BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just thought I’d let you all know what happens when a car hits you from behind while your are stationary at a junction.
Bike was 5 days old and I’d just ridden 300 miles in one day to get the mileage up for first Service.
Sitting at a junction, this fool hits me in the rear! Bike lurched forward and I fell off!
No damage to me but.....
The bike fell on its right side and slid about 2 feet.
Managed to ride it to BMW dealership.
Their estimate on damage was, wait for it, £1600, which included a replacement engine!!!
The upshot of this is that the insurance valued the NEW bike at £16000 ( it cost me £20100 5 days before!)
Therefore they deemed it an uneconomical repair and want to right it off!!!!
It only fell on its side!
Just thought I’d share this with you all as a warning of the immediate depreciation and vulnerability of these bikes.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Hi everyone, just thought I’d let you all know what happens when a car hits you from behind while your are stationary at a junction.
Bike was 5 days old and I’d just ridden 300 miles in one day to get the mileage up for first Service.
Sitting at a junction, this fool hits me in the rear! Bike lurched forward and I fell off!
No damage to me but.....
Their estimate on damage was, wait for it, £1600, which included a replacement engine!!!
The upshot of this is that the insurance valued the NEW bike at £16000 ( it cost me £20100 5 days before!)
Just thought I’d share this with you all as a warning of the immediate depreciation and vulnerability of these bikes.

Great deal for you. Take the check. minus the salvage value, and the bike. Fix/upgrade it yourself. Use the difference for additional upgrades.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Oh that’s horrible, but at least you’re ok.

My insurance provides a new bike if it’s written off in the first three years. I’m sure something similar exists over there. Too late now I know, but it’s a good ‘option’ to ask for next time.

·
Registered
984 Posts
PHUCKING people and their distracted driving going to cost one of us or more our lives. Idiots. Happy that your flesh and bone was not damaged beyond repair too.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
The most important lesson to be learned from your experience is the importance of IMMEDIATELY installing crash bars on the K1600... In a low speed crash the bars do protect the engine.

Duane

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Bummer about the bike, glad to hear that you're OK.

Go after their insurance company for full bike value. Show your purchase paperwork as proof. Include all taxes, delivery & set up fees, etc. Basically, give them the full out-the-door amount that you paid for the bike.

I had a similar incident where my K1300GT was totaled within the first 90 days of picking up the bike. Once I showed the purchase paperwork, they gave me full value for it (good thing they didn't notice that I'd added 20,000 miles on it in that time).

Did any of your gear get damaged or scraped? Gather your receipts and go after those full replacement costs as well.

All my gear was paid out in full, as long as I provided either the original receipts, or else showed new retail prices for the same gear (manufacturer websites worked well enough for that).

I also had a set amount of accessory coverage, which worked as long as I provided receipts or proof of cost. That was easy, as my accessories totaled up to more than that coverage was so they just paid me the maximum. I did increase my accessory coverage for the next time though, as it was a small addition to the premium for thousands more coverage.

Did the dealer charge you to do the damage estimate? Turn in that receipt, and get reimbursement for that cost as well.

Once all that is settled and they come up with a better number that includes all of your out-of-pocket costs, ask them what the salvage value is if you keep the damaged bike. Then you can decide if it's worth your time to fix it properly (and immediately add crash bars), or if you'd rather just let it go and get a shiny new one.

Remember, the insurance adjuster's job (especially if their client is at fault) is to minimize payout. So they always start with a lowball offer. Prove your costs, be polite but firm, and don't settle for anything less.

And if you do decide to let the bike go, then please tell me what the salvage value is, as I'd gladly fly over and take it off your hands for that salvage price... :bmw:

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
I'm glad you came out of this OK, not everyone does. It should be a reminder that when you are at a stop, keep the bike in gear, have an escape plan in your head and watch your rearview mirrors for vehicles approaching faster than usual and do this every time you stop. Several years ago in Arizona, 4 were killed and 5 injured when a dump truck slammed into a group while they were stopped at a traffic light. It's dangerous out there kids, stay alert.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Here are a few options.
It's always negotiable, insist upon full replacement, as a claimant you are entitled. (a Bodily injury threat is an option)
Go through your own company and let them subrogate. A deductible is involved but if your company agrees to full replacement it may make sense. Then sue the driver personally for the deductible.
Try buying back the bike as salvage. I did that once and made out like a bandit, but I was in the business back then.
Ask for a big settlement for appearance damage and keep the bike. live with the scratches and bank all the money.

This is all US insurance claims, not sure if it applies to the UK.

·
Registered
678 Posts
dam who was your insurance company?

·
Registered
585 Posts
No damage to me but.....
I am in a similar situation as you, except I know for a fact the damage was very minor for my bike considering the crash and that it was my fault. No other parties were involved in it, partly due to my own decision to ride it off the road instead of something riskier.

Insurance paid out less than what I owed but not by much. How much they paid was very telling considering they called it a write-off but in fact, it's just exterior stuff and something dodgy about the clutch pack. The pay-out suggests it was about the same degree as i'd surmised from inspecting it myself.
The moron who was hired to evaluate it didn't do their job.
So it's sent off to an auction instead of repairing it, repairing it would have cost them less than totaling it. I don't have the funds to fix it myself and they won't pay me for the parts that are required to restore it even though I'm more than capable and competent enough to do the job.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Firstly, glad to hear you were uninjured. Secondly, commiserations on having your new bike ruined by an idiot.

A couple of points regarding the insurance position in the UK (other locales may be different):

1. A vehicle is normally declared a write-off (ie it is considered uneconomic to repair) if the repair estimate is 75% or more of the market value immediately prior to the damage occurring. £16k is 75% of what you paid for the bike, so it’s not necessarily what the insurer is saying the market value was, just that at that level of damage they class it as a 100% loss
  2. As a third party is 100% liable for your incident, it is their responsibility to return you to the same position you would have been in had the incident not occurred. In other words, to put you on a 5-day old identical bike with no loss to you
If you claim from your insurer, they should make a full recovery from the third party but you will have to claim any excess deductible from the third party separately. There is no need for you to accept anything less than either an identical replacement bike, or the full sum you paid for it 5 days earlier. Personally, I’d make direct contact with the third party's insurer and give them (say) 14 days to come up with an acceptable resolution after which you will pass the claim to a Claims Management company to act on your behalf. The insurers hate that as it will eventually cost them even more to settle, so it's an effective lever that will prompt them to act.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing of a successful resolution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Dave

The Third Party's insurance (Hastings) have stubbornly stated that they will only settle up to their estimated value of £15500! They said they are more than happy for me to claim from my own insurance.
I rang my Insurance (Carole Nash / Zenith) and told them this. They said that my policy does indeed have a "New for Old" clause, which is good news. However, they also said that by claiming on my insurance i would lose NCB and be on record for claiming over £20,000 until the Third Party Insurance reimburses them. They said that the Third Party Insurance would probably reimburse up to the value they estimated the bike was worth, but would hold back on anything above that until they were taken to court by my Insurance!! Ive never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. looks like a whole summer without a bike this year!!
By the way regarding engine bars, these were ordered when i bought the bike, and arrived the day before it was wrecked. Just call me LUCKY.

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts
Was sitting in gear, looking to make sure traffic was clear before pulling out of service station onto a service road close to interstate when a lady hit my rear tire knocking me over against a curb.
Broken collar bone.
Over $9000 they paid ME to repair the bike, replace helmet. Had recently paid 13k for the bike; yea, was a deal.
Found out the hard way about medical coverage. $1500 limit on me. The 10/20000 and 50/100000 and all those big numbers are for the other guy, if you are at fault and damage or injure their ride or them.
I got stuck with thousands in medical bills, for nothing but a couple of xrays.
I checked on adding 10 or 20k medical to my coverage, but it would double the premium, which was already double what my GTL is, because it is classed as a sport bike. *XR (not a sport bike IMO)
Schit happens when you least expect it and well, there ya are.
Best.

Reactions: K16guy

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi Dave

The Third Party's insurance (Hastings) have stubbornly stated that they will only settle up to their estimated value of £15500! They said they are more than happy for me to claim from my own insurance.
I bet they're happy to have you claim on your own policy :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, Hastings are a bunch of c***s.

Engage a Loss Adjuster, or Claims Management company. Hastings can end up paying their fees too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
No damage to me but.....
That sucks, in Canada they have an option on insurance if less than two years old, you get sticker price
Someone hit me one just before two yesterday was up, 35,000km on bike :)
I had no issues with them writing it off

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
That sucks, in Canada they have an option on insurance if less than two years old, you get sticker price
Someone hit me one just before two yesterday was up, 35,000km on bike :)
I had no issues with them writing it off

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Most insurance companies offer a full replacement cost option, but you have to choose it and pay the upcharge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bet they're happy to have you claim on your own policy :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, Hastings are a bunch of c***s.

Engage a Loss Adjuster, or Claims Management company. Hastings can end up paying their fees too.
My Insurance got in touch today and said they would be sending an Assessor out to my bike within the next 5-7 days.
My lot sound much more professional the HastingsDirect!
I guess if they offer me Replacement Money, then all will be good!
If they start nit-picking, then it looks like ill be using a Claims Company!
Thanks for all your support.

These are great bikes, by the way.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts