmission through social distancing / isolation. However, the negatives to that are two-fold: 1) There is no "exit strategy" (because those who haven't been infected remain at risk of infection as soon as the distancing / isolation end); 2) It results in economic shutdown with the attendant hardships that creates. So the "optimum" route through this is a narrow line between the two ills of mass mortality and economic catastrophe. My guess is that whatever the route chosen, there will be a bit of both and which side of the line is considered more acceptable will depend upon the attitude of individuals and societies / regions / countries as a whole.

Looking from the outside, it seems that some US states (NY is the obvious example) are at, or very close to, the position of having to watch their healthcare system be totally overwhelmed. In some respects all we're going to be able to do if that's the case is watch on in horror as the bodies pile up (like in Northern Italy and some regions of Spain). Other US states are in the fortunate position of having low infection numbers at this time. The challenge for them is to avoid complacency so that they keep it that way.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
My suggestion would be to concentrate not on the politics or finger pointing, but how best to get through this period of COVID-19 infections.

One of the lessons that seems to be coming out globally is that once infection levels reach a critical level within a population, it is extremely difficult (perhaps impossible?) to take actions that reduce the level of infection below that which overwhelms any healthcare system. Once the healthcare system is overwhelmed, everyone's a passenger in free-fall. So...

In the absence of any vaccine or other mitigation the only viable strategy seems to be to minimise opportunities for transmission through social distancing / isolation. However, the negatives to that are two-fold: 1) There is no "exit strategy" (because those who haven't been infected remain at risk of infection as soon as the distancing / isolation end); 2) It results in economic shutdown with the attendant hardships that creates. So the "optimum" route through this is a narrow line between the two ills of mass mortality and economic catastrophe. My guess is that whatever the route chosen, there will be a bit of both and which side of the line is considered more acceptable will depend upon the attitude of individuals and societies / regions / countries as a whole.

Looking from the outside, it seems that some US states (NY is the obvious example) are at, or very close to, the position of having to watch their healthcare system be totally overwhelmed. In some respects all we're going to be able to do if that's the case is watch on in horror as the bodies pile up (like in Northern Italy and some regions of Spain). Other US states are in the fortunate position of having low infection numbers at this time. The challenge for them is to avoid complacency so that they keep it that way.
Well said..

·
Premium Member
5,209 Posts
We know this started back in November in China. We also know theres 10’s of thousands of Chinese, US and frankly tourists from all over the globe that travel between the US and China on a monthly basis. Beyond what the television wants us all to believe, I think this virus has been here long before the first of March. To think that this virus swept across the globe and left the United States for last is nothing but blind foolishness.

Its absolute fecking lunacy to believe this could have been stopped earlier. Especially in a time where every move by a certain president is under the microscope and the screams of racism and xenophobia echo through the TV when he talks about closing a border and stopping travel from a country due to security threats.. be it terrorists, child trafficers or even an enemy so small it cant be seen. If one wants to sling presidential mud I would be happy to discuss the last administrations ZERO response to H1N1 that infected 80 million and killed almost 15k Americans. Not a single news agency questioned his response.

That aside, to think all of our problems today directly lay at the feet of a single elected person (no matter who it is) is nothing short of partisan bullshit. If one were to really believe what they see on tv, you would think its the Presidents direct job to hand sew N95 masks and in his spare time manufacture/assemble ventilators and make sure every hospital in the country has what they need months, even years before something like this happens... if it happens. (BTW... thankfully they found those masks and ventilators he made sitting in a NY warehouse) That all mind you is on top of everything else he is personally responsible for including but not limited to pushing the button to make the sun comes up in the morning.. ffs people its ridiculous.

Side note here.. when do we lay some of the responsibility back onto the hospitals and local/state governments for not being prepared for something like this? Are they not the ones who know best on what they have on hand and need? Oh thats right.. thats not politically expedient because theres not one single person to blame and we all know who that one person has to be.

On top of that we have a media in this country stirring panic, hate and discontent. They take footage from an Italian hospital and try passing it off as one in NY or “The Slaughter in Syria” news story that was actually footage from a gun range in Kentucky. To think some actually believe everything they see on tv is.... well... downright terrifying.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
In the UK the drive for many years has been to make health care leaner, i.e. do more for less, every year. Each Regional / local makes for less investment in front line, expending money into hiving off the expensive to smaller bodies. It was cheaper at one stage to send people out of the country to treat them, or close hospital wards to reduce bed numbers, which mean you don't have to employ as many staff ergo saving money. So the capacity is basically there but can't be safely staffed, and you can never just switch it on. I do hope that the NHS grows and is funded to remain bigger. By all means remove the three intermediate managers and their PA's etc to make it more patient focused and not for the accountants to shift money

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
To think some actually believe everything they see on tv is.... well... downright terrifying.
I think I've had an epiphany about why civilizations advance until they ultimately fail. When things get so comfortable and easy that the even the really stupid can thrive, then they multiply rapidly, get themselves into positions of authority, and then run the entire thing into the ground.

"The government you elect is the government you deserve." - Thomas Jefferson

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
its only taken 200 years to learn how to make plastics and infect the world at every location with them. This place is only 4.5 billion years old !!

81 - 100 of 141 Posts