BMW K1600 Forum banner

181 - 186 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't speak for svfiat but in my case I almost always cover the clutch and brake levers and might pull the lever in reaction to bike movement, for example. I'll force myself to take fingers off the clutch lever while in reverse but always still cover the front brake.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'll force myself to take fingers off the clutch lever while in reverse but always still cover the front brake.
I rest my fingers on my clutch lever while in reverse, but never apply pulling force. I do always cover my front brake with the exception of while making tight turns at slow speeds. The front break lever can work quickly against you in these situations so I stay away from it, but I'll be sure to slightly drag through the rear break for better control.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I still use my reverse everytime I ride and it still works as the day I got the motorcycle. Have stalled the reverse out from either too much of an incline or getting the front out of a tire chock, works great no issues. Although I have not had the trans recall performed yet, but human error wouldn't necessarily be the bikes fault.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Reverse only works in neutral, so why would there be any reason touch the clutch lever in the first place? Just curious as to why you did this?
It was just a natural knee jerk reaction. Your rolling to a stop and what do you naturally do ................ pull in the clutch.

·
Registered
840 Posts
FWIW I typically use reverse to back up about 20 feet or so on a flat driveway into my garage. I ride most days pretty much year round, so that's hundreds of uses on the reverse with no problems. Having the transmission recall done didn't affect it on my 2018 GTL.

Maybe I'm just lucky. I had a failure of the lean angle sensor (replaced under warranty) and I had intermittent shift assist failure that was remedied by cleaning the ECU contacts. Other than that, the bike has been flawless for about 10k miles now.

Reactions: JohnS1955

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a very similar issue, BTW I did try it on very flat ground when I first had the recall done. It worked but was IMO slow but I don't use it much so who knows. Anyway I needed to use reverse on a trip and it barely if at all moved the bike and clattered while trying. When I got home I called the dealer which is 100 miles away and was told bring it in and we'll jump right on it so I headed to the shop but decided to try it again to be sure it wasn't going to make a fool out of me :D 1st try it backed up maybe a little slow IMO, 2nd try backed up ok, 3rd try it backed up a steep hill and didn't make a sound and seems to be fine. I called the dealer back to tell him I'll ride it a bit more to see what it does. Please let me know what you find with yours.
I just got back from a 4 day 1400 mile ride with no issues but trans whine sounded a little louder. BMW picked it up today to work on reverse. I'll let you know what they find.

181 - 186 of 186 Posts