BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to be a topic that is not being covered here. Without getting into who started it, or jokes, or how to mitigate being effected or even who has it or not. I'm thinking about how the pandemic is going to effect our riding. For instance, is the Tail of the Dragon still on, how about the MOA Rally? Supply chains for essentials like gas and oil? How about parts? Here in the US and in many other countries the governments have started to restrict people's ability to do things like gather in large crowds. Has this affected your life yet? Here in NYC there's been a dramatic decrease in the number of people on the roads and using mass transit. Broadway shows and TV stations have been shut down or otherwise temporarily closed are being disinfected. Lincoln Center has been closed (NY Philharmonic, NY Ballet, NY Opera) Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon and other live shows are now either playing to empty theaters or running repeats. One way or the other, this is going to have some affect us. For me, riding has been great! Less traffic, reduced fuel costs... I'm thinking of riding to Florida to visit my elderly mother (96 y/o) but avoiding taking a plane seems to be wise. However SouthWest Airlines has a fare from Newark International Airport to the nearest where my mother is for $49.00 each way. That's pretty good motivation since the fight is 2.5 hrs and a ride or drive will be 2 days.
So is Tail of the Dragon still on?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Here in NYC there's been a dramatic decrease in the number of people on the roads and using mass transit. .... For me, riding has been great! Less traffic, reduced fuel costs...
Yes, dramatically less traffic on the roads here in the Atlanta area this past week. Good time for riding though due to less congestion (no pun intended). I was actually able to leave my home at 5PM and not have any traffic to deal with on the major artery that runs near my home. A lot fewer airplanes too.

Schools are out, people are working from home. Grocery stores are running out of things (TP, bottled water, bread, milk, eggs, meats, frozen foods, etc.). I ordered a pressure washer from Home Depot that I still have not received but not concerned or bothered - small price to pay. I suspect the transmission recall parts shipments from BMW will also get delayed at some point. Again, not complaining or bothered - just pointing out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just received my email copy of the MOA Newsletter. They do state that, as of now, the MOA is NOT cancelled. Although they did leave some wiggle room in their statement to indicate that they continue to monitor the situation and will act accordingly.

·
Premium Member
5,082 Posts
My wife and son both work at a grocery store... its insanity right now, plain and simple. The run on TP is strange, people thinking about wiping their azzes before they thought about what they are going to eat? Its simply amazing to me. Water too, like the kitchen faucet is going to quit working?

I have a freezer full food and instead of adding to the madness at the store we are going to start eating it. If for nothing else than to clean out some of the stuff thats been in there a while. If this gets worse, I have a contingency for that as well.

Nobody is making fun of preppers right now thats for sure.

Besides the health of my friends and loved ones my single biggest concern right now is.. I dont know if I have enough bacon on hand to hold out a month if I need to..

·
Registered
263 Posts
I work in collegiate athletics, and in addition to March Madness being cancelled (giving me previously un-thought of free time. At this time of year, we, along with virtually every other college campus, have cancelled the entirety of our Spring schedules. As well as any large events we were to host, including May commencement and two high school graduations. Fortunately, I still have a job. And a lot more free time (aka weekends) for riding and wrenching, both on my K1600, my sons VFR800 and the winged sprint car that I a man involved with. Definitely strange and unusual times for never and everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Three of us are booked to go to France on Brittany Ferries from Plymouth in May,now it has just been announced on the news that all over 70s will be advised to self isolate.
France has said most shops/Cafe's/bars will close. I do think that the whole thing although serious is over hyped tho
We have booked hotels via the booking.com website so re arranging shouldn't be a problem,and Brittany Ferries have informed us that we can change to a later date for little or no fee.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My wife and I are supposed to be in Lanzarote, Canary Islands tonight - Cancelled yesterday
My Company is supposed to be at a major Food Exhibition at the end of this month - Cancelled
My annual bike trip to Scotland in 5 weeks is just about to be - Cancelled
My annual bike trip to Europe in June will be - Cancelled
The world is gonna have to go into hibernation for 6 months to get over this

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not going sure if this is over-hyped or being underplayed. But as many of us know history has a tendency of repeating itself unless we learn from lessons of the past. This is an interesting story of what happened in Philadelphia during the Spanish Flu. I'll make the reasonable guess that none of us were alive and cognitive during that pandemic. Philadelphia didn't cancel a parade during a 1918 pandemic. The results were devastating I urge everyone to spend a few minutes to read the article. Something to keep in mind is that for those of you living in rural life, you may not have as many opportunities to be exposed as those who live in an suburban or urban lifestyle. However you, your children or grand children may be attending a school or place of worship or even a Costco in which the chances of exposure increase dramatically. It is a strange world... In the meanwhile I'm going for a ride. Not much chance for exposure that way.

·
Premium Member
6,414 Posts
As of now we our travel schedule includes 6 days TTD, 7 days Cancun, 25 days Great Falls/Colorado. All subject to change/modification. :)

Duane

·
Registered
343 Posts
The UK is beginning to restrict activities, the toilet roll crisis is in full swing .......yet, it’s the human over reaction that multiplies the panic, emptying stores of provisions etc.

Strong leadership leads to panic as the public witness strong action being taken (so they panic) or weak leadership leads to calls for action, rumour, panic, those seeing panic then following the herd?

Oddly, those Dictatorships (That Wee Korean Fellow) probably do better perhaps because they rule the population with a rod of iron ......and the population will do what they are told.

I struggle to get to grips with the lack of strong/consistent/regular communication, in order to create a real thread of reassurance. Newspapers/Journalists should be warned to drop the sensationalist headlines/use of words/fear. “residents left an area .....or residents fled? an area ......after flood warnings” was a recent weather scare here ......”left or FLED!” .......one word, 2 effects!

Anyway, it’s all real ......it’s a flu type virus that we don’t have immunity to 1st-time around so it’s going to do it’s thing. We can all do our bit. The population of the world needs “Common Sense & Don’t Panic” tattooed on their inner eyelids and every Government needs to communicate/form a clear strategy .......we have gatherings of no more than 1000, 500, 100 ......and 5 people (in Austria) being circulated/headlined?! WTF message does that send out? .....is it 5 or 500 or a 1000???!! Confidence or panic in our Governments ......if we bleed in any country of the world there is a fairly consistent reaction to that problem, and so, strong communication/consistent message/action must help, even although I appreciate each country is at a different part of the cycle.

If we need ventilators then get companies working on them now, the human race will step up however it still needs strong/clear/honest leadership. The PROBLEM IS NOT TOILET ROLLS!

Safe/good health to all, don’t empty the shops, check your neighbours, wash your hands, spread the common sense. Let’s pull together and call out the over reaction - how many asses do the Toilet Roll buyers have?!

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
We don't know what the next few weeks will reveal. We have a Jamaican Sandals vacay planned for May...the reason we can't do TTD end of April. If we don't do Jamaica I would love to take someone's canceled TTD reservation. Just don't know yet. I would need tires before that...assume they'll be readily available at that time. Don't know when trans recall work will happen but that won't stop me...just topical. Local kids are almost on all spring break right now. A good time for school admins to breathe and decide how things will be perceived. Our guess...it's gonna be a month or more before kids go back. They will utilize virtual classrooms as most have school supplied tablets, etc. and for those without internet they will have paper stations in the parking lots and staggered pickup/drop-off times. Biggest concern for kiddos is all the kids who rely on school lunch. Oops...got off bike and enthusiast focus...apologies. I'm told I should behave like I'm infected and don't want to spread it to anyone and if we all do that we should do well. I'm somewhere between get busy livin or get busy dyin and being a paranoid semi shut-in. I'll continue to go to work and live as normally as society allows. IF things go sideways and "official" gatherings get canceled, even though I have no current plans to attend either, I'd enjoy "unofficial" informal gathering(s) with folks who wanna continue to be busy livin.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My wife and I are supposed to be in Lanzarote, Canary Islands tonight - Cancelled yesterday
My Company is supposed to be at a major Food Exhibition at the end of this month - Cancelled
My annual bike trip to Scotland in 5 weeks is just about to be - Cancelled
My annual bike trip to Europe in June will be - Cancelled
The world is gonna have to go into hibernation for 6 months to get over this
I always knew somebody somewhere would be far worse off than me,mine is not a problem now.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Flew three days this week. Airline loads seem to be off by about a third. Restaurants seem to be suffering the same loss. Went to the grocery store and the gas station this morning. Meats were somewhat depleted. No toilet paper. Fortunately, we're well-stocked in both departments. Apparently few plan for emergencies.
One brighter note. This is ethanol-free gas from our favorite supplier. We were the only customers. Strange times.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
We have several AirBnb's. We just got our first cancellation today. We had been at 95% occupancy.

We are being hit in the wallet. Interest rates have gone down 1% in the last week which helps offset the income loss. Fuel costs are done a lot.Stock markets have been hit. It has been a mild winter so heating costs are lower.

People are panicking. I haven't had time to grocery shop yet and I am not looking forward to that.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
We went to a family restaurant today and I gave the server an extra large tip - business has been way off for them and the employees (who work off tips) are losing a lot of income.

The Chick-Fil-A stores (a large fast food chain for those of you who haven't visited the states) near me have closed their dining rooms and are operating drive thru only.

Interestingly, I haven't seen a lot of hand sanitizers in any stores or restaurants - yet. I have always thought this was a good idea anyway.

I won't be visiting any buffets or salad bars anytime soon.(n)

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
To think this all started with one guy and his chinchilla ( I jest, whatever it was).

What if I told you that the casualty radius from a hand grenade was 15 meters (pls don't correct me, I am making a point) and you had a 6% chance of being critically injured at that distance, how about 2%, or 1%.. at what point would you be willing to stand there and let it go off..

The issue is not whether you or I get it and survive or not, its when (not if) one of us becomes infected passes it on to someone who won't fare so well once infected. The mortality rate in the 60+ category is 6%, results in those 70 and over is closer to 8-10%. Its not just about you specifically but also about who you pass it on to. The press going on about mortality rates of 1% or 2% is creating the wrong understanding. If you are 60+ OR have an underlying condition and 50+ you are not in a good place, the real CFR is closer to 6-8% for most of the people on this forum.

Please people, take care of yourselves and take care for those around you.

·
Registered
754 Posts
There's a local guy here who's been caught out with the travel restrictions imposed yesterday. Everyone entering Australia must self isolate for 14 days. He returned from holiday yesterday and was due to pick up his GT today.... Now there's a test of patience.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
I woke up a prepper this weekend.

We came to the stark realization that we live a pretty much "just in time" lifestyle. We order dinner, it arrives just in time and we eat it. Ha. It's just the two of us. I have no large stores of anything but toothpaste and motor oil. So we became part of the supply chain problem this week, spending about $2k on supplies because we had pretty much none. Now we have two full fridges/freezers and lots of canned and packaged goods.

Can I order an underground bunker online? They're probably on backorder.

And I have no idea why we needed this while we have about this much at home and again on order.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts