BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I took my Top case back to the dealership to allow them to take it back to the paint shop they used as the finish was crap along with not going over the edge of the plastic with paint as you should. This repair has turned out to be like a boiled lolly that won't go away. Maybe I am a fussy old fart but I expect the bike to be as new. After all, 99.9% of the parts have taken over 5 months to get here then the painter the bike shop used is hopeless. If I never had show cars in my past years I may not be so fussy to have a finish that is close to or better than the factory finish.
While I was at the dealership they told me the long-awaited wind deflector was there, great news I thought. Well not so great after what is now 6 months waiting on that and one other part they ordered or were sent the wrong side. I will get there but I am really starting to hate this bloody long-winded saga along with chacing every part etc. lol I have to admit the bike looks great without the Topcase but the convenience of having a Topcase out weights the appearance with the exception of the dirt on the bike. So next week both Trevor from Tamworth and I are getting our Sheepskin seat covers made. All we need to do then is stay away from randy Kiwiws lol. before anyone says anything my mate is a Kiwi and loves sheep with or without skin.
IMG_0046.jpeg
IMG_0043.jpeg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I took my Top case back to the dealership to allow them to take it back to the paint shop they used as the finish was crap along with not going over the edge of the plastic with paint as you should. This repair has turned out to be like a boiled lolly that won't go away. Maybe I am a fussy old fart but I expect the bike to be as new. After all, 99.9% of the parts have taken over 5 months to get here then the painter the bike shop used is hopeless. If I never had show cars in my past years I may not be so fussy to have a finish that is close to or better than the factory finish.
While I was at the dealership they told me the long-awaited wind deflector was there, great news I thought. Well not so great after what is now 6 months waiting on that and one other part they ordered or were sent the wrong side. I will get there but I am really starting to hate this bloody long-winded saga along with chacing every part etc. lol I have to admit the bike looks great without the Topcase but the convenience of having a Topcase out weights the appearance with the exception of the dirt on the bike. So next week both Trevor from Tamworth and I are getting our Sheepskin seat covers made. All we need to do then is stay away from randy Kiwiws lol. before anyone says anything my mate is a Kiwi and loves sheep with or without skin.
View attachment 148694 View attachment 148695
I happen to be a Kiwi as well Geoff :cool:

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: Magoo222

·
Registered
47 Posts
View attachment 148694 View attachment 148695
That "White" surely does look "Nice" Geoff - As much as I love my "Pollux Metallic" I'm pretty sure that I'd go the colour next time - if there is one....

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That "White" surely does look "Nice" Geoff - As much as I love my "Pollux Metallic" I'm pretty sure that I'd go the colour next time - if there is one....
Paul, It was dirty when I took that photo today, but I have to admit I love my white bikes and cars. They don't show the dirt as much as a darker colour.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Registered
100 Posts
hi geoff i remember when you 1st said parts were having to be painted i did have my concerns that would get it right as it is never the same as factory
it's always dependent on whether he or she had a good day
unforterly parts are not coming pre painted any more
i would ask them to put in writing how long the paint work is guaranteed to last
as new parts pre painted would be 1 to 2 years
just a thought
hope it gets sorted

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Hey Geoff, suggestion as you are very picky and have been through the **** on this operation. Perhaps you are in too deep already but over here I had to get a the large upper side panel painted (where BMW roundel is housed, etc.) on my 2018 Mars Red Metallic. And I did have major concerns it would never be the same as factory. The simple solution, yes it cost more $$ (insurance covered), was to take all the unpainted parts to a BMW car dealership. They have ALL BMW paint codes, to include motorcycles, here in CA. Not sure about your turf. Anyway, the final result was highly acceptable; it was the factory paint code with work completed by a BMW trained paint tech. Great work done by great staff. If that is not an option, I sure hope your paint guy knows how to obtain the BMW paint codes. I made a lot of phone calls before I had the work done, some of the reputable places (I think Colorbrite?? was one) said they did not have the proper codes, etc., could not get them...blah blah blah.

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi geoff i remember when you 1st said parts were having to be painted i did have my concerns that would get it right as it is never the same as factory
it's always dependent on whether he or she had a good day
unforterly parts are not coming pre painted any more
i would ask them to put in writing how long the paint work is guaranteed to last
as new parts pre painted would be 1 to 2 years
just a thought
hope it gets sorted
It was more concern about not taking the paint over the edge as for the colour matching it was good. I have a mate that custom painted my Victory crossroads and he understood the need to take paint over edges of bikes not just to the edge. Because the dealership was doing the repair I had no choice who painted the parts, let alone know who was doing it. That was until I quested the crappy finish. If I knew they were so bad I would have insisted my mate did the work and it would have been perfect the first time around. I have spoken to the owner of the dealership and voiced my concerns. I think he may be changing paint shops after that conversation and I am hoping my mate gets more work, not that he needs it as he has so many repeat customers that recommend his work.

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geoff, I don't blame you one bit for being particular about your bike. Good luck with getting it back the way you want and expect.
I went over to chat with the dealer principal this morning to show him photos of myself after waiting 6 months now and he told me he knew I was a hard bugger but had no idea I had turned to stone. :cool: I explained that waiting this long I have even had the National trust following me to slap a heritage order on my facade. I understand things happen but honestly, I am seriously thinking I should just give up and sell the bike back to him. If I do that there really is no other bike I would want with the exception of another Indian Roadmaster or Challenger, but then they are rough compared to the BMW.
I am going to post 2 photos of myself and how hard, I have become waiting to get the bike finished.

IMG_0059.jpeg
IMG_0058.jpeg

Reactions: RDeweger

·
Registered
Waiting for my K1600 B
64 Posts
I went over to chat with the dealer principal this morning to show him photos of myself after waiting 6 months now and he told me he knew I was a hard bugger but had no idea I had turned to stone. :cool: I explained that waiting this long I have even had the National trust following me to slap a heritage order on my facade. I understand things happen but honestly, I am seriously thinking I should just give up and sell the bike back to him. If I do that there really is no other bike I would want with the exception of another Indian Roadmaster or Challenger, but then they are rough compared to the BMW.
I am going to post 2 photos of myself and how hard, I have become waiting to get the bike finished.

View attachment 148743 View attachment 148744
You must have your seat set very low, I thought you were taller

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You must have your seat set very low, I thought you were taller
I have always been vertically challenged. Really I am getting the Lambswool seat cover done on Monday for myself and Trevor from Tamworth. If I were only having mine made I think I might have said goodbye to my bike today. After our discussion I agreed to think about it and what I wanted to do. Maybe I just get out and go for long ride on Tuesday to see if I can get over this crap as I am so over fighting for everything to be done, waiting 5 months for the wind deflector to come, and then it is the wrong side was the straw that broke me. :cry::unsure: I know if I sell my bike I will regret it, then I can't really see myself buying another one again.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hang on in there Geoff - after your accident repair delays & eye problems, you need a few days out riding the K16, just to get your mojo back.

·
Upside Down
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hang on in there Geoff - after your accident repair delays & eye problems, you need a few days out riding the K16, just to get your mojo back.
You are correct in fact I thought I might do this ride on Wednesday and might be able to catch up with 2 of the forum members from the upper Hunter Valley while I am having a break at Tamworth ( Australia's country music capital. ) It might be a nice way to get familiar with the new Lambswool seat cover I am having made on Monday. When I was chatting with my dealership while exploring options he suggested take a Triumph T120 for a few days to see if I would like one rather than just sell my bike. They are a great bike with lots of power but still a naked bike that I have not owned for years and not interested in owning a naked bike regardless of how good they may be. Once I go for this ride I am sure I am going to wonder why I even thought about selling the GTL. I know how good they really are and just need to feel the power and handling again without thinking of parts that are not going to appear out of thin air.
IMG_0061.jpeg
IMG_0062.jpeg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts