BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the wheels yesterday and started removing the tire from the front wheel this afternoon. I purchased a Harbor Freight Bead Breaker this afternoon because I couldn't break the bead by hand. It did the trick as far as breaking the bead from the wheel.

Things were going smoothly until I found the tire pressure monitor floating inside the tire/wheel.

I broke the beads across from the sensor first and used tie raps to keep the tire thin so it would fit into the wheel recess. I was thrilled with my progress until I realized I broke the sensor.

I went to the dealer and purchased a new stem and sensor. Not the plastic large piece. I tried buying 3 but they only had one.

Question 1: Do I use an EZ Out or just replace both the valve and the metal stem sensor?

Question 2: Most importantly, what the heck did I do wrong and how do I keep from doing again both putting the new tire on and then removing the rear tire from the wheel.

Question 3: Re-installing the new tire, do I start at the sensor or opposite the sensor.

I'm just looking for a little helpful advise so I don't ruin another sensor. It's so big and delicate..........

I am using all hand tools, I do not have a machine. So far I have not damaged the wheel at all.

I did find using more lubricant really did help. That was some advise someone gave me. "Use a lot of lubricant"......................It was a not so subtle clue.

Bill

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Hi Bill. Mr Duane “Gunnert “ will probably respond to your questions in the morning with some suggestions. In addition, do a search on Utube for k1600 tire pressure sensors and
you’ll see some videos on same.

·
Steve's Brother
6,243 Posts
GunnerT can advise on removing the broken piece but I'm sure he will suggest one of those left hand twist EZ outs.
As far as reinstalling a new tire start the bead next to the sensor and work around the wheel away from the sensor. The last few inches to drop over the rim should be above the sensor. The same when removing the old tire, start several inches away from the sensor and work away from it. The old tire will be loose well before you get back to the sensor.
I have used the Harbor Freight bead breaker on many many tires but you need to stay away from the sensor when breaking the bead. Once 270 deg. of the bead is broken you should be able to push the rest of it down with your hands. In this way you're not tempted to use the bead breaker anywhere near the sensor.

·
Steve's Brother
6,243 Posts
GunnerT can advise on the removal of the broken piece but he probably will suggest a left hand twist EZ out.

As far as mounting the new tire start several inches away from the sensor and work around the rim again away from the sensor. When removing an old tire again start several inches away from the sensor and well before you get back to it the tire will come loose from the wheel.

I have used a Harbor Freight bead breaker on many many tires and if you stay away from the sensor you should be OK. If the bead is still stuck near the sensor you should be able to push it down with your hands.

I only recently purchased a No-Mar tire machine but changed tires for over 30 years using hand tools. I did make a simple holding fixture that I could clamp to my work bench that really worked slick. I can send a print of that fixture made from 2X4, plywood and a long threaded rod. The best tire irons are available at Harbor Freight for less than $10 each.

Attachments

·
Mr.Fix It
6,882 Posts
Concur with Arizona Jim; easy out. The hollow bolt is aluminum and comes right out. You just st have to be careful when removing/installing tire. I have a rim clamp machine and start the de-mounting head just behind the valve stem. I keep a spare hollow bolt with my plug kit on the bottom ke 24/7, just in case...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Concur with Arizona Jim; easy out. The hollow bolt is aluminum and comes right out. You just st have to be careful when removing/installing tire. I have a rim clamp machine and start the de-mounting head just behind the valve stem. I keep a spare hollow bolt with my plug kit on the bottom ke 24/7, just in case...
Do you mind telling me where you got the hollow bolt? My tps was broken inside the wheel from when dealer mounted tire last time. For now I will run bike w/o sensor...

·
Jim's Brother
2,771 Posts
You can order it from here or go to your local dealer and order it. It's item 7 in section 36 and cost roughly $14. This is showing a GT but the bolt is the same on the different models and years.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,882 Posts
@Scotty, BMW dealer is only place I know of to get bolt. BMW P/N: 36 23 8 521 833

Duane

·
Registered
408 Posts
@Scotty, BMW dealer is only place I know of to get bolt. BMW P/N: 36 23 8 521 833

Duane
Kinda figured. Assume we’re talking that flimsy plastic bolt...

Appreciate ya.

·
Mr.Fix It
6,882 Posts

Appreciate ya.
I'm not assuming, the P/N I posted was for the retaining bolt that holds the TPMS onto the inner rim of the wheel. It is not a plastic bolt. It's an aluminum bolt with a hole in the middle.

Duane

·
Registered
408 Posts

Appreciate ya.
I'm not assuming, the P/N I posted was for the retaining bolt that holds the TPMS onto the inner rim of the wheel. It is not a plastic bolt. It's an aluminum bolt with a hole in the middle.

Duane
Gotcha. Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts