BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
QUESTION ANSWERED!!!
The digital speed indicator is on the 2013's and above, not on the 2012 models.
Thank you KMCO Steve
Does anybody know how to display the speed on the readout panel on a 2012 BMW K1600 GT?
Salesman at Kissell Motorsports said it could be done but did not know how to do it.
Please and Thank you.
I prefer text messages,but whatever is easiest for you.
Larry
[email protected]
(585)739-0354

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Does anybody know how to display the speed on the readout panel on a 2012 BMW K1600 GT?
Salesman at Kissell Motorsports said it could be done but did not know how to do it.
Please and Thank you.
I prefer text messages,but whatever is easiest for you.
Larry
[email protected]
(585)739-0354
First, you have to make sure the radio is turned off. This is done on the left fairing.

Second, use wonder wheel and go to settings, then user, then speedo.

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
When you aren’t moving, use the menu button and the wonder wheel, and I believe it is under the User sub-menu...speedo logo or nothing. I can find it when on the bike but not as easy sitting upstairs on the iPad.

·
Registered
164 Posts
BMW really is stubborn about their displays! A new, modern TFT display is due. My other bike lets me see all kinds of info simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
For years I used the Nav unit for a digital speed display.

Press the menu button till you get to the Nav unit then press up and hold the diamond for a few seconds to set a shortcut Next time you start the bike just pres the diamond to go directly to the nav then push the scroll wheel to the right till the speedo comes up. Here's a video of a guy doing it on a GS but my way is easier.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
For years I used the Nav unit for a digital speed display.
Or you could just choose one of the main map screens that also displays configurable fields and set one field to Speed, and get it and the moving map at the same time with no extra button presses.

My other map screen fields are usually set to distance to next waypoint, distance to end of route, and arrival time at either waypoint or end of route, depending on how I'm feeling that day.

·
Premium Member
3,939 Posts
Or you could just choose one of the main map screens that also displays configurable fields and set one field to Speed, and get it and the moving map at the same time with no extra button presses.

Too small and I didn't use the map much anyway.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Except the red numbers are harder to read—exactly when you need to see them the most... :k16:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I don't understand for the life of me why they would show the radio station for a xsecs then switch to speed. I love my radio but love having digital speed since the numbers on the analog are just so small. It's just a software tweak. Ugh

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
I have a large digital read-out speedometer for my bicycle that is wireless and I've thought about trying it on my K1600. Maybe in a few weeks when it cools down a bit. Has anyone given that a try ? It would be constant and have about 9 other switchable functions.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1338059667?iid=132086156291
Aren't most of those driven by a wheel sensor and calibrated for a bike tire? You could force something like this to work but then you are just hanging something else off of the bike. Djfalkenstein and Meese wouldn't notice of course. If you are going that route, just stick your phone on a ram ball. The app I use (Scenic) has digital display for MPH, switches to red when you are over, a dedicated map, and it is closer to you so easier to read. The wunderlinq is another option but unfortunately requires a newer bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Those of you who cannot read the absolutely massive analogue speedo surely need to get your eyes tested (and mine is the 'impossible to read; 2012 model)

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Those of you who cannot read the absolutely massive analogue speedo surely need to get your eyes tested (and mine is the 'impossible to read; 2012 model)
I don't find the 2012 speedo hard to read, but it does no good when traveling between the US and Canada. Also, if you are timing any event (cannonball) I like to know at a glance that I am at or withing a km or so of a certain speed. Yes, I can read the analog gauge, and yes, I could put a mark on it (whiteout) to set my speed to avoid the kph/mph conversion and preset target speeds but its far more convenient to have a large digital display or in my case a phone with the digital display closer to you. The fact that the display has a map on it as well gives me a lot of information (upcoming corner) that the two separate displays (analog plus NAV) require two glances to achieve. Then there is the fact that the analog gauge is off by 4MPH or so. I assume the newer bikes digital display is off by the same amount unless they fixed that in more recent models.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I use the NAV's info page every time I go on it. Never skips it !!! That was smart design/layout to do. It is clearer to see at night time. I do not use the navigation at all. I am a WAZE guy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts