BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
Isn't it great that there are so many workarounds so that every fussy rider can come up with something that works for them? Shame on BMW that they can't figure out what thousands of riders want and design the bikes to suit all those wants and needs >:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
@Arizonajim, It is a shame and it is remarkable knowing how advance BMW is on all of the cars they make. If a car can pull out of a parking spot in an underground garage and also parks itself without even being in it, what is it an issue to apply some tech to the K? Not even as options !!! I will never understand that. It is more likely cost issue and bottom line final bike price to the public.

·
Premium Member
5,676 Posts
@Arizonajim, It is a shame and it is remarkable knowing how advance BMW is on all of the cars they make. If a car can pull out of a parking spot in an underground garage and also parks itself without even being in it, what is it an issue to apply some tech to the K? Not even as options !!! I will never understand that. It is more likely cost issue and bottom line final bike price to the public.
I enjoy the latest technology as much as the next guy but are we spoiled so much that we are upset that a vehicle doesn't offer every idea that the tech savvy comunnity can dream up?

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I have a large digital read-out speedometer for my bicycle that is wireless and I've thought about trying it on my K1600.
Lots of LD guys use bicycle speedometers.

Just calibrate it for the overall wheel diameter and you’re good to go.

Also, check the top speed capability of whatever speedo unit you want to use.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a large digital read-out speedometer for my bicycle that is wireless and I've thought about trying it on my K1600. Maybe in a few weeks when it cools down a bit. Has anyone given that a try ? It would be constant and have about 9 other switchable functions.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1338059667?iid=132086156291
I have installed many bicycles speedometers on my bicycles, but not on a motorcycle, mostly because they are almost always powered by a coin cell and generally not backlit.

I have, however, installed speedometers that are made specifically for motorcycle applications. Trail Tech is oriented more for dual sport and dirt/trail bikes, but they will work just fine on road bikes as well. I've got Trail Tech's Voyager GPS and Vapor on my dirt bikes. Koso makes some really nice meters and they OEM for some motorcycle/moped mfrs. They now have a speed sensor that is GPS-based and does not require typical wheel-mounted speed sensor. Although, the wheel sensors I've used weren't really all that difficult to install. I've replaced my SV1000S's factory dash with a Koso RX-2N and loved the visibility of it. For auxiliary speedometer like what we are talking about here for the K16, a smaller speedometer, like their XR-01 and EX-02 would work well. For speed calibration, you can just enter an estimated wheel circumference, but I usually make some additional adjustment by comparing the readout to a couple of GPS's.

My '14 K16GT has the digital speedo and I don't ever listen to the stock radio, so I'm good to go. Otherwise, I'd install one of the Koso speedo's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use my iPhone with a speedometer app. I mount it with an X grip and power it with the usb in the right side storage compartment. It can display MPH and KPH. Simple solution

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
They may have made a few improvements over the years and given it a facelift recently, but it is still a 2010 design. They could never make any money if they redesigned every vehicle for every new technology that comes out every year.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts