BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
One more thing, I used to not give deer xing signs on the interstate much thought. I used to think it was a waste of metal since deer are everywhere. But then I learned that those are placed in areas of confirmed migration paths and higher statistical deer strikes which earns their specific placement. Since paying more attention to these areas, I can confirm that many more red stains from past strikes lay on those paved stretches where I live.
I just move those signs away from the areas I ride in to solve the problem.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Great topic !!! In NJ, deer and motorcycles is a big issue especially in the mating season. The Garden State is a garden around all major hwys. Early in the morning is a red flag, you wish to speed up, but in the back of my mind, I am looking for the first to cross the hwy in a blink of an eye. I always ride on the left lane just in case to give me another split second and also better to drop her and me on the grass on the left. Happy and safe and deer free rides............!!!!!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't agree with the rain slowing down animal activity. I have bow hunted most of my life and I have learned by better sportsman than I'll ever be that animal activity increases significantly just prior to and immediately proceeding rain or stormy weather. I can remember lots of instances while driving and seeing lots of Deer feeding during some hard rains. I have witnessed two Moose hit by cars and there are no winners only survivors. If the rain affects them than why are they waterproof. ..

·
Sir Robin’s Lead Minstrel
1,424 Posts
While on the scene, the State Police found cocaine in his saddlebag. This guy has a really bad day: M/C accident, head injuries, $$$$ helicopter ride, jail and loss of his medical license...:cry:
I’ll never forget the shock at seeing a R1200GSA rider on Live PD who was some sort of licensed professional, wearing an Hawaiian shirt and smelling of alcohol, and they check out the topcase, and it’s full of liquor. DUDE! Wut the bleep? He was having a very different kind of adventure.

·
1,424 Posts
How about standing on your front porch? 😬

View attachment 144512

This guy was just outside my front door, probably weighs around 1,500 lbs. They are taller and heavier than deer of course, so they tend to end up coming through the windshield of cars and/or crush the roof, and kill people fairly often that way.

On a bike... I would think it would be like hitting a brick wall...
Via mythresults.com, a site that summarizes all old Mythbusters’ test results. Of note, they didn’t test it with a motorcycle.

If you are going to hit a moose with a vehicle, it is safer to hit it at a higher speed than to try to slow down.
BUSTED

The Build Team ran identical cars into a fake rubber moose at two different speeds. The damage from the high speed impact was located higher up on the vehicle and was more severe. It was speculated that hitting a moose at a high speed would only work with a very low car such as an F1 race car. Such a car would be able to take out the legs and clear the area before the moose fell on top of it.

So, obviously this means you should only drive F1 cars in moose country. 🤣

·
Outta This World
1,845 Posts
How about standing on your front porch? 😬

View attachment 144512

This guy was just outside my front door, probably weighs around 1,500 lbs. They are taller and heavier than deer of course, so they tend to end up coming through the windshield of cars and/or crush the roof, and kill people fairly often that way.

On a bike... I would think it would be like hitting a brick wall...
One of the couples we ride with hit a moose last year, just grazed it. Coming over a hill and around a blind corner and moose.. The moose was just as freaked out and jumped or tried to at the last second (as far as moose can jump) and still ended up with a right rear moose quarter vs Yamaha Venture front end collision. Guess who won. The moose didn't even go very far, apparently it stood on the bank and admired the havoc it had caused until the ambulance showed up. The bike was totaled, both pilot and passenger took an ambulance ride. At the hospital the nurse is like 'it was this corner, and this time of day' describing the where and when of the accident and then several other nurses chimed in to say that 'that stupid moose' was always causing accidents. Apparently its the same young bull in every case. Fortunately the couple is almost fully recovered now and looking for their next ride.

·
Outta This World
1,845 Posts
Via mythresults.com, a site that summarizes all old Mythbusters’ test results. Of note, they didn’t test it with a motorcycle.

If you are going to hit a moose with a vehicle, it is safer to hit it at a higher speed than to try to slow down.
BUSTED

The Build Team ran identical cars into a fake rubber moose at two different speeds. The damage from the high speed impact was located higher up on the vehicle and was more severe. It was speculated that hitting a moose at a high speed would only work with a very low car such as an F1 race car. Such a car would be able to take out the legs and clear the area before the moose fell on top of it.

So, obviously this means you should only drive F1 cars in moose country. 🤣
:LOL:

I was always taught 'cats flattened while you wait', which is just a memory reinforcement phrase meaning anything cat sized and smaller you go through, anything larger you avoid at all costs. I cannot imagine hitting a large animal at speed having seen what a Montana white tailed jackrabbit can do to the front end of a 66 dodge pickup.

·
Techmeister
1,628 Posts
Highway 16, just north of Conway; I was the second car behind a pickup who plowed through a cow and two calves. The cow was missed, but both of her young were nailed at speed. One was killed outright and the other had what was obviously a broken spine. The hurt calf was screaming in pain and the mom was very perturbed.

We all stopped to secure the scene. While the cow was walking around the scene, we were trying to stop traffic and keep away from her. On the stretch of highway, a mountain was on one side and a drop-off was on the other. As mom walked toward me I jump over the guardrail and duck behind a tree.

When I saw the red and blue lights coming up the road I took off because only the calves were the victim and mom looked pissed.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So far this summer I missed one cow and one bull moose and just this week a big old black bear.
Appears the lack of traffic in northern NH has them up and moving.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
So far this summer I missed one cow and one bull moose and just this week a big old black bear.
Appears the lack of traffic in northern NH has them up and moving.
The black bear population is replacing the deer population in northern Wisconsin as the most frequently struck animal on the highway. I never had to deal with an injured black bear when I was still working, but I heard from some of my old buds that it isn't any fun. Bad enough trying to euthanize an injured deer that's still moving around in a populated area, let alone a black bear.
Rick H.

·
1,424 Posts
I just move those signs away from the areas I ride in to solve the problem.
Or you could put up a sign with a deer, circled and crossed out, and that would fix it, too.

·
1,424 Posts
My 10mm just got a chub.
460 S&W Magnum fan myself for portable protection against very large mammals, but a 10 will pack a lot better on a motorcycle and on a hip. I’ve thought about buying one, but never have. If I ever go ride Alaska, that’s not a bad idea.

·
Registered
127 Posts
460 S&W Magnum fan myself for portable protection against very large mammals, but a 10 will pack a lot better on a motorcycle and on a hip. I’ve thought about buying one, but never have. If I ever go ride Alaska, that’s not a bad idea.
if you do go to Alaska, just remember you need to go through Canada and our gun laws are a lot different:)

·
1,424 Posts
if you do go to Alaska, just remember you need to go through Canada and our gun laws are a lot different:)
As a bit of a gun nut, I know. That leaves fly, rent and ride, or do without in Canada, buy one in Alaska and have it shipped home after the trip. But I'll be honest, I'd fly and ride. There's no way I'm riding through rural Canada without a firearm. Y'all have a beautiful country I'd love to see more of, but not by bike; too many highly dangerous critters out in the boonies, just like AK.

·
KBiK
1,464 Posts
Had lots of close calls but have never hit a forest rat. They say you'll never see the one that you hit.

I love the way my Clearwater Ericas and Darlas strobe when I hit the 120dB Stebel horn.

For those riding to Alaska, I recommend taking bear spray as none of your firearms will be allowed across the Canadian border. Bear spray is legal to carry across as long as it is clearly labelled as for animal use.

All of the professional guides who I have worked with to walk around with Polar bears in the Arctic all carried shotguns with various loads. Only the game wardens carried a hand gun as defense against other humans.

·
KBiK
1,464 Posts
In Texas, we also have to worry about feral pigs. One of our toll roads, 130 that goes from south of Austin to I-10 near Seguin has an 85 mph speed limit. Unfortunately that area is notorious for feral pigs. The hogs are big enough to take down a semi-truck !

Reactions: Bust-A-Cap
21 - 40 of 40 Posts