BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I read the article yesterday and it seems Bonnier has purchased several motorcycle magazines and several have failed, seems as if Bonnier is either grossly incompetent or deliberately undermining the publication of motorcycle magazines. I know having the ability to view content online has hurt the print media but I still believe there's enough folks around that still prefer to have a magazine or book in hand to read.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,427 Posts
Rider magazine is still desperately trying to keep a print magazine going, as the repeated email solicitations would indicate. If they go all digital, that will pretty much leave only club or brand-specific publications as the only print motorcycle magazines in the US, other than maybe some very expensive quarterlies on antique bike restoration or some such.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I read the article yesterday and it seems Bonnier has purchased several motorcycle magazines and several have failed, seems as if Bonnier is either grossly incompetent or deliberately undermining the publication of motorcycle magazines. I know having the ability to view content online has hurt the print media but I still believe there's enough folks around that still prefer to have a magazine or book in hand to read.
Why in the world would anyone buy/spend money on a magazine company/companies to undermine Motorcycle mags. That's just crazy. It's more like making a bad investment. Welcome to the 2000's. LOL......

·
Outta This World
1,846 Posts
Why in the world would anyone buy/spend money on a magazine company/companies to undermine Motorcycle mags. That's just crazy. It's more like making a bad investment. Welcome to the 2000's. LOL......
Bonnier was the owner of cycle world, the new owner - Octane is a powersport finance outfit. Great, now the advertising is tied at the hip to the publication.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Stranger things have happened. If you buy one or two magazines and they fail you can say it's due to incompetence or a bad investment but when you buy several magazines and they all quickly fail you have to wonder about the buyers intentions. Not saying this is the case with Bonnier but you never know

·
Outta This World
1,846 Posts
The voice of independent journalism has already moved online. It exists in blogs, forums, dedicated websites, consumer supported outlets (e.g. Patreon), and video outlets. The concept of a curated print publication is dead because the medium isn't dynamic enough to suit the advertisers. Like any fundamental shift in technology/business model the money (advertising) follows the activity. We as a society killed the magazines by simply no longer needing them - no market, no revenue. Communities (FB/Twit/forums) and the like are the new target. The information I read here (for example) is way more valuable to me than anything I have gotten out of a magazine in many years.

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
(n) I have more of a sentimental connection to it from memories from my younger days. I have not been a paper and ink consumer of it for many years.

Reactions: AZK1600GTL

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Rider magazine is still desperately trying to keep a print magazine going, as the repeated email solicitations would indicate. If they go all digital, that will pretty much leave only club or brand-specific publications as the only print motorcycle magazines in the US, other than maybe some very expensive quarterlies on antique bike restoration or some such.
I haven't received my Rider for months now. Tried calling them but get no response back.

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,427 Posts
I haven't received my Rider for months now. Tried calling them but get no response back.
That's odd, as the online digital magazine rolls right on with new material. Wonder if they're so close to going under that they don't have enough spare cash to pay the printer. Regardless, I'd be ticked if I'd paid my money.

·
Techmeister
1,632 Posts
I cost a lot of money to make a print run and if the hard-copy subscriptions drop below a critical level, it no longer pays to print the run because it is too small.

·
Techmeister
1,632 Posts
I spent five years in print working on pre-press equipment. I hate magazines, primarily because I hate advertising. One cannot pick up a magazine without thumbing through page-after-page of advertising. So, these days I do not read printed magazines.

·
Super Moderator
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I spent five years in print working on pre-press equipment. I hate magazines, primarily because I hate advertising. One cannot pick up a magazine without thumbing through page-after-page of advertising. So, these days I do not read printed magazines.
Except for MCN magazine, which is also gone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts