BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
No.....but you better!
Don't thinks so; I have many many more important things to worry about like the expiration date of my beer, the world running out of petroleum, and global warming. :grin:

I've heard of about as many beers going bad from exceeding shelf life as engines failing from old oil. All my vehicles are stored in a climate controlled environment and driven/ ridden year round; that said I'm all for you doing whatever makes you feel good!

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed, oil change every 3K mikes or a year is very beneficial for your engine parts.

NOW THE QUESTION IS:

Why can we do it at home and save lots of cash?

How to reset the clock and have a clean service message?

Any im3out is very welcome.
Please assist.

Thank you.
LCL

·
Mr.Fix It
7,560 Posts
Mostly placebo effect ... modern engine, modern oil, if engine is going to fail all the oil changes in the world won't make ANY difference. :grin:

Tom
Not necessarily, e.g. I do oil changes at 3500 miles based on the results and recommendations from 3 oil sample analysis done at 6K, 4.5K and 3K. Granted it may be overkill, but after loosing a motor (excessive oil usage) at 49K miles I'm gun shy.

Duane

Reactions: capav8r

·
Registered
616 Posts
Not necessarily, e.g.Granted it may be overkill, but after loosing a motor (excessive oil usage) at 49K miles I'm gun shy.

Duane
If you had sacrificed a chicken yearly and every 3500 miles it would have lasted at least 52.5K - 55.7K miles. :crying:

I'm 99.97% sure your excessive oil usage was not due to oil neglect (but I'm guessing here) so I'd stick with blaming the underkilled chicken God; I'm chicken shy.

·
Mr.Fix It
7,560 Posts
@TPadden, I'm not blaming anyone. Oil samples taken >3500 miles showed excessive oil break down and contamination. I'm betting you too would change your mind if you had to replace a motor... :)

Duane

·
Registered
35 Posts
Short trips when the engine does not fully reach operating temperature do more harm than long trips to the oil. Sufficient time at higher temperatures will help evaporate all moisture from the oil.
I even recall reading in a HD owner's manual that if you do short trips (like many bar hopping HD owners do) oil should be changed every 1500 miles, not the 5,000 miles in the normal schedule.
I would be more concerned with 3,000 miles of short trips over a year than 6,000 miles of highway over a one month period.
But synthetic oils hold their properties much better (and longer) than dino oil...

·
Outta This World
2,014 Posts
Short trips when the engine does not fully reach operating temperature do more harm than long trips to the oil. Sufficient time at higher temperatures will help evaporate all moisture from the oil.
I even recall reading in a HD owner's manual that if you do short trips (like many bar hopping HD owners do) oil should be changed every 1500 miles, not the 5,000 miles in the normal schedule.
I would be more concerned with 3,000 miles of short trips over a year than 6,000 miles of highway over a one month period.
But synthetic oils hold their properties much better (and longer) than dino oil...
Nothing says 'a company recognizing its audience' like that statement. Something tells me this is more about the engineering/technology in the engine than it is about riders habits but whatever, unless those bars are a block apart and that says more about the consumer than it does the bike.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts