BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why might having the bike on the side stand most of the time affect oil consumption? Fact or fiction? Any personal experience with this?

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Fiction.
My bike spends a lot of time on the side stand and doesnt use oil.

Are you checking the oil per the instructions in the owners manual?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fiction.
My bike spends a lot of time on the side stand and doesnt use oil.

Are you checking the oil per the instructions in the owners manual?
Yes, I am following manual spot on------check after long ride, on centerstand. Bike has 12,500 miles and seems to be using 300-500ml per 3000miles. Was 500ml between 6500to 9500miles, now down to 300ml from 9500 to 12500miles. Burning less and less. Dealer said maybe I should keep on centerstand as much as possible as may burn slightly more on side stand, though not as much as older K-bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
Yes, I am following manual spot on------check after long ride, on centerstand. Bike has 12,500 miles and seems to be using 300-500ml per 3000miles. Was 500ml between 6500to 9500miles, now down to 300ml from 9500 to 12500miles. Burning less and less. Dealer said maybe I should keep on centerstand as much as possible as may burn slightly more on side stand, though not as much as older K-bikes.
Ride the piss out it, use the side stand and only worry about the oil if the indicator on the dash comes on. Mine quit using oil at about the 12k mark, now I dont even bother checking it.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Fiction, and a dealer that talks BS

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
The old bricks had an issues with oil entering the cylinders when parked on the side stand and they emitted a good blue plume of smoke when started. I think that was solved in the early days of the model life but the story still lingers and gets transmitted to newer bikes.

For K1600 pure nonsense

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I recommend not riding while on the side stand - will tend to go in circles... raise it first and balance the bike upright. (y)

Strangest oil thread ever - and this hasn't even really been winter!

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
should stall as you let the clutch out :)
I recommend not riding while on the side stand - will tend to go in circles... raise it first and balance the bike upright. (y)

Strangest oil thread ever - and this hasn't even really been winter!

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Details... details... why let details get in the way of fun?

(Actually, even with the clutch in, if the side stand is down as soon as I put it in gear the interlock cuts the engine)
V true

·
Registered
253 Posts
Dealer said maybe I should keep on centerstand as much as possible as may burn slightly more on side stand, though not as much as older K-bikes.
The ignorance displayed by some US dealers is quite astonishing. I'm not saying UK dealers are all perfect, but at least all the ones I've ever dealt with have a more than rudimentary understanding of their products.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The ignorance displayed by some US dealers is quite astonishing. I'm not saying UK dealers are all perfect, but at least all the ones I've ever dealt with have a more than rudimentary understanding of their products.
Oh, the salesmen in the US are selected for emotional comfort, chit chat, b.s. song and dance routine. See, health insurance doesn't cover therapists in the US, so the good ole boys seek comfort at their dealer for some communicative therapy when there isn't a damsel available to chase around the kitchen table.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
As others have stated there was a problem in the history of boxers (airheads and oil heads) and bricks (early K bikes). This was because of how the cylinders were horizontal and a left-side valve could potentially be open with the bike slanted on the side stand. Not true on the K now.

·
Registered
537 Posts
As others have stated there was a problem in the history of boxers (airheads and oil heads) and bricks (early K bikes). This was because of how the cylinders were horizontal and a left-side valve could potentially be open with the bike slanted on the side stand. Not true on the K now.
Yes, the older boxers would definitely blow blue smoke on cold start after being on their side stands. It wasn't ever a problem on my 2015 R1200R LC. I don't know if it was because of the engine design with overhead camshaft or the way the side stand kept the bike almost upright. That wasserboxer is a great engine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts