BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the K 1600 B, however, there will be a recall coming...
Exactly one month after purchase and the day before I was leaving for a three day trip, my transmission would not downshift. I never had this happen on any bike, ever. I tried rocking it, rolling it, turning it off and on, and upshifting thinking it would free up and downshift. That last one was a mistake because I ended up in 6th without the ability to downshift. Had I stopped at 3rd or 4th I could have ridden it home.

As this is not about the BMW Roadside Assistance I will skip that whole fiasco.

The BMW dealer where my bike was towed never heard of this situation. They took off the cover and were able to free up the problem, reset the computer and it seemed to be fixed. He entered the problem in the BMW warranty system and was about to release the bike to me when BMW called him directly.

BMW told him they were aware of the problem, that it WILL happen again, that a fix is coming, and when available the parts will be shipped.

As it turns out the last thing I had done was use reverse to park it. If you turn off the engine and reverse has not completely disengaged it causes this problem. BMW would not say if it would only happen when using reverse, if it was only if you didn't disengage and shift to first prior to turning it off, if you turned it off while still in neutral...they only offered that it WILL happen again and a fix was coming.

My advice is don't use reverse until you hear from your BMW dealer about a fix!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My GTL did the same thing when it had 350mi. Since parts were not available until the end of October they replaced the bike.
The new new bike came with a cracked fuel tank. So much for quality.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Uh-oh, sounds like that "B" is competing with H-D in more ways than one. Got my eyeballs on one. Maybe I should wait a little bit.
Yea, that's probably a good idea. Buying the first run of anything is risky. And obviously it is not just a B issue. I'm not interested in a B, but I am beginning to like its look.
Chuck

Reactions: Geoff_3

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Uh-oh, sounds like that "B" is competing with H-D in more ways than one. Got my eyeballs on one. Maybe I should wait a little bit.
Yea, that's probably a good idea. Buying the first run of anything is risky. And obviously it is not just a B issue. I'm not interested in a B, but I am beginning to like its look.
Chuck
Other than the useless unneeded quick shifter and the bolt on reverse, it's essentially the same engine and drivetrain that's been available on the entire GT/GTL/B range for 7 years. How long do you propose we wait before it's not the first run??

·
International Man of Mystery
3,186 Posts
Used my reverse once and I had an uneasy feeling about the noise it made when shutting it off. Looks like my uneasiness was somewhat founded. Currently my bike is at BMW shop for a rattling noise from the clutch assembly and it appears the part is not available for 3weeks now. Maybe it is just a cover up for the missing reverse repair kit.

Reactions: Geoff_3 and Bflyer

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Used my reverse once and I had an uneasy feeling about the noise it made when shutting it off. Looks like my uneasiness was somewhat founded. Currently my bike is at BMW shop for a rattling noise from the clutch assembly and it appears the part is not available for 3weeks now. Maybe it is just a cover up for the missing reverse repair kit.
How many miles on your's? Please keep us posted. I'm putting a checklist together for my first service.

Thanks

·
3,186 Posts
How many miles on your's? Please keep us posted. I'm putting a checklist together for my first service.

Thanks
2nd service, some low frequency noise on the right side when cold, very subtle vibrations at idle which disappeared with the clutch disengaged. Would have ridden it without concern, but dealer insisted to ground it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
... it's essentially the same engine and drivetrain that's been available on the entire GT/GTL/B range for 7 years. How long do you propose we wait before it's not the first run??

- That's what I figured. New model but tried and true machine so far as I knew.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2nd service, some low frequency noise on the right side when cold, very subtle vibrations at idle which disappeared with the clutch disengaged. Would have ridden it without concern, but dealer insisted to ground it.
BMW wanted the dealer to keep mine as well. Dealer and I agreed it would be safer in my garage then waiting there for the parts for who knows how long. I rode it yesterday, not too far from home. Shifts flawlessly. I'm thinking so long as I do not use reverse I should be OK.

If reverse is the only issue I have, and BMW resolves it - I will continue to be happy I took a chance on a "new" model. This is by far the best bike I've owned in many ways. Its what I never knew I always wanted!

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
BMW wanted the dealer to keep mine as well. Dealer and I agreed it would be safer in my garage then waiting there for the parts for who knows how long. I rode it yesterday, not too far from home. Shifts flawlessly. I'm thinking so long as I do not use reverse I should be OK.

If reverse is the only issue I have, and BMW resolves it - I will continue to be happy I took a chance on a "new" model. This is by far the best bike I've owned in many ways. Its what I never knew I always wanted!
I hope this is the only issue you have and not the Fuel Gauge issue that has plagued many of us on the 2018's (search "fuel gauge" thread). Now I have to wonder if this "reverse issue" is relevant to my 2018 GTL.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I hope this is the only issue you have and not the Fuel Gauge issue that has plagued many of us on the 2018's (search "fuel gauge" thread). Now I have to wonder if this "reverse issue" is relevant to my 2018 GTL.
It's all going to be good. Just ride the crap out of it and enjoy every minute. Don't worry about the fuel gauge until the next service and be careful if reverse is needed. It will all work out one way or the other. These bikes are pretty nice. Beats the crap out of a lot of others and I love that 160 hsp!

Best!

M

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for the “Heads up” on the Reverse issues. I will add that I have owned my 2018 GTL since the 23rd of August. Due to the layout of my garage and driveway I have used Reverse at least once every day since the 23rd. No issues or unusual noises as of yet however I never stop the engine afterwards.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Other than the useless unneeded quick shifter and the bolt on reverse, it's essentially the same engine and drivetrain that's been available on the entire GT/GTL/B range for 7 years. How long do you propose we wait before it's not the first run??
His problem IS with reverse, and isn't this the first year? To answer the question, then, wait another year.

Reactions: JR3

·
3,186 Posts
As far as my bike is concerned I do not have a problem with reverse that I am aware of, but with a low frequency noise at idle when the engine is cold. Dealer thinks it is the the clutch basket bearing and is waiting for a replacement for 2 weeks already. I could not care less about the reverse.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Looking down at my boots and wondering when the fix will come?

hehe, JK, my boots are my reverse. Anywhos, hope it all gets straightened out, and when the K18 comes out, I may actually then have (mechanical) reverse. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
First gear cutoff?

I always have mine out of gear when I shut it down unless on an incline. Has anyone had a problem with out of gear shut down causing a problem, I have not read any reports if so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I always have mine out of gear when I shut it down unless on an incline. Has anyone had a problem with out of gear shut down causing a problem, I have not read any reports if so.

At the risk of being redundant - only if you have reverse, and just used reverse, and shut it off while in neutral, then, maybe, yes. That what they think happened in my case. Even though I was in Neutral the bike still thought it was in Reverse when turned back on nine hours later.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts