BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I retired I was a First Responder in New York City, yes through the WTC attacks, rescue and recover. I'm getting reports from former co-workers that they have been testing gas pumps, and have found a very high rate of active transmittable COVID-19 virus on the pumps, keypad, and dispensing handles. Just an FYI, I've been riding to get out and help pass time. I figured alone in a helmet would be hard to transmit, or catch. I've been keeping my gloves on, and helmet visor down gassing up, just something to consider folks, stay safe.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I assume they are gross. I carry hand sanitizer and use it ridiculously liberally.

·
Registered
698 Posts
like so many we all need to think of what we do and how we go about everyday life. Hygiene is up there with everything you touch Handel and pass by. I carry and use surgical disposable gloves and disinfectant wipes in the top case of the bike along with in my glove box of my car. I also make sure after fueling I wipe the handlebar grips and steering wheel also the door handles of the car. Would have I done that 3 mths ago? .Um maybe not as much but shopping centres with trolleys I wipe them before touching them especially when you see what people do with them and put inside them other than groceries.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks Northsquad, good information. It is my understanding as well that the virus can remain on soft materials, like leather riding gloves, for a few hours after contact. Something to keep in mind if refuelling with your gloves on. I figured I would be safe wearing riding gloves but then remembered I would touch my visor or wipe my snotty nose (yuck!) with my gloved hand... My philosophy used to be 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' but now it's hygiene first.

·
Registered
464 Posts
For the time being, I have stopped riding. Not because I think I might spread the virus by going out but because if I am knocked off my bike it will a) put a strain on the health services they could do without, and b) if I get taken to hospital - that's where the highest concentration of the virus will be.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Nitrile gloves immediately disposed of when finished fueling and before touching anything else and the usual social distancing - including going to the most upwind pump.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
I put some nitrile gloves in our car glove box to use when getting gas.
All of y’all are being smart, but for some reason I can remember I have the sanitizer better than the gloves.

And I remember vividly the new studies a few years ago that showed gas pumps were nastier than the previous winner, your computer, where at least the bacteria was YOURS.

On a recent trip, I couldn’t get the pumps to work with me in motorcycle gloves and on the bike, and after 5 min. of going mostly through the process, only to hang up on my declining an offer of a discount card, I was PO’d enough that when I dismounted and ripped my gloves off, I forgot all about sanitizer or nitrile gloves, either. About 10PM and lying in bed, my brain said to myself, “Hey, you idiot....”

·
Registered
661 Posts
Nitrile gloves are great for this, but they are harder to get now than TP. I usually get mine from Harborfreight, but they have donated all their supplies of nitrile gloves and face masks to hospitals. Quite admirable. Better to give them away to folks who really need them, instead of selling to the hoarding masses.

Anyhow, I'm conserving the few boxes I have left for when I really need it, which, ironically, is more for the purpose I normally buy them - working on my vehicles. Hot carcinogenic contaminant-ridden old oil is more of a hazard than possible contact with COVID-19 virus AFAIAC.

For pumping gas, I am not too keen on using my riding gloves. Instead, I'm using a cotton glove stored in a plastic bag. I put it on right before gassing up and take it off right after. The virus might last a while on the glove, but, based on what I gather, likely dead by the next time I gas up. Even if I have to use it again within hours, I am careful to put it on without touching the palm and fingers of the glove. This way, the reusable cotton glove works well.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Google Pay now, everywhere. Swipe the phone and I'm one of the cool kids.

I'm carrying nitrile gloves with me as well. Didn't know that about gas pumps. Thanks for the info. It is one of those things that everybody has to touch.

I like the idea of a reusable glove like the cotton one. I have thin mechanic gloves that could serve the purpose. I'll think about that next time I get out.

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
I gassed up this morning and while doing so I thought about this thread. I grabbed a couple paper towels from the windshield cleaning dispenser and used them to grab the pump handle and key pad. Better than nothing I thought.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The virus isn’t the worst thing on those pump handles

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
The virus isn’t the worst thing on those pump handles View attachment 140729
Spandex and flip flops that's prime Floridian there. I was sitting at a gas station having coffee with a few riding buddies when a herd of those walked by and a thought popped into my head. You could never fit 10 lbs of sh!t into a 5 lb bag till they invented Spandex.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Maybe there is a better way to do this….. I stop and remove my gloves, open the gas tank, get out credit card, swap credit card in machine, tap in my zip code, select the gas, put nozzle in tank, hold nozzle as I fill my tank, place nozzle back, get receipt, no receipt so I have to go inside for it, return to bike, remember I have to pee, go back inside to use bathroom ( entire new set of steps) return to bike, put on helmet, put on gloves start bike and ride away…. A lot of different places to touch the Corona Virus and if it gets on leather gloves, wallet, credit card handlebars or tank, it can live for many hours… Keep washing your hands and don't touch your face..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts