BMW K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone that has experience who have tried both types of tires?
If you could let me know your observation of the performace, wet, and dry conditions, durability-longevity etc..
Do they make a michelin pilot road 4 gt for the front tire?

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Of note, the Michelin PR5 GT is about to come out, too, and if half of what their reps are saying is even remotely true, they're a big improvement over the PR4 GT in the dry, and in terms of wear pattern.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yes, Michelin makes a PR4GT for the front. I’ve run both makes of tires. The Michelin PR4GT last longer but the front tire tends to cup but they are good tires. The Dunlop Road Smart 3s are great tires but I just burned up a set in 4700 miles. They really stick in wet or dry conditions.
GT

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
In short both are fine tires that will last about the same. The Dunlop is better in the dry and the Michelin is a bit better in the wet.
The sidewall on the Michelin is softer so you will get a softer ride but lose a bit in the twistys. People who ride aggressively prefer Dunlop.

Michelin is a bit more expensive and to make it worse Dunlop has a rebate going until the end of the month.
Personally I like tire treads, as the tires change we need to keep up..

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
I've ridden both. The Michelin got less mileage, cost more. Wet/dry performance equal.

Duane

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Also used both. 2 sets of Michelin, still on first set of Dunlops. I'd take the Dunlops any day over the Michelins. Can't compare mileage yet, but at this point looking similar. I like the handling of the Dunlops a lot better.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I have tried the PR4, the Roadsmart 3, and now the roadtec 01, best miles was the RS3, best tyre for grip/confidence/stability by far is the roadtec 01

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Michelin is a bit more expensive and to make it worse Dunlop has a rebate going until the end of the month.
Welp, for me, that settles that. I want to try the new Contis, but everyone is sold out of the rear, so I was also thinking about the PR5GT (assuming it's not a mythical creature).

I thought the Dunlop rebate had already ended, though, so now upon learning it has not...DUNLOP IT IS! :grin:

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Man, I've got to ride with some you guys on here. I thought I pushed my GT hard and have had absolutely no issues with grip from the Dunlop RSIII's. Please, if any of you guys complaining about the grip of the Dunlops are ever in my area let me know, I'd like to follow you for a while.

Duane

·
Registered
984 Posts
I am taking bike in tomorrow to get new tires.

I called the mechanic today and tried to second guess the Michelins in lieu of the Dunlops, and he asked me if I had been on any forums reading about tires, and I burst out laughing, and said that I would see him tomorrow and hung up.

Walk of shame initiated.

Reactions: Gunnert

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts

I called the mechanic today and tried to second guess the Michelins in lieu of the Dunlops, and he asked me if I had been on any forums reading about tires, and I burst out laughing, and said that I would see him tomorrow and hung up.

Walk of shame initiated.
Your reply to him should have been.. Why yes I have, I've been talking to guys who have real world experience on tires for a bike you have never owned or ridden on a regular basis.

I wouldn't let a GS rider tell me §hit about tires for my K1600. His opinion is worth everything your paying him for it.. and that's absolutely nothing. He's just another salesman who's drank the koolaid and thinks the only tire ever made that works on a K1600 is the PR4.

That would piss me off so bad, I'd take my bike elsewhere. I've done it before for those very reasons.

On edit. Apparently I ain't done yet..
There's more knowledge in any single page of threads on this site than that moron will have in his entire life. Since when does the experience of many who actually ride this bike get trumped by some part counter guy who's got zero experience with said bike and tires... gawd.. pisses me off..

This is probably the biggest reason I'll never run PR4's. Phuckin PR4 lemmings... I swear..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I truly appreciate everyones experience and i was forced to buy the michelin because i was out of town on a ride and my dunlop RS III started to show metal cords and thats all the dealer had was the RP 4 gt. Im just hoping it will be a good tire for awhile. On performance and longevity. However i completely would take the advice on the people of this forum far more then a salesman at a dealership, for that very reason i ask the advice of the great forum members who have personal hands on experience. Thank you all very much. Freedom

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Your reply to him should have been.. Why yes I have, I've been talking to guys who have real world experience on tires for a bike you have never owned or ridden on a regular basis.

I wouldn't let a GS rider tell me §hit about tires for my K1600. His opinion is worth everything your paying him for it.. and that's absolutely nothing. He's just another salesman who's drank the koolaid and thinks the only tire ever made that works on a K1600 is the PR4.

That would piss me off so bad, I'd take my bike elsewhere. I've done it before for those very reasons.

There's more knowledge in any single page of threads on this site than that moron will have in his entire life. Since when does the experience of many who actually ride this bike get trumped by some part counter guy who's got zero experience with said bike and tires... gawd.. pisses me off..

This is probably the biggest reason I'll never run PR4's. Phuckin PR4 lemmings... I swear..
Quality rant, Sir. :yeah: I have many of the same annoyances. The PR4 isn't a bad tire, but some dealers have the idea it's the "official" tire of this bike. And to insist you buy it when the new, better version will (supposedly) be out any day now, smh.

And as bad as the know-it-all GS guy is, just as bad is the headed-to-the-bar-after-work to celebrate his 21st birthday guy who rides an S1000RR and tells you if you want to ride fast, forget about all that GT crap, as it's for wusses. Well, yeah, young dude, if you are fine with getting under 1,000 quality miles out of the rear tire, maybe.

And of all riding communities to treat someone like they're an idiot for listening to, this has to be one of the worst examples to use. Folks on these bikes tend to be older, wiser, and better educated on average, and have more experience in the form of more miles ridden, too.

Yep. That condescending tripe would urinate me off, too.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
@Freedom, I got your PM but can't respond, I get a warning that you don't accept PM.

I've ran the Michelin's with absolutely no problems. It's a good tire, wet/dry. I consider the big 3 (Michelin, Pirelli, Dunlop) to be the top choices for the K1600. I prefer the handling, lower cost, and more so, the mileage I get from the Dunlop RSIII. Ride safe.

Duane

·
Premium Member
3,723 Posts

Walk of shame initiated.

My 2 cents.
The same tire is going to give different results on an R bike, a K bike, an old K bike, a Harley, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc.
I just can't take advice from anyone unless they have the same bike that I do.
I do like my Michelins, but i will probably try the Dunlops next; just not sure which bike I am going to try them on yet, my K16 or my XR.

Here is some useless information, for example:
I had the sporty type low profile 17 or 18" front Dunlop (from the factory) on my Harley Streetglide and it made a horrible noise/feeling in turns due to their tread pattern. I traded wheel/tire assy with a friend who had a year older bike with a one or two inch smaller wheel (i can't remember) with the fatter old tread style that Harley had used for years. I was much happier with the old style tire, quiet, lasted longer, handled better, etc. On my Harley, I got 20k miles out of the front, and 10k miles out of the rear. Those same tires wouldn't get near that on my K16, nor would they handle as well, I'm betting.
On another note: A friend rode out west and back from Georgia with a particular model of Dunlops and BLEW two front tires that tore apart on their own with low miles on both. I was wary of Dunlops for a while; scared of them, actually. Started running Metzler and was happy again.
Since then, I have seen pictures of a few different brands/models of tires that came apart like my friends Dunlops did. Schit happens, I guess. Lost my fear of Dunlops, but now when I run at high speeds, the thought is always in the back of my mind about what would happen if ANY tire blew out. In all my years, I've had only two flats that went down, not slow, but not abruptly either. Wasn't a bad ride either time, but I was much younger and could handle a bike much better then. Today, I would probably mess my pants.
Sorry for rambling, especially with such crappy stories.
Best.
BTW, I suggest sticking with the Dunlops or the Michelins. Well, that's what I would do.... unless I am running darkside, that is.

Reactions: PLAGUE

·
Registered
396 Posts

Okay, I'm at a loss as to where the information about the riding experience and intelligence level of this salesperson was revealed. While the PR4 is not my tire of choice either, those who have purchased them in the past might be a bit offended to be referred to as lemmings. A bit harsh, perhaps?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I just spooned on my first set of Roadsmarts yesterday and am looking forward to trying them out... as soon as I replace the bearings and seals on the front wheel when I noticed one of them was about to check out. The Michelins pilot road series I have run since the Pilot Road 2's came out. I absolutely loved them since, even having them on my GSA when I had it. I am trying the Dunlops because there is a lot of good press from most everyone that has tried them and I just got the set I bought for about $100 bucks cheeper (with the rebate that is running right now).

Now to read up on bearing replacements, this will be fun...

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My 2 cents.
The same tire is going to give different results on an R bike, a K bike, an old K bike, a Harley, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc.
I just can't take advice from anyone unless they have the same bike that I do.
I do like my Michelins, but i will probably try the Dunlops next; just not sure which bike I am going to try them on yet, my K16 or my XR.

Here is some useless information, for example:
I had the sporty type low profile 17 or 18" front Dunlop (from the factory) on my Harley Streetglide and it made a horrible noise/feeling in turns due to their tread pattern. I traded wheel/tire assy with a friend who had a year older bike with a one or two inch smaller wheel (i can't remember) with the fatter old tread style that Harley had used for years. I was much happier with the old style tire, quiet, lasted longer, handled better, etc. On my Harley, I got 20k miles out of the front, and 10k miles out of the rear. Those same tires wouldn't get near that on my K16, nor would they handle as well, I'm betting.
On another note: A friend rode out west and back from Georgia with a particular model of Dunlops and BLEW two front tires that tore apart on their own with low miles on both. I was wary of Dunlops for a while; scared of them, actually. Started running Metzler and was happy again.
Since then, I have seen pictures of a few different brands/models of tires that came apart like my friends Dunlops did. Schit happens, I guess. Lost my fear of Dunlops, but now when I run at high speeds, the thought is always in the back of my mind about what would happen if ANY tire blew out. In all my years, I've had only two flats that went down, not slow, but not abruptly either. Wasn't a bad ride either time, but I was much younger and could handle a bike much better then. Today, I would probably mess my pants.
Sorry for rambling, especially with such crappy stories.
Best.
BTW, I suggest sticking with the Dunlops or the Michelins. Well, that's what I would do.... unless I am running darkside, that is.
One of my favourite features on my K1600B is the tire pressure gauge. Like you, loosing tire pressure while riding has always been a concern. I'm glancing at the gauge all the time.

When i needed tires i looked to this forum for advice and appreciated all the input received. Did further research as well. Decided on three great choices, Pirelli, Michelin, Dunlop.

My local dealer stocks Michelin and Dunlop. Was advised that Michelin was the top seller but that the Dunlops were great as well. Based on price and Dunlop being an American tire company i went with Road Smart 3's. If Michelin comes out with the GT5, gets great reviews, i might give them a try next time.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
... as soon as I replace the bearings and seals on the front wheel when I noticed one of them was about to check out.

Now to read up on bearing replacements, this will be fun...
Great observation! Not everyone checks them

As to who actually replaces their own bearings ... there’s a lot of guys here who love the challenge. When I encountered the need, I just took my wheel to the dealership along with my credit card ;)

-

1 - 20 of 101 Posts