BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the differences between the exhaust systems for the two versions of same year model (2012)?

I was looking at one dealership's online parts catalog, and it lists different part numbers for the mufflers between the two versions.

Also, how much difference is there from say a 12 model to a 14 in terms of mufflers? I guess I can look to see if those numbers are different.

I might be in the market for used stock exhaust, and sometimes I see a left one and sometimes a right one; haven't seen a pair of them yet. one is typically for a gt and the other for gtl or even both are for gt.

Wouldn't a gt's mufflers bolt right up on the gtl?

I like the GPR's aftermarket exhaust, but those aren't in the budget for the foreseeable future. :surprise:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
GTL has chrome applications and is quieter than the GT. Other than that no differences. Mechanically all years and models are interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
As Vienna states the GTL has polished chrome covers where as th GT has brushed chrome covers plus the GT has a lower toned growl sound than the GTL.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Agree with all the above and in fact, the current model GT and GTL will also fit your bike. So no changes really except the above mentioned.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The top and bottom holes on the K16 exhausts are dummies and only the middle hole actually exhausts gases.

On the 2012 models the GT had a series of little holes in the top and bottom exhaust hole to give the GT a slightly more sporty sound - the GTL at the time didn't have these:

I think this has now stopped since the 2017 models?

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
The top and bottom holes on the K16 exhausts are dummies and only the middle hole actually exhausts gases.

On the 2012 models the GT had a series of little holes in the top and bottom exhaust hole to give the GT a slightly more sporty sound - the GTL at the time didn't have these:

I think this has now stopped since the 2017 models?

Cool catch, never seen it an thanks for sharing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts