BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I don’t ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Short answer YES
as a result from combustion, contaiments collect in the oil, some of which are corrosive and if left in engine can and will effect the longivety of the engine
You say all your riding is short distance in which case your engine probably doesn't get warm enough to burn off the contaiments so a annual change is a good idea

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
BMW says to change the oil every 6,000 miles. For me, that means three or four oil changes a year, minimum. Who, here, makes it a year?

Reactions: capav8r and Marc11

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
BMW says to change the oil every 6,000 miles. For me, that means three or four oil changes a year, minimum. Who, here, makes it a year?
I was getting about a year from an oil change. I just retired and hope to be correcting that situation. In the past my riding buddies would get together every June, or July and take trip which lasted 1-2 weeks. For me it usually accounted for 5000-6000 miles in one to two week period. But, as pointed out here, you can't keep the oil in the bike for extended periods regardless of the mileage. I would think once a year change the oil even if you haven't done the recommended 6K miles.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Not me. I change mine every five thousand because I suck at math (even I can count by 5s), oil is cheap, and I like to tinker with my bike. Equates to 3 a year.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I agree with T6Pilot, I was in the auto service industry and have seen the results from contaminated oil being left in toooooo long.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Here in MN I change the oil at least yearly...especially before storing it for the Winter. As I understand it, oil picks up moisture and if it doesn't get burned off it sits and corrodes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cost of changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles vs cost of ruining your engine...not a hard decision.
I change mine every 3000 miles and at the end of the riding season so I'm ready to roll come Spring.
Think about changing the coolant as well when you mothball for the winter.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
This is a very interesting question. Most vehicle warranties require the oil to be changed at a a minimum annually. So you will void your warranty if you do not comply.

Vehicle manufacturers typically cut the recommended service interval mileage and time in half for severe service situations: when the engine is operated in very hot, very cold or dirty environments or when the engine is operated for frequent short trips.

Oils contain additives that neutralize acids, so that is not an issue. But (according to lots of readily available online information), oil exposed to atmospheric humidity likes to absorb water. Water in the oil (disolved, emuslified and free (condensed) water) is very harmful to the engine for myriads of reasons. The longer oil is exposed and the higher the humidity, the more water it will have in it. If you live in a desert, you can likely go longer in time between oil change intervals. If you live in a high humidity area, you probably need to be very wary about not changing oil frequently enough.

The manufacturers probably have picked one year as a maximum interval because it is easy to remember and is probably safe for most situations. If I lived in a very high humidity area of the country, I personally would probably change the oil at least twice a year. If you are a seasonal rider and the bike is parked and not ridden for long periods of the year, I would say it is very important to change the oil before you store the bike away. Letting wet, dirty oil set in an engine over the winter is probably going to cause corrosion in the engine and transmission resulting in a shorter life span. Change the oil and then run the engine up to operating temperature. This would flush all the remaining old oil out of the upper parts of the engine and coat those parts of the engine with clean, dry oil.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Cost of changing the oil and filter every 3000 miles vs cost of ruining your engine...not a hard decision.
I change mine every 3000 miles and at the end of the riding season so I'm ready to roll come Spring.
Think about changing the coolant as well when you mothball for the winter.
+1 ^

·
Registered
560 Posts
A good idea is to keep it changed once a year if not driven much oil is cheap.

·
Administrator
17,336 Posts
Article in the new Popular Mechanics says no.

I say yes, change it annually if you ride less than 3,000 to 6,000 miles. What's the harm, cost or effort, compared to the risk of poor performing oil?

·
Registered
587 Posts
This is the wrong bike to ride 5 miles down the road and back. Constantly going only short distances can damage the engine over time.

For example, some half-wit relatives of mine used to drive a new car that had been given to them 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the road every day to the mailbox because it was cold or they didn't feel like walking, they rarely ever used it for anything else. Whatever that excuse was, the end result after they passed on when it was time to get rid of it, was a vehicle with very little mileage and a trashed engine.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
The only way to know your oil condition for sure it to have the oil analyzed. Different operating procedures, storage and personal driving habits can change the condition of the oil and the needs to change it. There's also more things than can condemn the oil for use. I don't have a lot of history on the K1600 engines but will since I just bought one. Fuel dilution has recently become one of the primary reasons for flagging an oil to be changed. Some of the newer engine designs (direct injection) increases the likelihood of fuel dilution. The primary oil change indicators I watch for are TAN (total acid number), TBN (total base number), Fuel Dilution. These items do not include the possible silicon (dirt/dust) contamination oxidation, nitration and sulfation.

Once you have run a couple oil analysis with good results, you will have the ideal drain time based on your situation such as storage environment, short operating intervals, excessive idling etc.

·
International Man of Mystery
3,619 Posts
Before winter storage if the oil has more than anout 1000 km on it and during the season every 10.000 km.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,569 Posts
After 3 oil analysis I now change at 3500 miles and only use AMSOil Metric 5w40.

Duane

·
Registered
616 Posts
Article in the new Popular Mechanics says no.
So has BMW. Know how to get rid of most unnecessary preventative maintenance? Have the manufacturer pay for it!

When I bought my 2010 BMW Twin Turbo Z4 it came with all service covered by the factory for 5 years/ 50,000 miles. Oil was changed only when the car's computer said you needed it, and most common BMW required items just disappeared.

16,000 miles into it my computer still said everything was good with the oil and filter. It was only 2 years later, after so many customers complained, that they modified the manufacturer's REQUIREMENT to add "or once a year if the customer requests it".

Does any one think manufacturer car dealers change the oil for new or used vehicles on their lot every year? Placebo effect means everyone feels good but it probably does nothing. :wink:

Tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts