BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the final drive, of course. :)

my understanding, and please correct me if I’m wrong, is that the final drive difficulties from the K 1200 series I’ve been eliminated with the new design for the K 1600. So, it’s not clear to me whether super-special final drive lube is necessary. is the BMW labeled product super special, or is it just normal gear oil?
I was surprised to see that Red Line recommends its Shockproof fluid, because I thought that was for a bit different sort of application. Does anyone use this product? If so, how do you like it?

·
Mr.Fix It
8,759 Posts
How do they like it? Only reason to not like it would be final drive failure; e.g. pretty limited decision criteria.

Duane

·
Registered
2013 GTL
1,205 Posts
I have a bottle of the expensive Redline Shockproof Heavy that I used in my Harley gearbox, but don't have a use for it now seeing as the K1600 final drive uses regular gear oil, and haven't read a report of a failure, so that's what I stick with in my K1600.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don’t think the BMW final drive lube is “super special”; there are likely plenty of reasonable alternatives. I’ve been using the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 for the last 58k miles without any problems.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do they like it? Only reason to not like it would be final drive failure; e.g. pretty limited decision criteria.

Duane
Maybe, or maybe they found it louder than normal, or that it transmitted a whine at a particular speed more than an alternative they used, or that final drive temps were higher (or lower) than with alternatives. That feedback would be of interest to me, too.

Another thing I'm curious about is whether any Shockproof users have found a build-up inside the gear case. I'm not sure you'd relaly notice that unless you took it apart, or swept inside the case with a q-tip or something.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,759 Posts
@KL51212 You're assuming "...someone fount it louder than normal, etc". Never heard of a complaint WRT to final drive noise and/or any issue for that manner.

Duane

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you’re doing the assuming. If I was assuming, I wouldn’t ask. It seems you have no experience with the fluid in question, or don’t want to talk about it. That’s okay by me.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,759 Posts
You are correct in that I have no experience with that fluid. What I’m telling you is you’re suggesting a solution for something that is not a problem/issue.

Duane

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I understood what you said, and it is wrong. What I've told you is that you assume I'm suggesting something, when in fact I'm not. I stated my 'assumption' (that the final drive problems of the previous K bikes had been corrected, or in other words that they do NOT exist in the K16), asked whether that belief was correct or not. Then I asked some questions about the BMW fluid, and asked for experiences with a specific alternative fluid. None of that suggests a problem. It doesn't get any more straightforward or genuinely inquisitive than that.

If all you meant to say was that you think the BMW fluid ought to be good enough for the K16, please feel free to just say that. If you do, I'll probably then reply that I don't feel like paying anywhere from $35 - 50/quart (depending upon whether I buy by the 7-oz. bottle or by the quart) for what appears to me to be a re-branded GL-5 transmission fluid, and so I came here to ask about that and about a specific alternative which has been recommended to me but which seems a little odd for this application.

·
Administrator
17,705 Posts
I have used RedLine Shockproof in the past because it has ingredients which provide superior protection, and had rave reviews with the racing community.

Amsoil also has the same abuse protection.

The final drive needs GL-5. Never use any weight higher than 90 because it doesn't flow over the gears right, thus reducing lubrication.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have used RedLine Shockproof in the past because it has ingredients which provide superior protection, and had rave reviews with the racing community.

Amsoil also has the same abuse protection.

The final drive needs GL-5. Never use any weight higher than 90 because it doesn't flow over the gears right, thus reducing lubrication.

And I thought that I was OCD! LOL

·
International Man of Mystery
3,947 Posts
I stick with the BMW's recommendations for the K1600. If you need a special oil to keep a transmission alive, the designer of the gear system screwed up. BMW E30 series from the mid 80s had a rear differential that required a specially formulated gear oil which is hard to come by these days. I will have a closer look at Redline shockproof and see if it is close.

Reactions: KL51212

·
Administrator
17,705 Posts
I stick with the BMW's recommendations for the K1600.
That's good, as you are supporting the ever changing list of suppliers BMW decides to enter into a marketing program with. When the K1600 came to the market it was Castrol, now it is Shell, and the lubricants made from the once flared-off natural gas in Saudi Arabia. Lubricants which are almost synthetic.

I look to the specifications BMW engineers offer, and then find the best performing lubricants I can source locally.

Final drive failures used to be a significant issue for BMW with their GS offerings. A situation we had to monitor with felt temperature checks on the rear hub at gas stops. BMW designed the K1600 final drive much better, making the fear of failure unwarranted.

The bottom line for making certain that you are providing good lubrication is more the frequency of change. I focus on frequency and ASTM test results, as I find it entertaining AND comforting.

·
Mr.Fix It
8,759 Posts
@KL51212 , You can use Shockproof for the final drive. And you don't need and/or have to spend $35 for a quart of BMW oil. You'll find many/most of us use a quality 75w90 synthetic lube, I'm partial to AmsOil but there are several that meet the requirements.

Duane

Reactions: KL51212

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

@RL Lemke: I searched but did not find a UOA from when you used Shockproof. Is there one I missed?
Also, thanks for correcting me that it was the GS bikes rather than earlier K bikes with the final drive problems. I had thought that afflicted the K series.

I made my way to Moto Ghost today and picked up an air filter and various other things for some new-to-me maintenance. They’re a Motul shop, and while Motul has a pretty good reputation, I’ve never been a big fan. Plus, Motul’s product data sheets don’t list Brookfield viscosities for the gear oils at least, so I have no way to know whether they match well with BMW’s ‘original’ final drive fluid, the Castrol SAF-XO. In fact, I haven’t found hardly any ‘rear axle’ fluids that match well with what that fluid was. I only find a decent match in heavy-truck transmission fluids that are also GL-5, or some 80W90 ‘rear axle’ fluids.

So… I picked up a bottle of Castrol’s Syntrax LongLife to use. They don’t offer a similar product in N. America.

·
Administrator
17,705 Posts
@RL Lemke: I searched but did not find a UOA from when you used Shockproof. Is there one I missed?
I used Red Line in the 90's in Nevada before returning to Dallas, where I switched to Amsoil.

Like I indicated, I go with the best available locally.

The biggest difficulty is finding ASTM test results. Everyone has become more secretive.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s for sure!

Schaeffer Oil is the best I’ve come across for sharing data on product data sheets. No one else I’ve found comes close. Unfortunately I no longer have use for 5 to 55 gallon containers of lubes.
(-:

·
Registered
574 Posts
One thing you should know before making an evaluation - the early 2005+ Evo Paralever final drives had sealed bearings. The oil used was not a factor in the bearing failures. They were simply underdesigned for the load. Bearings were changed with the 2008 model, and a complete redesign followed. I have not heard of a single failure in a K1600. There were many in the 2005-2007 era, including mine. Use a good GL-5 hypoid gear oil, Castrol SAF-XO used to be specified, and rest easy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Use a good GL-5 hypoid gear oil, Castrol SAF-XO used to be specified, and rest easy.
Thanks for your reply.

It seems like nearly everyone is unconcerned with the lower-temp viscometrics of the fluid they use. Meaning, I see very few to none paying any attention to the low-temp dynamic (Brookfield) viscosity of the fluid they choose. Do you think that's accurate? If so, do you have any thoughts as to why not?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts