BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving on a 2000/3000 mile ride next Tuesday. I have 7,150 miles on my R/S III tires.
How stupid would it be to leave town with that many miles on my tires?
It's doubtful if I can find a place to buy them on the road.

·
Premium Member
6,621 Posts
@Blackvalk1230* , that's a question only you can answer. We can't see your existing tire wear nor do we know your riding style or the roads you'll be riding. BTW, I make sure my bike is prepped at least 3-4 weeks out from a big trip; e.g. tires, check oil and note when next oil change is due, brakes, coolant, etc.

Duane

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm leaving on a 2000/3000 mile ride next Tuesday. I have 7,150 miles on my R/S III tires.
I've only been getting 7,000 out of a rear RSIII. Even if your riding style, roads etc give you longer tire life, you have to be at least 2/3rds through, so I'd replace them

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Pretty darn stupid. Worring about your worn tires will kill the trip. Just replace them so you don't spend so much time worrying and replacing. If your taking your wife it's moved into the "what a bonehead" territory.

·
Premium Member
5,941 Posts
I have done what your are thinking about a couple times and ended up purchasing a new tire while on the trip at full retail and messing up a day of my trip.

Another way to look at it is cost per mile. I have been keeping a change out chart on my K1600 tires since 2012. Figuring just the cost of the tires (I change them myself) the last set of RS3 cost me 0.016 per mile. If you "could get" another 2,000 miles on your set (I seriously doubt you will get another 3,000 miles out of them) that comes to $32. I would think that amount of money would be worth throwing away just for the piece of mind of "one less thing to worry about" not to mention the safety factor of riding on new tires instead of worn out ones.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Why not take charge of the situation, call up a dealer that is along your route within 500 miles of the start, and arrange for them to have the tires and service appointment ready for you?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Depending on your route you might check the map of Forum members and ask if you can have tires shipped waiting for you and maybe make an appointment to have them put on or assist with install. I personally have just gotten 10K or so (miles) from my RS 3s. As a few have said better to be prepared and have piece of mind, relaxed during the ride, and know that you don’t have to get tires put on straight away upon return from your trip. Bottom line you and only you can answer the question. You know how you ride and your machine as well.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I'm at over 6k now and I have a replacement pair waiting to mount. Have a new Marc Parnes balancer to use when I do. I don't know how many miles I have left on the tires I'm on. But I wouldn't venture on more than a 200-300 mile day ride on them. I

·
Registered
83 Posts
With almost 7200 miles on your current tires and a 2000-3000 mile trip planned it just makes sense to get new tires prior to leaving. You could risk it but why??? When I take trips the last thing I want to worry about is having to buy new tires before i get home so you could end up wasting a day or more getting tires changed when you should be riding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of your responses make sense. I knew the answer when I posted the question.
NOW, my problem is the dealer in Salt Lake City can't fit me in to have the tires installed before Tuesday.
I am going to post a message to see if anyone somewhere along my route can receive and install them.
Once again, thanks for the help and great advice.
Bill

·
Registered
53 Posts
NOW, my problem is the dealer in Salt Lake City can't fit me in to have the tires installed before Tuesday.
I am going to post a message to see if anyone somewhere along my route can receive and install them.
Bill
In my experience any motorcycle shop should be able to mount your tires. Yes dealer or bmw specific always give more peace of mind but in a pinch any shop should be able to do a great job. Getting the rims off and on is very easy on this bike. So it’s just a matter of mounting and balancing. If you have the TPMS you do want them to be careful. Have a great trip!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bill
If your comfortable taking the wheels on/off, Cycle Gear will mount the tires for $25 if you buy them there. Even if they don't have RSIII's in stock, they'll have something that would work. It's worth checking and they're open late today

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
If your comfortable taking the wheels on/off, Cycle Gear will mount the tires for $25 if you buy them there. Even if they don't have RSIII's in stock, they'll have something that would work. It's worth checking and they're open late today

I usually go to my local Cycle Gear to get my tires installed. One of the reasons is that they are really close to me and the other is they can always fit me in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts