BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I travel a lot for work and went into a local shop in VA to get a set of tires and he had $75 rebate forms good until the end of August for a set of Dunlap RS III's. You can get an additional $25 rebate if you schedule ANY other service at the same time.

Hopefully this will help someone...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks for the post Daniel. Sometimes 'We' miss a post, new to the forum or maybe just need a reminder before 'We' miss out on some savings.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Decent tires, but only got 7,500 miles on the first set with 1/32nd of an inch left on them. Got about 1,000 miles on my second set now. We will see. If not any better, I will be putting on something else next time. Good even wear and sticks well, but not so great of longevity.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I seem to remember that post as well with the rebate ending at the end of June. I am just pointing out the dealer I was at had rebate forms that run from July 1 thru Aug 31 2018 so there's another 2 months of savings.

Yea, we know... It's been posted since the rebate began.

Duane

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Decent tires, but only got 7,500 miles on the first set with 1/32nd of an inch left on them. Got about 1,000 miles on my second set now. We will see. If not any better, I will be putting on something else next time. Good even wear and sticks well, but not so great of longevity.

So your willing to give up some grip so the tire lasts longer? Try Avon tires.

·
Premium Member
6,649 Posts
If you find another tire that gets better mileage please post; BTW it won't be Metzlers, Pirellis, or Michelins..

Duane

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you find another tire that gets better mileage please post; BTW it won't be Metzlers, Pirellis, or Michelins..

Duane

Had a couple sets of PR3's that did slightly better than the Roadsmarts, but cant hardly get them anymore. I agree with you Duane, the PR4's is less of a tire as far as mileage and grip. I wont put them back on again. Not sure what other options are for anything better than the Roadsmart 3 at this point, so.......

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went with Avon on my Bagger, the tires that came on it only got 5210, I have 2100 on the Avon Spirit tires show no flat spot as of yet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just had my dealer put on the Dunlop RS III's at 6K mile service.

When I rode it home I noticed from the online tire pressure monitor the dealer only inflated to about 38 psi front and back. I was accustomed to riding the stock tires at the recommended 42 psi front & back.

Dunlop recommends 42 psi and that's what I'm inclined to do - 42 psi cold.

What do you all do as far as tire pressure for these tires?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just had my dealer put on the Dunlop RS III's at 6K mile service.

When I rode it home I noticed from the online tire pressure monitor the dealer only inflated to about 38 psi front and back. I was accustomed to riding the stock tires at the recommended 42 psi front & back.

Dunlop recommends 42 psi and that's what I'm inclined to do - 42 psi cold.

What do you all do as far as tire pressure for these tires?
DO NOT rely on TPM for accurate tire pressures. You can spend several hours on the forum reading up on this subject. My TPM consistently reads 4 to 6 lbs below actual tire pressure. Get yourself a good tire gauge and use TPMs for monitoring of sudden pressure changes or maybe slow leak.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
7,500 miles on the same set of tires on a K1600 and your complaining?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I have a Jaco tire gauge. I confirmed its readings with another like styled gauge that my neighbor has. I was concerned because my TPM reads were about 5-6 psi different. Now I know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I put 4100 miles on a set in ten days recently. I took the front in to check the balance when I got back because ever since I switched to the RSIIIs (I’m on my second front) I have had a front end vibration above about 90mph.

When I took it to be balanced the mechanic pointed out to me that it was cupped. He said it’s probably due to incorrect pressure. I told him that was not the case because I’m fanatical about monitoring tire pressures and I run them at 42/42.

I’ve only done a very short ride since he rebalanced it (the balance was a little off). It does seem to be noticeable better, but I really need to ride it more to know. I frequently see over 100mph, but it takes a longer ride to see it enough to know. I know a dealer will not test for a problem at those speeds. By my theory is that if I feel it at 100 it’s still going to effect it at legal speeds even if I don’t feel it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yesterday I put about 250 miles on my new RS III's leaving Denver through Granby, Trail Ridge Road and 36/93 back to Denver. Ran the tires at 42 psi cold. I was very happy with the way the bike handled at speed (85 mph) and through the curves. I may have replaced the stock tires a little early but I'm glad I did.

By the way, BMW of Denver sold me the RS III's and installed for $400 while I had the bike in for service. Due to the additional service I get a $100 rebate. I think that's a very reasonable transaction.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Had a set of these Dunlops put on at the BMWMOA rally in Des Moines this month by BAK. Put close to 2,000 miles on them touring the west. Worst motorcycle tires I ever had, and I have owned a lot. Front end absolutely unstable at 80-85 mph. Feel the road on these more than I do on my Harley Road Glide Ultra. Stopped at Kansas City BMW dealer yesterday. Service manager said these tires were not designed for the weight of the K1600GTL. Said front tire will probably be worn out by the time I return to FL.

·
Premium Member
6,649 Posts
@mcrider, my first inclination is you didn't have Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs installed... But I'll assume you did. If a dealer told you Dunlop RoadSmart III tires were not made for a K1600 he's an idiot. If you come by VA on the way home I'll gladly take the used Dunlops off your hands. I consistently run 80-85 with these tires often towing a trailer at the same time. As a matter of fact I did 350 miles yesterday returning from the RA Rally in heavy rain, about half back roads and half interstate. Even in hard rain I was stable when exceeding the 70mph speed limit on I-81; your problem ain't the tires...

Duane

1 - 20 of 67 Posts