BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
It’s five weeks since the surgeon ripped half my guts out, chemo happily took most of my hair and muscle tone and left me a bed ridden shell... Three weeks since the a#$hole took the Jaguar and half our stuff and left me with the mortgage and the kids, but I felt healthy enough to take the B out today. :grin:

DTC was off, tyre pressures were good, Dynamic + Luggage + Road with empty panniers and, once I was sure all was good, the B got the thrashing I so very much needed... I had forgotten how much fun it really was... Do I really need more? (Not that I can afford it now...)

I can still scare myself, slide the corners, speed to levels that’ll just throw away my licence, but still hoon passed anything else on the road. Can I say I’ll stay stock and stay happy?

Back to work in a month, base sick pay until then but plenty of time to play... I ask again, is the Bren tune really worth the expenditure?
Sorry to hear of this Donna, but glad to hear your healing up. Yes you NEED the Bren tune or you will have a left pull, uneven tire wear, a loud reverse, a shift fork that will self destruct, wandering at speed, throttle so slow you'll drop the bike, water pump leak and switch gear failure. These bikes are horrible without the tune.:grin:

I'm sure the tune is great, but somehow mine is just fine. Once my brother gets his tune to load (lots of problems there, 3rd or fourth attempt with Bren) and I ride his I might change my mind. I'm sure a contest of some sort will ensue between bikes.>:)

·
Registered
597 Posts
Get well soon Donna

It's only a matter of time before the Jag breaks on him.
Umm, depends. If it's a Ford Jag it'll probably be fine. I pound the crap out of our 2010 XF 5.0 Supercharged and at almost 170K it's been perfect!>:)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
The one thing I always told my daughters was "All Men Are Pigs!" It's in our DNA >:)
As for the tune, Do you need it? YES It'll make your bike a much better bike in so many ways.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
"All Men Are Pigs!" It's in our DNA >:)
When I was in college, a dorm-mate went through a particularly bad breakup. In a fit of justified anger she went to the nearest white board, which happened to be on my door, and wrote "All men are pigs!"

I came home after a long, frustrating day in the Engineering lab and saw the declaration.

I simply crossed out All and wrote Most instead, then went to bed.

Later, her ex and I had an intense conversation, after which he slunk away with his tail between his legs. And I've had similar conversations with other complete ässholes over the years when it was deserved.

I'd offer to have the same conversation with Donna's ex, but I know she's well capable herself. :tb

·
Registered
19 Posts
It’s five weeks since the surgeon ripped half my guts out, chemo happily took most of my hair and muscle tone and left me a bed ridden shell... Three weeks since the a#$hole took the Jaguar and half our stuff and left me with the mortgage and the kids, but I felt healthy enough to take the B out today. :grin:

DTC was off, tyre pressures were good, Dynamic + Luggage + Road with empty panniers and, once I was sure all was good, the B got the thrashing I so very much needed... I had forgotten how much fun it really was... Do I really need more? (Not that I can afford it now...)

I can still scare myself, slide the corners, speed to levels that’ll just throw away my licence, but still hoon passed anything else on the road. Can I say I’ll stay stock and stay happy?

Back to work in a month, base sick pay until then but plenty of time to play... I ask again, is the Bren tune really worth the expenditure?
Wish you a quick recovery Donna. I have a friend that had the same procedure done last year. He is fully recovered, no sign of returning cancer, and riding his Harley all over the US now. Did change his outlook on life and is now working on his bucket list. It was a tough go for him those first couple months of recovery, due to a slight complication with a pin hole leak. Once they got that identified and repaired he recovered quickly.

Just rode my B after a Stage 2 upload yesterday for the first time. There will be varying opinions on here like always, but I'd definitely recommend doing it. I was pleasantly surprised with the increased performance of the B after the Stage 2 flash. Cheers!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I have the Stage 2 on my GT, can't ride without it. Just came back from two days on VIR with the 16, not one grand touring machine (RT's, K's, GS's,etc) could get by me. New set of Dunlop RS 3's for the appropriate tire melt, put the machine on rails. I ran 102 octane unleaded to keep the tune happy, amazing!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Donna,

I think you DO "need" it. But not now. Take care of yourself, and life first.

I'm having to re-learn to ride my bike, it's got so much more giddayap, and it's still a rush, as is.

And one last note I can't help, because it's a pet peeve of mine: While no one is perfect, and marriages fail for a variety of reasons, people of both sexes choose to leave their mates during a struggle with a horrible illness, and that's just an AWFUL thing for anyone to do. If ya can't stay together with someone, fine, but leaving someone in the middle of a fight with cancer is LOW. Pond scum LOW.

I've known several women who (OK, so maybe the men are a little more likely to be SOBs about this) stayed with a man they intended to divorce until he made it through the woods, in one case over 2 years. She had a new man she wanted to be with, and was adamant that if he wanted to be with her, he'd wait until she helped nurse her husband either back to health or he passed away. She would NOT leave in that condition. He lived, and was understandably crushed she was cheating on him, and I'm not stumping in favor of cheating, but he was still thankful she stayed and helped get him through it. They're one of those rare situations where they really are still friends.

Me thinks the smart gal wanted a chance at getting 100% of the assets instead of settling for 50% or less depending on the state.

Donna, save your pennies. And, really, what's the big diff between dynamic/road/rain/tune? This isn't a Honda PCX 150 that needs any help it can get. The bike is faster then anything else around, the few secs difference nobody notices anyway, just a matter of twisting the throttle more or less. The motor is stronger then any road conditions allow, unless you're on a race track and somebody is timin ya. This is all just b.s.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I feel your pain Donna dealing with cancer myself not too much fun but I don’t let it get to me try not to think about it What I have can’t be cut out multiple myeloma basically bone cancer but I’ve been through all the processes I am good right now. Maintenance chemo only to keep things in check. As far as the tune goes it was necessary for me to improve the bottom end everything else it’s just a plus but I wasn’t looking for more TopSpeed for say. So for me worth it if you can spare the coin but it’s not something you need to do it right away like others have said take care of yourself first

21 - 32 of 32 Posts