BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to my esteemed K1600 experts! I say this because every question or problem I have ever had, with regard to the GTLE of course, has been resolved here! I own the 2014 model and I am happy with the radio and speakers. I don't want to run sound through my helmet and I don't want to mount my phone on the bike. I also don't want to move any audio cables on the bike. I envision a small device that can plug into the cable(s) already provided by BMW, in the right storage compartment. This small device would send the signal to my iPhone (or vise versa) so I can listen to my XM app through the bike stereo system. I found this:

But I don't know if this is what I am looking for? Am I trying to over simplify this? Seems like with all the electronic "gadgetry" out there, I could simply plug in something, and have the wonder wheel work and the rest of the system too. Please forgive me if this has already been discussed. I went looking under this Forum, but did not see where the focus was on using the radio and speakers as-is without any additional modifications...

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I have one of those on my 2019 GT, works perfectly. Plug and play in the right side compartment, connect to iPhone via Bluetooth, and the the onboard stereo system sees it as a usb device and all the wonder wheel functions work.

Hope it works for you too!

Ride safe,

Justin

·
Registered
166 Posts
Here's what I got till , I can get a holder that fits the nav hole.
I ran a 3.5 cable fm the pannier interface and velcroed it, to the side of the clutch reservoir.
Doesn't do the wonder wheel, but my thumb easily hits forward or rewind button easy.
BT5 seems to come a long way as volume is not impaired via Bluetooth connection.
That way i can change songs. Plus it can run nav or xm app audio.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
Here's what I got till , I can get a holder that fits the nav hole.
I ran a 3.5 cable fm the pannier interface and velcroed it, to the side of the clutch reservoir.
Doesn't do the wonder wheel, but my thumb easily hits forward or rewind button easy.
BT5 seems to come a long way as volume is not impaired via Bluetooth connection.
That way i can change songs. Plus it can run nav or xm app audio.
BT5 has added zero changes to audio that any modern phone uses, now or ever. In fact for most of the world, BT5 means nothing over BT 4.x. BT5 adds only IoT capabilities and lower power modes over BT 4.x because the goal was to get BT into new devices like thermostats, farm equipment, etc. by adding greater range and slower speed data modes. For audio the signal is also sent in its compressed form over any BT, that means that there is zero chance that the audio levels are different (it is copying the same data to either BT 4 or 5 depending on the phone and the device). What could be different is that a new device that has a BT 5 chip can implement leveling/normalizing/gain on decode but that is very device specific so if you have found a better device for BT (louder, cleaner, better range) then that should be something people should take note of as there seems to be a lot of struggling/confusion about how to add or improve audio capabilities.

·
Registered
166 Posts
^^^^^
Dunno.....i was never a fan of BT over audio, cuz it always was lowered in volume. That was years ago and maybe my Note 10 plus is helping it. I know phones make a difference cuz on my last bike when I temporarily hooked up an iPhone, the output was higher then my android phone and I even considered getting an old iPhone to just use it as a music player.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
^^^^^
Dunno.....i was never a fan of BT over audio, cuz it always was lowered in volume. That was years ago and maybe my Note 10 plus is helping it. I know phones make a difference cuz on my last bike when I temporarily hooked up an iPhone, the output was higher then my android phone and I even considered getting an old iPhone to just use it as a music player.
Whenever you connect Bluetooth devices they will do a handshake which decides the protocol that they will use to communicate. In the case of music, there is bandwidth (how many bits per second) and a codec (what type of compression to use). BT devices on both ends will negotiate to the highest common denominator in the quality stack. This means that the weaker of the two systems (from the perspective of codec/bandwidth) controls the quality of the connection. If for instance the phone you have supports LDAC (super high quality) and the device you are connecting to only supports SBC (far lower quality) you will get SBC regardless of whether or not your phone is capable of higher quality. If you notice a difference connecting a different phone to the same BT system then one of the phones was probably the bottleneck as it only supported older codecs. The other big differentiation is the software sitting on top of the BT chip. Newer devices are faster and can run more complex processing which means that your new device may have processed the audio slightly differently resulting in (?) improvements.

cheap phones will compromise the quality of the connection not because of the BT chipset (most likely) but because of the software and processor in the phone and also the people (software developers) implementing the technology. Apple has always had a bit more focus in general on quality but that doesn't mean that there aren't android phones which work very well (as good or better).

Here is a link to some more detail.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts