BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone advise on a good deceleration brake light. I do a lot of gearing up and down in traffic and am constantly worried about the guy behind seeing that I've slowed down.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've got to use a similar system on the wife's Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, when using the higher regen 4&5 settings.

I have to say I find it a mixed blessing - great in heavy traffic, but annoying for other drivers when off the throttle say on a downhill section, through some tight bends or using cruise, when the brake lights get to flicker excessively. I guess it makes anyone following more aware of my presence, but it must get a tad annoying nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
I've got to use a similar system on the wife's Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, when using the higher regen 4&5 settings.

I have to say I find it a mixed blessing - great in heavy traffic, but annoying for other drivers when off the throttle say on a downhill section, through some tight bends or using cruise, when the brake lights get to flicker excessively. I guess it makes anyone following more aware of my presence, but it must get a tad annoying nonetheless.
Is it triggered by regen or by deceleration?

·
Premium Member
2,382 Posts
I've wondered for a long time why this feature wasn't on every motorcycle as a standard item since just about everyone who rides, used the transmission to slow down. I added one to my new 2002 K 1200 LT not long after I bought it, but the company that made it went out of business. I then moved it to my GTL and am glad to know that wen I slow down, even if I'm not using my brake, those behind me notice the change in speed.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Very interesting topic. I'd never known about these systems. Make sense though, and they really should be standard on motorcycles.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
I have a New IQ-260-D that was a warranty replacement that I will sell for $65 shipped. This is only the control unit. I bought a replacement unit as I had a trip coming up, and Skene wasn't able to process the warranty in time for my trip.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the feedback, so far. It does seem like these should be a standard safety feature on motorcycles.

Has any used Vovolights? They seem to have mixed reviews but are inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
I have the Volo lights license plate frame. I was on the initial Kickstarter campaign. They also have a module that will make any after market light do it. Had it on a 2013 and moved it to the 2016 with no issues. PosiTaps are the way to go in regards to splicing.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
or Hex ezCan...Similar functionality and a much cleaner install.
The Hex ezCan doesn't come with LED lights. Haven't installed the ezCan, but don't know how much cleaner you can get than the plug/play Clearwater setup..

Duane

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
The Hex ezCan doesn't come with LED lights. Haven't installed the ezCan, but don't know how much cleaner you can get than the plug/play Clearwater setup..

Duane
You'll just have to trust me on the cleanliness of the installation then. I've seen/had both.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did the Skene, work great!
I bought the Skene rear lights with the decelerometer last summer at the MOA rally. I can get the lights to work for braking only - and for additional brake lights they are exceptional.
The deceleration aspect will not activate. I’ve been a bit disappointed in this. I’ve programmed for the sensitivity and nothing works.

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
I bought the Skene rear lights with the decelerometer last summer at the MOA rally. I can get the lights to work for braking only - and for additional brake lights they are exceptional.
The deceleration aspect will not activate. I’ve been a bit disappointed in this. I’ve programmed for the sensitivity and nothing works.
So, what's funny about that is that I have no idea if my Skene decel works or not.:frown:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts