BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It had been serviced (its third service) and there was a whining noise from the engine (probably other issues as well but as you know I am just the mouthpiece) but BMW stated that it needed full engine and gearbox replacement which they agreed to pay for - both parts and labour. That was at the beginning of October and apparently BMW are waiting for the parts to arrive in Germany but as of yesterday they confirm they don't even know if the parts will arrive by the end of April. The dealers have also been left in the dark

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have had major warranty issues with my GTL‘s, however I have to say my DealerBMW have been swift to resolve matters. In my view my Dealer has driven the whole process forward and I have nothing negative to say about them whatsoever, in reality they get 11/10 for Customer Service ......people seem much quicker to sound-off/complain versus delivering praise for customer service that goes beyond what they pay for.

My gripe, which I highlighted via my Dealer, is that BMW are solely responsible for what comes off the production line - I care not one jot which 3rd party suppliers supply which parts for BMW Motorcycle assembly ......I pay BMW for the end product and the buck stops there. My own clients in business don’t need to hear me hiding behind anyone else re any “issues”, they need (if it was me or my business) to front up/take responsibility/communicate/resolve matters.

Any unhappy customer‘s issues is potentially a can-of-worms until you know/appreciate all the facts. I do know this.... in my own particular case, I am a happy BMW Customer because of my Dealer, and then in-turn BMW .....if I had used any of my local dealers (based on my experience with them), my outcome would have been much less certain/satisfactory.

When a fault/problem is identified, and the Dealer/Manufacturer are involved, it’s all about how they deal with it, how they communicate. Neither have any problems quickly accepting a Customer’s money, all we ask is our payment/faith in the product is reciprocated. When it’s not, we have every right to be aggrieved, and not everyone is skilled at navigating their way to a solution, hence 3rd parties (in this case a Solicitor) can get involved.

Litigation in the UK is not as the US yet ......and that is good & bad ......however, that’s a whole different topic for a whole different forum.

Happy riding ......when your Season starts. My 2020 GTL is almost here!

·
Registered
677 Posts
sorry, didnt mean to cause any offence but assumed it would be of interest in any event as there is a safety recall which appears on the face of it to be quite serious
Hi Michael S , From my point of view, I am happy to answer your question to the best of my knowledge and the Recall/stop-sale issue with the gearbox. I ordered a new K1600 GTL bike back in late October the very next day I was told by my dealer, that there was a problem with delivery due to the stop sale and recall and if I was happy and wanted to wait for a fix BMW advised him that it could be December 2019 / January 2020 before they worked out what they needed to do to fix and overcome the issue, source the parts etc. to facilitate a fix. BMW announced the recall /fix was for K1600 bikes from 2016 through to current models that could be affected. Most of the parts and the special tools needed to do the job have not arrived at most of the dealerships throughout the world till around the 24th of January onwards. A total of 20,000 alleged bikes worldwide were affected by this around 900 in Australia. My bike was not delivered to the dealership or me, so BMW was supposed to do the fix after they got the parts. Then the bike turned up at the dealership about a week and a half ago. I bought the bike here in Australia, NSW and my dealership was told by BMW that the time of my purchase that they BMW Australia would be doing the fix but now close to 6 months on because they ( BMW Motorrad Australia) did not have the resources they expected the dealership to have them and to do the fix/repairs. To my way of thinking a bit wrong, but it is what it is I guess. I hope that helps you with some of your investigations. As for the engine side, I can not say or help.
Cheers
Geoff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks All - this is really helpful in showing us the current problems. I think our dealers would love to help but are powerless to do so and the buck has to stop with BMW. Contractually the dealership is on the hook but we can drag BMW in as manufacturers and the dealership can do this as well. We hope to hear back from BMW this week but it seems to be a large scale worldwide problem and unless BMW throw big money at it very quickly, I suspect that there will be hundreds of owners who just get left waiting for many months - maybe over a year - where they cannot use the bike and have no idea when the situation will be resolved. Nobody really wants to litigate as it may be good for lawyers like me, but doesn't help the owners when they have to lay out fees to get what they should have had in the first place. If BMW do't properly address the issues they will leave people with no choice.....let's hope they take a sensible view

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Hi, I am a solicitor acting for an owner of a 2 year old K1600GTL with 5000 miles on the clock. Various problems resulted in the bike being taken in to the dealer last October to have a new engine and gearbox at BMW's expense! Now, 5 months later, BMW cannot even confirm that they will have the parts and repairs completed by the end of April (which would be almost eight months). The vehicle safety recall in October (which stated that "a critical riding situation may not be ruled out") followed the bike being taken in to the main dealer. Has anyone had similar issues ?
Okay so you open stating your a "Solicitor" actin on behalf of the owner. You being with a legal firm, should idetify yourself properly right from the beginning since you're possibly going to use information or hold someone accountable for the responses you receive on a public forum.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
It seems like this is the perfect place to interject this little ditty:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi - actually I'm not looking to hold anyone accountable - I just wanted to get some information to assist my client who owns a K1600. That is why I said straight away that I am a solicitor

21 - 27 of 27 Posts