BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The surface of the Coronado Trail, AZ Hwy 191, is now so loose that about 25% of the length is downright dangerous. Like little marbles on top of pavement.

Arizona should be ashamed.

BTW: NM Hwy 180 has a lot of new asphalt and without traffic is a real delight.

·
Scammer Hammer
3,050 Posts
Oh, I know that is 100% true. they are to be avoided for weeks after done.

We call it tar and chip around here.

·
Q
5,478 Posts
Oh, I know that is 100% true. they are to be avoided for weeks after done.

We call it tar and chip around here.
I believe what RL is referring to is its old and coming up off the pavement.

·
Registered
331 Posts
They use that tar and chip/chip seal crap here in PA on some roads and when they first put it down it is highly dangerous for motorcycles. It wouldn't be to bad if they didn't rely on traffic to compact it and until it's compacted and excess gravel makes its way to the shoulder its dangerous.

·
Premium Member
2,501 Posts
"Chip and seal" is term around the midwest for resurfacing asphalt roads. Sometimes they grind the surface, sometimes not, and then spray the surface with asphaltic tar or similar binder and spread chat or chipped limestone screenings on top. Not all "chips" bond until ground in and remain loose and get scrubbed off or washed away. Rough surface once weathered in.

Reactions: Bigdawg

·
Q
5,478 Posts
When I was 18 my dad was working down in Farmington NM. He wanted me to ride his 83 HD Tour Glide down to him. My mom followed in the car for the return trip.

I rode it over over the 550 which unknown at the time to us had just been chip sealed. The rock was 4” deep with two tracks in it from where the cars and trucks had moved the rock away. It was like that from Ouray to the summit of Red Mountain Pass. You couldnt pass or take a normal line through a corner due to the rows of piled rock in the road. Let me tell you about pucker factor! Somehow I managed that big bike over the hill without issue. Wow that brings back memories!

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
It's been that way for the last two years I've ridden it. Mostly just the first 15 miles north of Morenci. Due to the color, the pea sized stuff in very hard to see. Having moved out of AZ, I'm glad to be done with their crappy roads.

·
Administrator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mostly just the first 15 miles north of Morenci.
Sadly, the crap is is now in numerous sections. Good to bad with only a road repair color change to indicate what may be a failing surface.

We rode it twice, using great caution in every change to loose rock top.

Even the dirt roads were more fun than the loose chip & seal.

Many of the old-timers here know Brent. He rode everything with me. My brother, who started with the forum with me as GT1, couldn't come. Dean was going to come, from his new NM location, but didn't. Anyway, we rode a lot of roads I hadn't tried yet. Some fun, others were box checkers.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
Glad to hear you and Brent are still out there tearing things up. :)

Reactions: RL Lemke

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
As soon as the infrastructure bill gets passed all the roads will be in great shape in no time. NOT

·
Administrator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also rode AZ 366 and found some very loose chip & seal too. GREAT road but there will be traffic and zero legal passes.

·
Administrator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a lot of roads built, and have done so for decades. So, I have a feel for what it takes to do things right. Chip & seal is the lowest budget means to resurface a roadway. One where the low bidder has ample opportunity to cut back on the expensive part of this resurfacing, that being the sealant. The "tar" that is supposed to permanently bind the crushed stone to the road surface. While this half-assed resurfacing is cheap, you get less than what you pay for, 9 times out of 10. What anyone with two wheels gets is a dangerous surface, sooner than later.

In Arkansas and Texas I see where they do this with 3/4" crushed limestone. A disastrous two wheel option. There is no amount of sealant that will bind that stone to the subsurface.

While many may blissfully charge ahead on these degraded surfaces and make it through fine, I see probable pain and back way off on speed and choose my line very carefully.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
The curve where I put the red dot is where I went over the edge in Arizona on the 191. While I was in too hot the main problem was the chip seal. The bike was leaned over but the wheels gave out and it slid over the edge. I also went over but didn't get hurt because of the Kevlar suit I had on. It was my second and the best 1600 I had.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Good ole Chip Seal and Tar Snakes. Once the Chip Seal finally gets ridable, time to lay in the tar snakes...

Reactions: RL Lemke

·
Registered
283 Posts
Ugh. Thanks for the heads up RL. I was planning a run up the 666 here soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts