BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out on the bike last night and was pulling into the drive when I noticed that the dash was showing that the rear tire was @ 30# of pressure. I normally keep it around 42#. I pulled into the garage and went to bed. Got up this morning and first thing checked the pressure to find it wouldn't register on the gauge. I had an eye exam this morning 1st thing, so I went to that and picked up a compressor @ Walmart and came home. Filled the tire and heard the dreaded hisssss. Rolled the bike forward a bit and the hiss went to a louder HISSSSS. Darn the luck...picked up a screw, and not in a good way!

Very grateful I didn't go down on the 101 Loop @ 80 mph! To make matters a bit more frustrating, I tried to get her up on the center stand but no love. I just don't have enough oomph. So, I guess I'm stuck putting a plug in her to get her to the shop.

I called Go Arizona Motorsports and they told me that they wouldn't be able to pick her up till Tues and they conveniently didn't have an Brigstone 190/55/17 in stock either. They did however, have a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's for the grand sum mounted and balanced for $500 that they can install tomorrow about 2pm. They did give me the option of ordering the Stone for $225, but I wouldn't get the bike back till the weekend. So, I think I'll just pull the trigger for a set on new shoes and get the Michelin's tomorrow as long as the plug holds for the trip there.

Sad part is I only had 4K on the Stones. Oh well, luck of the draw!

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Ditto Marc and Duane. Put a plug in and monitor the pressure. I've ridden till the tread was gone on multiple occasions after putting a plug in. (as long as it was not in the sidewall).
Good luck.

P.S. Are you working with the guys on the west side or Scottsdale? I can vouch of the Scottsdale guys, they're solid folks. (have not been to the Peoria shop, so cannot comment)

·
Registered
139 Posts
We plug tires on our track bikes and never have any issues. Just use a plug kit that includes the glue as it helps lubricate for insertion and also causes the plug to seal better.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I won’t go to Peoria anymore. It’s half as far. Nuff said

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ditto Marc and Duane. Put a plug in and monitor the pressure. I've ridden till the tread was gone on multiple occasions after putting a plug in. (as long as it was not in the sidewall).
Good luck.

P.S. Are you working with the guys on the west side or Scottsdale? I can vouch of the Scottsdale guys, they're solid folks. (have not been to the Peoria shop, so cannot comment)

Just went to the Peoria shop yesterday. Seemed like an ordinary place...Met a fellow from Europe there that was on a GTL and he recommended a place in Phoenix called MotoGhost located @ 21628 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85024. They are close Sunday and Monday but they work exclusively on BMW. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
They have a very good rep with the local BMW chapter,AZBeemers. Ive never been but have heard good things.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
Gummy worm with a little rubber cement to slide it in easier. Then forget about it until the tire wears to the point of replacement.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Safety Seal is my choice. I have a RoadSmart III that has had a plug in it for about 6000mi. The tire now has close to 8000mi on it. It's getting close to replacement.

·
Registered
757 Posts
On a previous bike, I got a slow leak from picking up a screw in an almost brand new tire. I was amazed to find there are two schools of thought on repairing motorcycle tires. None of the BMW dealerships in the Seattle area would patch a motorcycle tire. It was hard to find an independent shop that would put on a patch. They would advise a plug as temporary "get home at slow speed" measure only. I think Michelin is the only motorcycle tire maker that condones a repair and only if it's near the center.

I know, there are plenty of people that do plug or patch their tires. Your bike, your choice.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Agreed, a subject similar to what's the best oil to run in your bike. Of course no franchise dealership is going to plug or patch a tire. Talk about playing Russian Roulette with your business.... Now if a little Mom and Pop repair shop wants to take the risk that's up to them, but I certainly wouldn't do it if it were my business on the line. Way too many variables to consider plugging or patching a tire.

Rick H.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
I've always believed that a tire patched from the inside is fine to ride on indefinitely but not a plug. I can't find anyone that will patch one anymore, and in fairness it costs a lot more because they have to remove the tire.

Three times in the last few years I've gotten a nail in a tire within weeks of it being new. I've bought a new tire every time after plugging them myself on the road. Based upon input here from very trusted members, I may rethink that.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not a fan of patching motorcycle tires. Just my thing. I worked at a garage when I was in high school and patched a lot of tires. We would never use plugs. Always inside patch. We the went to mushroom patches. Its an inside patch with a plug. Seem to be safer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not a fan of patching motorcycle tires. Just my thing. I worked at a garage when I was in high school and patched a lot of tires. We would never use plugs. Always inside patch. We the went to mushroom patches. Its an inside patch with a plug. Seem to be safer.

I like those but I didn't see them when I went for a kit, but I just went to O'Reilly's. I opted out of the Expen$ive route and took the advice of the group and just gonna ride the plug out for a minute.
Thanks for all the responses cause I've always been taught to replace the tire. But I'm gonna order a matching tire for the front and put it on when it gets in. The wife is coming to visit Memorial day and she wants to view the landscape from the passenger seat. So for piece of mind for her sake I'' pull the trigger on a new shoe for her. :wink:0:)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
It certainly is a divisive subject but I would urge you to do an internet search and look for a recorded AND verified (not, 'my mates brother blah blah blah') story of a plugged tire causing an accident.

just my 0.02c

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
It certainly is a divisive subject but I would urge you to do an internet search and look for a recorded AND verified (not, 'my mates brother blah blah blah') story of a plugged tire causing an accident.

just my 0.02c
And, if a plug fails I suppose it will just start leaking air again and if you have a tire pressure display/ warning you'll be right back where you started. I guess that back in the day when tires were half the size and the treads were half as thick you might get a "blow out" and/or the tire unseating itself from the rim but I'm not hearing much talk of that kind of problem lately. I'd be really interested to hear from someone who had catastrophic tire failure and what they think was the cause, plug or otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Last century, as a teenager working at a gas station and on a tow truck, I probably plugged a couple hundred tires for customers that would drive in with a nail or screw. Never heard of one returning with a problem. The materials may have been modified over time, but the basics including the tools themselves haven't changed in 40 years. That's a pretty good piece of anecdotal evidence.

I carry a kit, but have never used it. I think of it as a "use in case of emergency" kind of kit. If I need to plug an m/c tire, I think peace of mind would rule and I would replace the tire at my first chance to do so. Not arguing the case of running a patched tire because I have no experience with it.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Last century, as a teenager working at a gas station and on a tow truck, I probably plugged a couple hundred tires for customers that would drive in with a nail or screw. Never heard of one returning with a problem. The materials may have been modified over time, but the basics including the tools themselves haven't changed in 40 years. That's a pretty good piece of anecdotal evidence.

I carry a kit, but have never used it. I think of it as a "use in case of emergency" kind of kit. If I need to plug an m/c tire, I think peace of mind would rule and I would replace the tire at my first chance to do so. Not arguing the case of running a patched tire because I have no experience with it.
Agree with you John. I've carried plugs and air pump on all my rides (cars and motorcycles) When we were remodeling a house a couple of years back, I was awarded nails in the tires almost every trip it seemed. I just plugged the tires and ran them until the tread dictated replacement. The OP should certainly do what he's comfortable with, but I have no problem using a plug. BTW, I used plugs in the previous century also, LOL >:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts