BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m breaking quarantine last weekend and going for a ride and put a few hundred miles on the bike. As I’m riding around Edisto Beach (which was a fricken’ ghost town as compared to normal), I‘m monkeying around with the wonder wheel and other buttons on the handlebars that’s I don’t typically use.

Anyway, fast forward to early afternoon and I pass a Cracker Barrel. I figure I’ll get a late breakfast and ride back to a park I had just passed and have something to eat. I walk into the Cracker Barrel in my ‘stitch and it’s like I’m wearing a hazmat suit or something with the looks I get. I get some stuff to go and they bag it all up for me. I’m thinking I’ll put it in the trunk and hit the park. I come back and press the lock on the trunk and, lo and behold, the trunk doesn’t open. Hmm, that’s odd. I never lock it and it should pop right open. Well, no worries, I’ll just dig out the key and use the key. I keep the key in that little compartment on the left side. You know, the one that locks. Yep, that won’t open either. Dang, I’m a little confounded. Has there been an EMP strike while I was in the Cracker Barrel is my first thought? Well, maybe I need to start the bike. I set my food down in the parking lot and hit the master power switch. I hop on the bike and try to start it. Yep, starts right up. Ok, good, I’m thinking, no EMP and now I won’t get stuck here (although, if you gotta get stuck, a Cracker Barrel is a good place to be stuck). I figure I’ll get the key now so I can get in the trunk. I push in the lock and that compartment on the left side.

No joy. what the heck? So I sit there for a few minutes while my bacon and sausage is getting cold thinking through what did I do different on this trip? As my eyes flow across the dash, I think about what I was doing with the wonder wheel and exploring all of those options. Hmmm, no, nothing relative. Then I start looking at the buttons. Ohhhh.... yeah, that little one that looks like a key on the right side of the handlebars? Apparently that locks all of the locks on the bike. Well now I’m hoping I can press it again and it will unlock everything since, you know, I’ve only got the one key. Phwew. Yep, that solved the problem. I know, I know, first world problem.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
That's funny. All I got to say is RTFM.
Yep. RTFM.
He may have and just forgot. There are so many bells and whistles on our bikes I forget a lot of the stuff between rides too. So much that I took pictures of the most often used sequences and keep them on my phone for quick reference. Snaps of my SENA for example which also has a handlebar mounted remote. My Nav IV and VI are 2 more examples.

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
He may have and just forgot. There are so many bells and whistles on our bikes I forget a lot of the stuff between rides too. So much that I took pictures of the most often used sequences and keep them on my phone for quick reference. Snaps of my SENA for example which also has a handlebar mounted remote. My Nav IV and VI are 2 more examples.
The Rider Manual is available as a searchable PDF straight from the Mothership.

Enter digits 4, 5, 6, & 7 of your VIN into this form and it will spit out the exact manual for your bike in a downloadable PDF that is VERY handy to have on the road when strange things happen.

The last GTL I purchased used did not come with any of the books so this is all I have for reference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I keep my key in my jacket so. My version is I put the jacket in the Top box closed the lid then locked it by pushing the button . Relised my mistake panicked and rang a local locksmith. He said did you try pushing the button again I said no as the key is in the top box. That is why I'm ringing you. He said on the handle bar. I went oh **** and tried it it worked and he laughed down the phone . So your not the only one. Saftey in Numbers LOL. All this in front of my 21 yearold Daughter who has not let me forget it 6 months later.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do you not realise there is a world pandemic going on and people are dying because people keep moving around spreading the virus?
In the UK that journey is illegal.
Don’t you think you are being selfish?
I would love to go for a ride but don’t.
I think you best stay at home and read your manual and become better acquainted with your motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Do you not realise there is a world pandemic going on and people are dying because people keep moving around spreading the virus?
In the UK that journey is illegal.
Don’t you think you are being selfish?
I would love to go for a ride but don’t.
I think you best stay at home and read your manual and become better acquainted with your motorcycle.
Conditions are different everywhere, stop being a troll and mind you own business.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm so sick of this crap with people saying to stop riding. You are NOT putting anyone else at risk nor yourself. It is a social distance event. You are not near anybody when riding. And don't preach about the chance of an accident which in turn can force a hospital visit and subsequently result in exposure. Exercising and driving your car to the market during these times can also result in a hospital visit.

Cut the crap!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm so sick of this crap with people saying to stop riding. You are NOT putting anyone else at risk nor yourself. It is a social distance event. You are not near anybody when riding. And don't preach about the chance of an accident which in turn can force a hospital visit and subsequently result in exposure. Exercising and driving your car to the market during these times can also result in a hospital visit.

Cut the crap!
I appreciate geography is completely different in America to the UK and you have a lot more open spaces but a three hundred mile ride with a fuel stop and a stop at an eatery when it’s not essential! - this virus spreads like wildfire - last week a close friend of mine died (age 63) - you can’t see this enemy and it does not exclude motorcycle riders - 100 deaths so far in South Carolina may be a small number to the size of the population, thank god you are not in New York.
I won’t comment any further.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I knew that the GTL came with Hill Start assist, but mine is a late '16, and I was told by the unknowledgeable dealer that the feature started on '17s, along with reverse and gear shift assist.

A whole year after I owned the bike, I pulled the brake lever in extra hard on a hill in a church parking lot while starting to roll while I was changing my music choice in the glove box…and lo and behold! Whaddya know? That "H" actually meant something :oops: :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I appreciate geography is completely different in America to the UK and you have a lot more open spaces but a three hundred mile ride with a fuel stop and a stop at an eatery when it’s not essential! - this virus spreads like wildfire - last week a close friend of mine died (age 63) - you can’t see this enemy and it does not exclude motorcycle riders - 100 deaths so far in South Carolina may be a small number to the size of the population, thank god you are not in New York.
I won’t comment any further.
You should probably shut your computer down too....there are viruses that can be spread over the internet.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, Andy, I get your perspective, I really do. And I’m sorry that your pal has passed away.

Without sounding like a science luddite, I believe conditions are different in rural areas vs dense population centers. Does that mean the virus won’t make its way to my area? No, clearly, it’s already here. Yes, thank God I’m not in New York. I have a lot of friends there, some tested positive and ill.

I don’t believe a solo bike ride introduces risk, even with the take out brunch stop, especially when contrasted with the fact that the grocery stores all remain open. I’d wager to say that the grocery stores are open in the U.K. as well. So, yes, get your position. I can assure you that we’re all social distancing to a much greater degree than those in packed urban centers.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Danbrew,

I have liked some of the comments and I to have felt your pain. I have read the manual front to back being a pilot and mechanic its just my nature. I had a second hand 2014 manual until I was able to download my exact '15 Exclusive model. I re-read it again, yet I keep stumbling thru different items that I had forgotten from reading the manual and just not remembering it worked that way...

I also could not get the smooth hang of the hill start feature until another member said just release the clutch slowly and the brake will disengage. That is what he did while riding two up and worked good for him. Ill be Dxmn if that didn't beat all ..... all the fuss with ....(page 68) "To switch off Hill Start Control, pull brake lever 1 again." ....trying to disengage manually didn't do the system any justice at all.

So I agree with and to each their own. To Read or not to Read.... that will remain the question for the Thread.

Sory to hijack the but just cold not resist.

Andy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts