BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading Bike and Ride leads me to believe that corrosion is an issue all y'all have to deal with in the UK.

Get a rock chip on the paint here in Dallas and it can go years before any corrosion might affect the exposed surface. So, a non-issue.

So, when I read in the UK magazines about motorcycle parts corroding, it makes me wonder how you guys deal with it. From comments I read, even BMWs suffer from corrosion.

It must drive you nuts trying to keep metal surfaces protected. :(

·
Registered
541 Posts
The problem in the UK is the quality of the rock salt they use is cheap and nasty stuff compared to the rest of the World, despite probably paying some of the highest taxes to use the roads.
The stuff is highly corrosive, I've read that BMW etc could improve their paint quality to protect against the corrosion, but as the problem mainly lies in the UK they decide it's more economical to use the cheaper paint finishes and just take the UK warranty claims for corrosion on the chin, as the rest of the World isn't as affected.
The salt makes a real mess of your brake blocks, with a white fury growth appearing literally overnight if the salt is not washed off properly.
It's very hard during the Winter months to just go for a quick spin in the UK as you are obliged to spend a good 30-40 minutes scrubbing the bike down and spraying corrosion inhibiter into all the gaps after EVERY ride. Failure to do so just destroys your pride and joy.
The only thing to do is wait till the temperatures rise and there's several days of rain to wash the salt residue off the roads.
You are right RL it drives us mad.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My dealer told me that 95% of worldwide corrosion claims relating to BMW's are made in the UK. I have made a few claims over the years and BMW have stepped up to the plate every time, unlike Triumph who blamed me for paint flaking off because I didn't follow the instructions in the owners handbook on how to clean the piece of junk. Nothing to do with their poor quality control of course.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While you guys have tried every corrosion protector possible, I wonder if anyone has tried this stuff?

CorrosionX

No good on the brakes though. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
While you guys have tried every corrosion protector possible, I wonder if anyone has tried this stuff?

CorrosionX

No good on the brakes though. ;)
We use this product in he aviation industry pretty regularly. It's meant to get in between lap joints and into seams by capillary action. But it doesn't work well on exposed surfaces as it washes off pretty easily.

·
Registered
290 Posts
ACF50 is popular

You can take your bike to various places who will give it a pre-winter coating which is left on until spring.

At the very least a hose down at the end of the day is required.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Reading Bike and Ride leads me to believe that corrosion is an issue all y'all have to deal with in the UK.

Get a rock chip on the paint here in Dallas and it can go years before any corrosion might affect the exposed surface. So, a non-issue.

So, when I read in the UK magazines about motorcycle parts corroding, it makes me wonder how you guys deal with it. From comments I read, even BMWs suffer from corrosion.

It must drive you nuts trying to keep metal surfaces protected. :(
Thanks for your thoughts about this salt problem. I own a 1990 Mazda Miata, which came from USA to Europe in 2006. Never driven on salt roads. No rust anywhere. Here in Norway, vehicles don't stand a chance against salt without extra protection and care. But motorbikes don't suffer because they never enter the roads before salt season is long gone. In UK, many owners use their bikes during salt season because the climate allows for it. BMW cars are the far superior make when comes to rust protection.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As mentioned above its the fixings (bolts etc) that suffer most. At one point BMW fixed it by applying a coating (cadmium I think) but environmentalists stopped it due to toxicity... and we are back to white fur growing on any unpainted metal.

What makes things worse is hot water with salt accelerates the corrosion so you ought to use cold water and a sponge. Not nice when its already cold outside.

·
Administrator
17,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would be one thing on a dirt bike, where all is exposed, but a bike with a fairing has a lot of hidden hardware.

It would be painful to open a bike up and see corroded bolts or metal.

Way back in time, when I went to school in London, it seemed that there were a big percentage of very old cars on the road. How do they still exist in such a corrosive environment?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It would be one thing on a dirt bike, where all is exposed, but a bike with a fairing has a lot of hidden hardware.

Way back in time, when I went to school in London, it seemed that there were a big percentage of very old cars on the road. How do they still exist in such a corrosive environment?

Many old clunkers were taken off the road when the recession first bit due to the UK government paying an allowance for a new car in exchange for the disposal / crushing of old clunkers. Due to the weird world that is the European Union they had to pay tge grant for all European manufactured cars, so BMW and the like were very grateful...

·
Registered
500 Posts

Mainly due to advances by the manufacturers in rust proofing their cars when manufactured. I can remember the ritual that my dad used to go through with the Ford Anglia estate that he bought in 1968 when it was already 4 years old. He kept it for 4 years and was forever filling in holes in the body work in the later years that he owned the car because of the dreaded rust. Fast forward to 2001/2 when I owned a 1993 Nissan Primera and there was not a spot of rust on it.

A company called Ziebart used to do a roaring trade in rustproofing cars after manufacture in the 70's but I suspect they ceased trading as the manufacturers improved their own processes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought a 12 month old ex demo K1600 SE from a UK dealership which had been used over the previous winter. Unfortunately corrosion was bubbling through the engine paint between the cam cover and head and other mating areas on the engine. The duolever lower part of the legs in the region of where machining had been done after painting for disc caliper bolts etc. bore traces of corrosion worming its way under the paint and looked a mess. Everywhere else seemed OK.
BMW customer service were fine over it and offered to renew all the engine casings and sort out the legs. Didn't particularly want the engine stripping and swapping all the internals to new cases so part exchanged it back and went for a new 1600GT SE . Keeping away from salt roads and liberal amounts of Acf-50 around those parts. Lost £1000 or so with the deal but a happy bunny now.

I was told that the new batch of engines from December 2012 were to have a new paint system applied which would sort out those problems.

Pete

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a 12 month old ex demo K1600 SE from a UK dealership which had been used over the previous winter. Unfortunately corrosion was bubbling through the engine paint between the cam cover and head and other mating areas on the engine. The duolever lower part of the legs in the region of where machining had been done after painting for disc caliper bolts etc. bore traces of corrosion worming its way under the paint and looked a mess. Everywhere else seemed OK.
BMW customer service were fine over it and offered to renew all the engine casings and sort out the legs. Didn't particularly want the engine stripping and swapping all the internals to new cases so part exchanged it back and went for a new 1600GT SE . Keeping away from salt roads and liberal amounts of Acf-50 around those parts. Lost £1000 or so with the deal but a happy bunny now.

I was told that the new batch of engines from December 2012 were to have a new paint system applied which would sort out those problems.

Pete
Pete

Thats exactly what I've got on my 2 yr old 1600GT. I haven't spoken to my dealer about it yet but did yours offer to fix the corrosion?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kestrel_S

I certainly had a good response from BMW. Customer services who then contacted the dealers. Although the dealer took some photos I too e-mailed Customer services who sent them to Germany and after 10 days or so agreed to fix the corrosion under warranty by renewing the affected engine casings.
I personally didn't like the thought of the engine being stripped and rebuilt in that manner so bought a new 2012 model losing quite a bit of money in the process.
But yes in short BMW seem to cover this under the warranty.

Pete

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a PUMA case for this engine corrosion issue going on at the moment, Dealer is still waiting for response from BMW but i did let them know that i had spoken to a guy who had his engine replaced by them for this very issue and i was getting concerned that the bike i have had for all of 7 months is in need of such drastic action whereas my 5 yr old ZZR1400 never displayed any issues at all.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mine had a new short engine fitted under warranty and when out of warranty the pinch bolt on the front wheel broke due to corrosion when a tyre change was needed and then found the axle would not come out. Although out of warranty BMW supplied a complete new front end free of charge as a "good will gesture" if I paid the relatively small labour cost for fitting.

I gave had four BMWs and they have all had corrosion problems to some degree but I like the bikes and BMW support (in UK at least) seems good.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice to know AndyC , i am hoping for the same atleast though i would prefer the whole new engine that others have had rather than just a change of externals over old internals.
Funnily enough the guy i spoke to from South Gloustershire safety partnership who had a new engine under warranty for this corrosion problem had it in exactly the same place as i have it and his new engine is starting to do the same.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had the center stand, swingarm support and pinch bolt replaced on a 2011 for "defect paint" problem (corrosion).
BMW doesn't like the word corrosion :rolleyes:
All done on the extended warranty.
BMW dealer was very good sorting this out.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts