BMW K1600 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On May 4th about 2pm, at a gas station, in Marshall (where is that?) Arkansas I put my bike on the center stand so I could spin the rear wheel to see if I could find out what was causing a vibration that was quickly getting worse. At that time I was just under 153K miles on my bike. We were on a day ride enjoying some of Arkansas's roads. I had about a 50 mile time period that I noticed there was a vibration when starting at a low speed and accelerating but kind of went away at highway speeds and accelerating. Very curious. Just a few miles prior to getting to Marshall, along with the vibration, I smelled burning rubber but the smell went away after a few minutes and my brother Kevin, who was just in front of me, did not smell rubber burning. We even stopped once to wait for one of our guys and I checked the bike over, mostly concentrating on the tires and front end. Looking back, that was a real DUH moment. Well, it turns out that the burning rubber smell was the rear boot on the driveshaft housing getting chewed up by a wobbly driveshaft. And it was pretty easy to see the problem when the boot isn't obstructing the view. Two of the four rear universal joint bearings/ caps were missing. After the initial shock of realizing what I was looking at the first thing that occurred to me is that Arkansas doesn't have a BMW Motorcycle dealership. I'll be honest, I sort of got stuck in that thought loop while trying to think through my options. I was with 5 other people and thanks to them all, things started falling into place. Brother Jim (Arizona Jim) sent a conversation (message) to Dswatz83 (Derek Swartz) who has been parting out his K1600 and asked if he still had his driveshaft for sale. Jim also contacted Duane (Gunnert) and Duane had a spare driveshaft that he could send next day air to an address of my choice. Other than the next day air fee, all Duane wanted was for me to replace the driveshaft but not to worry about how soon that would be. Derek got back to Jim, at about this time, to say he still had his driveshaft for sale. I decided to take Duane up on his offer of sending his driveshaft next day air, bought Derek’s driveshaft and had him send that one to Duane. I chose this route because, at that time, I really didn’t know Derek but I know Duane and what he's capable of. We were working on the how and where to haul my bike but when those tumblers fell into place I was riding my bike by 3:30pm the next day May 5th. Amazing.

There are so many ways this situation could have been much worse than what it was. I truly appreciate all those involved, in particular God above who was watching over me. When I took the driveshaft out, it fell apart. The what ifs are endless. But, I was broke down in a safe place, Jim, brother Kevin and another friend stayed with me until a friend came later that day with a uHaul trailer to get me back to where we were staying in Mountain View AR and we had a covered picnic table area that was a perfect bike shop as it basically rained the whole next day. There's no special tools to remove the driveshaft. Between Jim, a friend and I we had more than enough tools to pull it apart, clean up the residue left by the expired driveshaft and put it back together again. I waited until the tracking information was looking favorable (May 5th) to getting the part on that day before I started to take it apart. The picture with the driveshaft still in place was at 8:39am and the 2 piece driveshaft pictures were at 9:03am. I was not trying to be quick about it either. Sweet. While waiting for the UPS truck I did take my time making sure I got everything cleaned up inside the driveshaft housing and the final drive area. Duanes' driveshaft was in my hot little hands by 2:15pm. Jim even went out of his way to find the spiffy fire engine red duct tape I used for a makeshift rear boot. Bless his heart!

Sleeve Collar Tints and shades Automotive exterior Auto part
Door Wood Household hardware Gas Fixture
Door Wood Sculpture Fixture Door handle
Wood Road surface Gas Tints and shades Fence
Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Derek came through with flying colors and Derek’s driveshaft is now Duane’s. Derek also sent both front and rear driveshaft boots to my house and they were waiting for me when I got home May 12th. Derek was very fair in his pricing and I really appreciate that!
A new driveshaft, if available, is just under $1500. I spent a little over $500 between paying for UPS next day air and replacing Duane’s (now my) driveshaft and boots. No complaints from me.

Like I've mentioned, many helped get me going again but brother Jim was instrumental in locating the driveshafts and his resourcefulness really did save my bacon! Thank you bro!! And for sure Duane, you da man!! My PayPal account wasn't working on my phone but both Jim and Duane took care of the expenditures until I got home and could use my laptop to settle up. Awesome stress reliever! The others aren't members of this forum but all of them were instrumental in helping me out. Some of you from the STOC board may know my brother Kevin56 (Kevin) from Wisconsin and Bug Dr. (Mike) who lives in Russelville AR. Kevin helped a bunch before, during and after the problem. When we were in Marshall I called Mike for help in hauling my bike. It turns out he was heading home (in his Tacoma truck) from a trip and was just coming into Conway, about an hour or so straight south of Marshall instead of farther away in Russelville. One of the guys on the ride, Frank, helped locate a uHaul store in Conway that had a trailer, I arranged the pick-up, Mike went over, picked up the trailer and headed up to Marshall. Mountain View is about 40 miles from Marshall so it wasn't too bad for him to take me and the bike there before heading home to Russelville. We had made arrangements to drop off the trailer in Russelville instead having to go back to Conway first. Thank you Mike!! To back up a little, I first called Mike before I knew if I could even get a driveshaft and wanted to know if he could trailer my bike to his house and keep it there until I could figure out how to get it fixed or make arrangements to haul it up to my house in Kansas City. He said we could do that but finding the driveshafts changed that scenario. Thanks Mike for your willingness for me to screw up your previous plans!

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There is something about the driveshaft problem worth mentioning. I had about 150.8K on my bike after I went from Kansas City to Jackson TN at the start of my ride to TTD, April 25th. I met brother Jim, John (JohnS1955) and Tom (Thomas) there that evening. John and Tom met up with Jim in Paulden AZ and did BB 1500 on the way to Jackson. I was at the Comfort Inn in Jackson first and got permission to leave my bike under the overhang at the hotel we were staying at. I was parking my bike and was creeping into place using my clutch to control the slow speed and thought I heard some driveshaft sounds at that time. I put the bike up on the center stand, put it in 1st gear and ran it at a slow speed while putting my fingers on the driveshaft housing. I could feel vibrations that I didn't think should be there. After Jim, John and Tom got there I mentioned this to them. Jim put his bike up on his center stand and put it in 1st gear to duplicate what I did. He had 66K miles on his bike and his bike essentially sounded and felt just like mine. I have to admit I was pretty anxious about a possible problem rearing it's ugly little head 500 miles from home at the start of a 2 1/2 week trip. After that I never heard or felt anything out of the ordinary until about 2000 miles later. It could have been an early warning but you would have to pull the driveshaft out to properly inspect it and even then I'm not sure if the universal joint bearings would have been loose enough to notice. BTW when I did pull the driveshaft out, the bearings/ caps of the front universal joint still looked and felt fine.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The man up above was surely looking over your shoulder Steve. How lucky you are to have a good family , friends & K16 forum buddies just when you needed them. A lot of wisdom came from a bunch of ole grey hairs.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Steve, I'm so glad everything worked out for you. Sorry your bike broke, though. You got by cheap esp on the overnight shipping. I sent something to my son overnight on a Friday and he didn't get it until the following Wednesday. I went down to get a refund on the shipping and they refused, no matter how nice or how upset with them I got after about half hour of arguing with them. My wife went down the next day and they politely wrote her a check for the full amount of shipping, which was almost 100usd. Strange how women have such an influence on people like that. Glad you didn't have the same experience. Best. Darryl

Reactions: amorley

·
Premium Member
3,256 Posts
I’m glad to hear it worked out!! Amen.

·
KBiK
2,246 Posts
True friends deliver.

Enough said.

(PS - Steve, maybe you should now rest a bit so KBiK can catch up to your 150K ! )

Reactions: JohnS1955
1 - 10 of 10 Posts