BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike had been rained on last night and when I went for a group ride today I'd press set , I could feel the cruise control accelerate a little and no matter what as soon as I let go of the throttle it rolled completely off and of course the cruise control light SET light went out. I was working fine a few nights ago on a group ride, So am open to any and all help and suggestions.

On a different note Not related to the cruise control wont stay on I got an error on the dash and eventually tracked it down to being right hand rear indicator, I assume was soaked as I questioned the guy I bought it off about the clear lens protecting the tail lights is missing, along with some other error codes like the right hand grip heater had failed 256 times but still heated the grips, the previous owner is happy to keep my 16K I'd paid for it call me a liar about the problems and wants nothing to do with me.........

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
It's odd, to me, that the rain may have done all this. I've ridden through torrential rains and even got caught in a microburst back in August and it's never affected anything on the bike.

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
International Man of Mystery
3,556 Posts
Probably in the context of your switch gear failure on the right side of the bike. The left switch gear could be on its way out as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's odd, to me, that the rain may have done all this. I've ridden through torrential rains and even got caught in a microburst back in August and it's never affected anything on the bike.
MISSING THE PROTECTIVE CLEAR LENS OVER THE LED'S I'M SURE WAS CAUSING THE LEFT AND RIGHT INDICATOR FAULT, WHEN i GOT HOME PLUGGED IN THE GS-911 AND FAULT WAS POSSIBLE SHORT OF THE LEDS OR BAD BATTERY CONNECTION, SO I'LL SOME HOW HAVE TO WATER PROOF/RESIST THEM FOR FUTURE RAIN........

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably in the context of your switch gear failure on the right side of the bike. The left switch gear could be on its way out as well.
I still have a nagging feeling in my gut that I bought a lemon..........BMW said the switches left and right were replaced under the recall back in 2017.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Have they changed your right cluster? As you was having problems with the kill switch.
Cruise control deactivates when you roll of completely and pushing forward the throttle.
If they have changed the cluster, maybe it has been bad assembled and when you release the throttle it activates the disable switch as when you push the throttle forward.
Just an idea.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have they changed your right cluster? As you was having problems with the kill switch.
Cruise control deactivates when you roll of completely and pushing forward the throttle.
If they have changed the cluster, maybe it has been bad assembled and when you release the throttle it activates the disable switch as when you push the throttle forward.
Just an idea.
I'm going to squirt some water dispersal in there, and in the mean time, been trying to find on this site how to recalibrate the throttle, on the note of when the kill switch died and I couldnt srt it, jumped the wires for the KILL as it was reading as an open circuit so now have to turn it off with the key, BMW said they replaced the switch blocks back in 2017 so no warranty, I'm wondering if when I was levering the clutch switch trying to get it out to check as another member suggested if I damaged the switch, someone said there were 2 switches in there one to be able to start the engine the other was cruise control related.......I'm still pulling my hair out

·
Registered
405 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I've read those 2 completely.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
I don't think there is a published wiring schematic for these bikes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the switchgear on my previous GTL, 2012 model replaced and had the identical problem with the cruise afterwards. I returned to the shop and they had to "reset the learned values". This can be done with the GS911 tool as well, so if you have one you should be able to complete that.
On another note...the switch gear might have been replaced, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't fail a second time. I had mine done 2X for both sides, once while in warranty, and once out of warranty.
Good luck with you bike, don't lose faith, they are great motorcycles!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's 4 things that defeat the CC. Rolling the throttle grip forward, front brake lever, clutch lever and rear brake pedal. Make sure none of those are hanging up.
the switch in the clutch was in bad condition, so wired up another switch to the bars for the cc, used the good switch out of the 2 in the clutch for pulling cluch in to start while in gear.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's 4 things that defeat the CC. Rolling the throttle grip forward, front brake lever, clutch lever and rear brake pedal. Make sure none of those are hanging up.
Ok can confirm neither front or rear brakes are "hanging up" can confirm that clutch isnt the problem, set light comes on and even if I let the throttle go slowly, rolls all the way off and set light goes out, one thing I'm going to try tomorrow in the daylight is remove the ezcan device I bought, I hooked it up but none of the outlets are connected to anything, am going to remove it completely then if that doesnt work, wait a couple of weeks for the payout on the GTR1400 I wrote off a couple of weeks ago and book in at a dealer and fet the pro's to fix it...........

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok can confirm neither front or rear brakes are "hanging up" can confirm that clutch isnt the problem, set light comes on and even if I let the throttle go slowly, rolls all the way off and set light goes out, one thing I'm going to try tomorrow in the daylight is remove the ezcan device I bought, I hooked it up but none of the outlets are connected to anything, am going to remove it completely then if that doesnt work, wait a couple of weeks for the payout on the GTR1400 I wrote off a couple of weeks ago and book in at a dealer and fet the pro's to fix it...........
Completely removed the ezcan device and nope still no cruise control. I'm out of ideas now......

1 - 20 of 43 Posts