BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the DMAC unit and have a problem. When shifting from 1st to 2nd. If I miss 2nd and end up in Neutral I cannot get the trans into 2nd at all. I have to down shift to 1st and retry. At first I thought it was just a learning curve. After a week, I still have the same issue. I have noticed that this occurs when shifting below 3000 rpm. When I run the engine to above 4000 rpm the shift works perfectly. This however makes for some interesting riding in city traffic.

Any ideas? H E L P !!!

I emailed DMAC over a week ago with no response yet.

·
Registered
2013 GTL
2,242 Posts
I installed this on my 2013 and as reported and expected it needed just a little more effort compared to the original shifter arrangement, and if that's not the case for you I'd start by looking at the lever position on the splines and that the intermediate lever is free on its bushing.

Could you post photos of your install.

Don McCallum responded promptly to my emails.
DMAC short throw shifter

Short throw "SHIFT KIT" | BMW K1600 Forum

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed one on my 2016 GT and do not have that issue. Sounds like you are hitting a false neutral (falling between gears). I had a '77 Goldwing that would reliably do that if you did not make a very positive shift.
I did fine tune the shifter peg height a few tries to get it to my liking. My only issue with the short throw shifter is it's a bit problematic to find neutral while the bike is moving. Never had a false neutral issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
having ridden a GS for 50 miles, got back on my K1600 and within 2 miles missed a change in to second (even with pro assist ineffective rubbish not helping) and landed in a false neutral with some revs and a nasty noise you don't want...

when (and why) would you ever try to get neutral when riding?

·
Registered
124 Posts
EDIT:
the arm on the right is a fake artist impression - although the turnbuckle link does look to be that far back, the bend mid way is not there at all. The one on mine and all 2022 model year bikes looks more like the left side picture in relation to the shape of the lever itself

please could someone with an early bike, with its different gear lever give the length between centres of the pivot and the gear lever ?

without glasses or the best tools, I grabbed this on the 2017 on-wards models - the BM parts pic shows them in a different scale, and I don't see how the linkage doesn't foul the oil filter on early bike's if the main lever overall length is the same. The other end it has the same bit (unless its got the reverser). Nice site to swap units on lots of stuff Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else

168 millimeter = 6.6 two thousand year old roman units
Font Line Parallel Music Diagram

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Try reversing the position of the middle link. I had that exact problem, and noticed that the little lubrication nipples sticking out bind when installed in one direction, but not the other

Bob

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes I do. Had it sold and couldn't get it off. Stripped out head of last bolt. I gave up and still haven't gotten an extractor. Let me know if you want it and give me incentive to remove the bolt :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts