BMW K1600 Forum banner

Different side case protection/ tip-over bars

226K views 931 replies 320 participants last post by  C 4 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have had some requests for the tip-over bars I made for my K16. I made these myself because the offerings out there are not visually appealing to me, too big for the purpose, and would interfere with the passengers legs and/or be an annoyance at least. I am posting to gauge interest in the initial run of 6 sets of these tip-over bars. 2 sets are spoken for, so 4 sets are available for pre-order. The kit will include the bars ready to bolt on, primed and painted (5 total coats), the hardware needed (BMW bolts, spacers, washers) and a basic installation guide. It’s very simple and quick to do. These bars will protect the expensive side cases in a garage tip over without the problem of interfering with the pillions legs while moving.
Touch up of the spray paint, if needed, will be easy. I used 2 coats of Rustoleum primer and then 3 coats Rustoleum Industrial flat black , easiest to touch up, on mine, but I can do any color they make if you let me know and as long as I can find it at Lowes or Home Depot. I have laid my bike over on them and they hold the weight and keep anything expensive from touching the ground. Bear in mind, I have the Wunder engine protection bars. I do think engine bars of any kind are necessary to protect the engine and the auxiliary LEDs if you have them. I am going to use a slightly thicker wall on the square tubing than used on mine. I blew a small hole in mine welding the thinner square to the thicker round. The thicker steel will alleviate any issue.
I don’t have a production line to do these so I will fit all of them to my bike and verify they fit right without any interference of the side case opening or the whole case being removed. I have started gathering supplies to start making these as I have 2 orders already and hope to have these within a few weeks. If you are interested or have any questions, let me know.
The initial run of these, ready to install, will be $250.00 plus shipping. Thank you

Go to Page 65+ for new photos.

Updated list and color:
Total with USPS flat rate box with insurance equals $272.00 Thank you. Tim

gunter1600 flat black, shipped 3-1-14
BrianNC flat black, shipping 3-8-14
Muchmore flat black, Shipped 3-1-14
dancogan flat black, Shipped 3-1-14
JC_Puckett flat black, Shipped 3-1-14
alstrickland55 flat black, shipped 3-8-14
thepenman flat black , shipped 3-8-14
garyculb semi-gloss, shipped 3-8-14
toolman57 flat black, Shipped 3-8-14
Bletz flat black , shipped 3-11-14
Iron Rey. Semi gloss,
CaptainMarko, flat black,
DanDiver, flat black,
Rush21122, flat black,
ColoRider, flat black,
racerjack,
Turlock,
scbadad,
When I get close to having yours done, I will PM you with a total and my paypal info.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
C4 & I have been in communication about these for a while. I am one of the 2 sets already spoken for. My wife would have trouble with the Wunder sets, as she is height challenged. Am looking forward to getting , & installing them, as we have a 10K, 8 week trip planned starting the last week of this May.

#6 ·
looks like it works perfect, do you have any pictures showing the bike sitting up so I can see how they look normally on the bike with the side cases

#12 ·
Ok got ya on the list. Thank you, 1 set left.

To all: I will be getting the bent tubing today and will get started on these right away.

#16 ·
Last set taken just before you. I will have some more steel ordered today and get you on the list. I will pm you as soon as I get it ordered and confirmed. Thank you.

#24 ·
Yes, that's what I have and what they are fitted to but I believe the GT and GTL are the same in this regard.

#25 ·
Update on progress. Ordered the BMW bolts, picked up primer and paint and made a jig for some of the cuts for length today. Will start cutting and fitting pipe and test fitting on my bike tomorrow after work. Thanks again.

#27 ·
Absolutely! Paypal is easiest. I'll send a pm to each as i near completion of that set with info, (make sure I have shipping info so I can calculate UPS for you). As soon as I get 1 or 2 made and check the fit, I can start getting them together a little faster. I am doing this outside of my regular job, so it will take me a little longer, but not too much. Luckily most of you guys are socked in with winter, Phoenix is year round riding! Thank you

#30 ·
Yes, I'm in put me on the list. i am in salt lake city, utah pm me when you are ready for a payment thanks

#32 · (Edited)
UpDated list and color, let me know if you want something different! Thank you
gunter1600 flat black
BrianNC flat black
Muchmore flat black
dancogan flat black
JC_Puckett flat black
alstrickland55 flat black
elpirata101 flat black
thepenman flat black
garyculb semi-gloss
toolman57 flat black
Bletz flat black
Iron Rey. Semi gloss

When I get close to having yours done, I will PM you with a total and my paypal info.

#34 ·
Since we are of like mind on this thread, please permit me a slight hijack. I have the OEM engine protection bars on mine, seriously considering the Wunderlich set (in black) thoughts?

#35 · (Edited)
Got ya on the list and I have the Wunders (see pics above, I looked and you can't see em, duh! ) and I think they give a bit more protection and look better. A couple different options on peg placement too.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.