BMW K1600 Forum banner

Does side stand usage affect oil consumption k1600GT?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  justcharlie 
#1 ·
Why might having the bike on the side stand most of the time affect oil consumption? Fact or fiction? Any personal experience with this?

#4 ·
Fiction.
My bike spends a lot of time on the side stand and doesnt use oil.

Are you checking the oil per the instructions in the owners manual?
Yes, I am following manual spot on------check after long ride, on centerstand. Bike has 12,500 miles and seems to be using 300-500ml per 3000miles. Was 500ml between 6500to 9500miles, now down to 300ml from 9500 to 12500miles. Burning less and less. Dealer said maybe I should keep on centerstand as much as possible as may burn slightly more on side stand, though not as much as older K-bikes.

#8 ·
The old bricks had an issues with oil entering the cylinders when parked on the side stand and they emitted a good blue plume of smoke when started. I think that was solved in the early days of the model life but the story still lingers and gets transmitted to newer bikes.

For K1600 pure nonsense

#10 ·
should stall as you let the clutch out :)

#13 ·
Fiction.

Duane

#16 ·
As others have stated there was a problem in the history of boxers (airheads and oil heads) and bricks (early K bikes). This was because of how the cylinders were horizontal and a left-side valve could potentially be open with the bike slanted on the side stand. Not true on the K now.

Reactions: lclaycomb123
#18 ·
Yes, the older boxers would definitely blow blue smoke on cold start after being on their side stands. It wasn't ever a problem on my 2015 R1200R LC. I don't know if it was because of the engine design with overhead camshaft or the way the side stand kept the bike almost upright. That wasserboxer is a great engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.