BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
The most important lesson to be learned from your experience is the importance of IMMEDIATELY installing crash bars on the K1600... In a low speed crash the bars do protect the engine.

Duane
Really?? That is the most important lesson to be learned? Great, next time the bike will be ok and the OP will be in the hospital or the morgue.

The most important lesson to be learned is to take every action possible to be sure it doesn't happen again. Watch your mirrors every time you slow down and if the idiot behind you isn't slowing down as they should get the flock out of there.

The bike can be fixed or replaced. The rider, not so much.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Was sitting in gear, looking to make sure traffic was clear before pulling out of service station onto a service road close to interstate when a lady hit my rear tire knocking me over against a curb.
Broken collar bone.
Over $9000 they paid ME to repair the bike, replace helmet. Had recently paid 13k for the bike; yea, was a deal.
Found out the hard way about medical coverage. $1500 limit on me. The 10/20000 and 50/100000 and all those big numbers are for the other guy, if you are at fault and damage or injure their ride or them.
I got stuck with thousands in medical bills, for nothing but a couple of xrays.
I checked on adding 10 or 20k medical to my coverage, but it would double the premium, which was already double what my GTL is, because it is classed as a sport bike. *XR (not a sport bike IMO)
Schit happens when you least expect it and well, there ya are.
Best.
PResently sitting in a similar scenario with the medical crap, I have two nondislocated fractures in both hands. They x-rayed me, splintinted them and sent me home with an advil, 10000 dollars later... I'm seeking proper medical care from the V.A. I discovered more injuries later they failed to check for, lucky for me i'm experienced with treating severe burns and abrasions.
Public system is a bunch of eeffin con-artists.

In the state of Wa there is no requirement to provide medical coverage on your insurance if you select full/comprehensive.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My Insurance got in touch today and said they would be sending an Assessor out to my bike within the next 5-7 days.
Good. That's a start.

I spoke with an underwriter friend of mine last night (he's not involved with motor insurance, so it's not his area of expertise and therefore the below isn't "professional advice"), and he offered the following suggestions:

1. If you have legal protection cover then this usually provides a free helpline for guidance. You can use this without being "legally represented" which makes a difference legally and with how your claim is handled by Hastings. They should be able to give you definitive answers to all your questions including the valuation.
  2. If you were injured, even in the slightest and have not yet reported this, you really need to do this ASAP. Any stoicism will be gratefully received by Hastings while cynically messing with compensating you for the value of your bike. Same applies to damaged clothing. For example, even a minor contact with the road with your helmet means that it must be replaced and they are liable.
  3. If you want to DIY you need an assessor, but you should be aware they are impartial so you may (still) be disappointed with the outcome but he'd be astonished if it's not quite a bit better than what's on offer from Hastings.
  4. There are things Hastings should do including paying for/providing a rental while a suitable replacement is sourced and sometimes they will take dealer valuations, but the helpline should be your first port of call.
As your insurer has appointed an assessor it appears that they are handling the claim on your behalf, which is probably the best approach bearing in mind the third-party insurer's attitude thus far.

Point #4 (provision of a rental vehicle) is interesting and one I hadn't considered. Rental cost for a large luxury touring bike is astronomical, so it may be worth pursuing that route as an additional lever on Hastings to make a prompt full settlement, especially if you have a pre-booked or scheduled trip coming up that you intended to make on your new K1600, but I would certainly take advice on it from the legal protection people before doing so.

·
Registered
139 Posts
From someone who has worked in the insurance industry...

Always take the ambulance ride or get yourself to the ER immediately after a crash...especially if someone else is at fault. Mention *anything* you feel that isn't normal and be sure to go back if you feel worse or have additional injuries pop up after the initial visit.

Always get a police report and discuss its contents with the officer on scene. Clarify any missing or incorrect details at the scene if possible.

Never agree to anything a insurance company offers the first go'round. Discuss all of this with someone who deals with this kind of thing for a living.

Be *very* careful what you say to anyone representing an insurance company, the other parties involved, etc. Especially on the phone.

Good luck to you.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Found out the hard way about medical coverage. $1500 limit on me. The 10/20000 and 50/100000 and all those big numbers are for the other guy, if you are at fault and damage or injure their ride or them.
I got stuck with thousands in medical bills, for nothing but a couple of xrays.
Best.
In Flatlorida, this is called Uninsured Motorist and is about 1/2 of my insurance cost. It is also why some claim to have very inexpensive insurance. They do not have full coverage.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
See post #13 and #23. Several forum members been injured after being hit by a car.
Do you need a lesson in reading comprehension? The 'accident' you refer to, post #13/#23, are the same. And the accident had NOTHING to do with a car, @K16guy was riding offload. I'll also point out my original comment was a post BEFORE either one of these. Just what we need, another troll on the forum. Move on and leave me the f___ alone.

Duane

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
C'mon Duane, he does have a point.

Fortunately, Andymac wasn't hurt here, but it could easily have gone another way.

And K16guy clearly stated that he chose to run the bike off the road in order to avoid hitting other objects. So yes, a bit of reading comprehension does help there...

Immediately adding crash bars to the K16 is always good advice, but so is watch your 6 and try to avoid the crash in the first place...

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Meese is correct. With my first GT I went through my own insurance and nicely argued for several days until I was happy. As it wasn't my fault it did not increase my insurance.

Another thought for everyone. In my 53 years of riding I have avoided a rear end collision 3 times by watching behind me. I was behind another car on two of those and avoided death by moving out of the way just in time. Both cars that were in front of me were badly damaged. The third time I went through a red light at a not busy intersection to get away.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Many years ago I was riding my then commuter bike (a small Honda twin) in a slow-moving / stop start queue on the approach to a roundabout. I was third in the queue and stationery. Car at the head of the queue moved off, second car moved forward and stopped and I moved forward and stopped behind it. Idiot woman in car behind me carried on and ran into me, thankfully at very low speed and then stopped.

I had some space in front of me, but she pushed me around 10 feet, almost to the point of me hitting the stationery car in front of me. My instant reaction had been to jam on the front brake (which proved to be totally ineffective against a car pushing me!) and then leapt off the bike to get out of the way before I became the meat in a metal sandwich. Turned out the woman driving was rabbiting to her passenger instead of paying attention to the traffic ahead.

Sometimes, no matter how well you plan, there really is nowhere to go if someone behind you does something really stupid.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
The 'context' of the OP was damage sustained to the K1600 from getting knocked over at a stop light and dealing with the insurance company. If you're sitting at a stop light/sign and a car immediately behind you goes forward, here's a revelation, you're probably going to get hit. Should you watch your six when stopped, duh, no kidding, what a revelation; where on here has anyone said you shouldn't? Trolls, with nothing better to do than stir up crap. :)

Duane

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
And yet, Rick just above has shown that watching your 6 and taking evasive action does work.

Nobody's here just to stir up crap (well, except maybe for wizard :)). We're just saying that all of this is good advice, including your comments...

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Nobody's here just to stir up crap (well, except maybe for wizard :)). We're just saying that all of this is good advice, including your comments...

@Meese, guess you read post #21 different from me...

Duane

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Guess I did.

All I see is a difference of opinion, which happens when you have many intelligent adults discussing any situation. I don't see any reason to escalate or take it personal, on either side.

You've made your point, and it's valid, just like the other points presented here.

I disagree with the politics of several members here (including yourself, most likely), but I also realize that we have much more in common that we do at odds. And I'd be glad to strafe some twisties or share a beverage with any of you (preferably, not at the same time though).

So I'd rather focus on the positive, take in all the good advice posted here, and hopefully contribute some of my own.

It's all good, my friend...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Should you watch your six when stopped, duh, no kidding, what a revelation; where on here has anyone said you shouldn't? Trolls, with nothing better to do than stir up crap. :)

Duane
Duane,

I place a far higher level of importance on preventing an accident rather than dealing with the aftermath. My professional life and experience is largely responsible for this view. Stating as much is not a personal attack on you and it is unfortunate that you perceive it that way. Feel free to take and/or state a different approach, I wont be offended.

Is it a revelation to watch your six when you slow down? No, but it is something many folks that haven't yet incorporated it into their routine need to be reminded of. Rick's post on the subject can be even more helpful and perhaps someone reading this thread will take that suggestion to heart and actually change their process. That is my hope.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I must be a complete novice at this stuff. Up until now I have never heard of, or read of anyone that managed to get out of the way of a vehicle coming up behind them while they were stopped. At best I have talked to riders who left a more than average amount of room/distance between them and a vehicle in front of them, got hit and because of their distance didn't get trapped between two vehicles, or pushed into an intersection. They were all unfortunately hit from the rear.

I don't know how someone could perceive and react to a vehicle coming up behind them at any real speed and manage to get out of the way before being struck, unless they were decidedly watching their rear view mirrors and making a speed and distance estimate, then deciding which way do I go, left right or? Engaging clutch and throttle and making the turn to exit the situation. All of this from a stopped position, not to say anything about traffic stopped alongside of you which will undoubtedly force the evasive turn direction.

Should we watch what is going on behind us? Certainly, but lets face facts, most everyone once stopped is looking at a host of other items such as the traffic light and perhaps how heavy cross traffic is in order to make a safe departure when it's your turn, or maybe even pedestrians, but I don't keep my eye balls on my rear view mirrors directing all my attention on my "6". I also kind of pre-plan my departure based on what the traffic signal is showing so I get moving as soon as it is safe to do so. Lag a second too long and someone behind you starts blowing the horn or worse yet is already moving on anticipation of the light change usually while talking on their cell phone. Then of course before I actually start moving I try to look as far down the street as I can both ways to try and avoid the last second moron who comes charging thru a red light.

I have long used space as my escape route and I never crowd a stopped vehicle in front of me. If I see someone coming up hard behind me I'll start purposely engaging my brake light as a friendly "Hey dummy, I am here and I am stopped warning". But I don't think I could ever react quickly enough to get big ass bike like my GTL out of Harms Way in a second or two or even four. At that point you better have some living space in front of you.

Rick H.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't know how someone could perceive and react to a vehicle coming up behind them at any real speed and manage to get out of the way before being struck, unless they were decidedly watching their rear view mirrors and making a speed and distance estimate, then deciding which way do I go, left right or? Engaging clutch and throttle and making the turn to exit the situation. All of this from a stopped position, not to say anything about traffic stopped alongside of you which will undoubtedly force the evasive turn direction.
The key takeaway should be that you have planned ahead. You are in 1st gear with hand on the clutch lever and an escape route already decided upon with enough space to the vehicle in front of you to execute your plan. Lane positioning is key as well. On two lanes in the same direction I always choose the outside of the lane.

There seem to be an endless number of video's on YouTube about motorcycles getting rear ended.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
That's tough, but your health is everything.... Don't let this stop you from riding! I wonder if the guy was on his phone!!!!??
Geo

21 - 40 of 51 Posts