BMW K1600 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
After I am done with the original tires, I am thinking on the new Pirelli that just came out. Not a lot are stocking them yet. My JEEP Grand Overland has them and they are SUPER tires. Like a glue on the road !!!! Wet or not, just perfect.
While I'm sure they are great, i can't buy tires made in China ( Pirelli's sold in USA are made in China ) when there are great options available. To each there own!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
I share the same concern and was curious. Zooming in on a photo of the tire showed a plant code from Germany. I wonder if they have multiple production facilities for that tire.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Michelins installed today
We will see

·
Registered
981 Posts
@SmokinJoe Felt nice on the way home already. Felt good grip. Thanks for the affirmation and yes - my wallet felt stretched out on the way home.

·
Registered
493 Posts
While the PR4 is not my tire of choice either, those who have purchased them in the past might be a bit offended to be referred to as lemmings. A bit harsh, perhaps?
My feelings are hurt. :crying:

I have been running PR3 and 4s for years...based on what I read on this forum a few years ago. A decision made based on the places and times I ride. Last time I rode in the rain was today. Last time before that, yesterday. Last time I was in twisties -- months ago. So I'll take any wet traction benefit over dry traction.

But now I know it was bc I am lemming. :surprise:

But after that rant, I guess I am switching like everyone else. Probably bc I am thrifty (cheap), and will give up a little wet traction for a few dollars.

Or is it be because I am a lemming?:confused: Hmmm.

Meantime, off to walmart to get me walmart oil. (ok, I am not that cheap. I use Rotella.):wink:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I share the same concern and was curious. Zooming in on a photo of the tire showed a plant code from Germany. I wonder if they have multiple production facilities for that tire.
My understanding is Europe receives tires made in Germany. The United States receives tires from there plant in China.

Not saying made in China means bad quality, for me it's about my personal feelings.

Regardless id bet all Perelli tires are first quality.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
While I'm sure they are great, i can't buy tires made in China ( Pirelli's sold in USA are made in China ) when there are great options available. To each there own!

China and Germany are manufacturing Pirelli touring tires, the vast majority for all markets comes from China now, same for Metzeler tires. A K O criteria for me.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Hated the PR4s. Long life but rapid deterioration, cupping, loss of handling; so, either take them off with loads of rubber remaining or suffer miserable tires for most of their long lives. Dunlop lasts as long and does not lose its profile, grip or handling throughout the tire’s life. If no Dunlop RIIIs available, the Metzler Roadrech 01s are a close second.

·
Premium Member
5,178 Posts
Okay, I'm at a loss as to where the information about the riding experience and intelligence level of this salesperson was revealed. While the PR4 is not my tire of choice either, those who have purchased them in the past might be a bit offended to be referred to as lemmings. A bit harsh, perhaps?
The basis of my rant came from another thread here where a parts guy who rides a GS and was telling PLAGUE how the PR4 is the only tire worth putting on a K1600. Then this same guy makes a snide comment to him about talking to people on forums when he called back wanting to change his mind to a different tire.

So this a§§hole who doesn't ride or own a K1600 basically thinks we are all a bunch of idiots because we don't conform to his idea as to tires on our bikes.. to which I remind you once again... he doesn't own or ride. So, I referred to him as a lemming, a Michelin PR4 lemming because it's his opinion that is the only tire one should put on this bike.

You can do no greater injustice to someone than recommending something you have no experience with.

If my comments about him offends people, well that's too bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got about 9k on my Dunlop RSIIIs. Just got back from an 800 mile trip through the mountains and they're probably ready to be replaced. The front is pretty well cupped and the back doesn't look too bad but I can feel the difference from new. I had the Michelins PR4 GTs before the Dunlops and didn't really have any complaints other than the front got cupped pretty quickly. (I guess that's an ongoing problem with this bike)?

I went with Dunlop for the next set simply because they were offering a $100 rebate when you bought and installed a pair. (Considering the mounted price I paid for the pair was around $350, $100 back seemed like a **** of a deal).

I'll have to look a little closer but I'd sure like to wait until my next service interval before replacing them but that's still 2000 miles away.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The original Bridgestone tires on my GTL need replacing at the 7200 mile mark. This thread has been very entertaining :smile: and has helped me pick the Dunlop RSIIIs as the replacement. I talked to a few guys at the BMW dealer and they agree the Dunlop is a solid choice, especially from a cost/benefit perspective.

From the best I can tell, one of the main drawing cards to the PR4s is performance in wet conditions. Being a SoCal guy, I rarely ride in rainy weather. However, I spend a lot of time on dry twisties and sweeps where leaning traction is the #1 priority. The RSIIIs seem to get the most props for this type of riding.

We chew up tires quickly on K16s, so if they don't perform as I expect, there is something else to easily move to. Thanks to all for all the valuable input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
JohnS - you made a good choice IMO. I have an 18 B and a 18 GT. The B needed the OEM Bridgestone's replaced last month. Have ran the Pilot 4s on multiple bikes and have really like them. The Pilot 5 came out and I really wanted those on my B. Several of my buddies have the 5’s on their RT’s and like them. There are other threads here that recommend the Pilot 5 (non-GT) for the K1600, even for the B. So, I first had the Pilot 5s installed on the B and was extremely disappointed. They were very unstable on my B to say the least. Immediately took the B back to the shop and went with the RS3’s. The RS3 are much better than the 5s on my B, but I still have more of a wobble in dirty air and higher speeds compared to the OEM Bstones. That said, the RS3’s are very solid in the twisties and I also received $60 cash back rebate from Dunlop after install and service.

The GT OEM Bstones just needed replacement after the 4,000 mile ride to Sturgis and back. Researched the new Bstone Battlax T31F GTs and liked what I read. Decided to pull the trigger on those to test on the GT. Wow, they are solid and absolutely no wobble issues in dirty air or higher speeds. Solid in the twisties.

The RS3’s are good for now on the B, but I’ll be going with the Battlax T31F GT’s or the Pilot 5 GT’s (when they come out) once I burn up the RS3’s.

Attached images of the contact patch comparison of the RS3 front and the Battlax T31F GT’s. RS3 is the narrower tire (which explains more instability straight up riding in dirty air/higher speeds). The RS3’s have 4k plus miles and showing good longevity.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
If you're a straight-line, cruiser rider that shies away from curvy and/or wet roads the Battlax probably works fine. For everyone else the RS III is the benchmark others are judged against.

Duane

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you're a straight-line, cruiser rider that shies away from curvy and/or wet roads the Battlax probably works fine. For everyone else the RS III is the benchmark others are judged against.

Duane
Do you have riding experience on the Battlax T31F GT’s?

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Not personally, but Gary had a set on his GTL when we rode together to Darby's Bar-B-Q last year (VA-CO). I mounted them and replaced them when we got back. Gary's not an aggressive rider and he said the Battlax were junk.

Duane

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not personally, but Gary had a set on his GTL when we rode together to Darby's Bar-B-Q last year (VA-CO). I mounted them and replaced them when we got back. Gary's not an aggressive rider and he said the Battlax were junk.

Duane
Looks like the T31F GT’s released mid 2018 with the new compound and tread design. Are you referring to the T30’s maybe?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have tried the PR4, the Roadsmart 3, and now the roadtec 01, best miles was the RS3, best tyre for grip/confidence/stability by far is the roadtec 01
I've tried all these on my GT too, yet I prefer the feel of the Dunlop RS III's:confused:

The Michelins lasted ages, but because they lasted ages they were quite cupped (front) and square (rear) which wasn't great for wet, winter, city roads. Total was c. 9k miles.
The Metzelers didn't last as long and went to zero tread/almost showing metal in about 50 miles... Total c. 6500 miles.

Dunlops - put 'em on and, wet, dry or worn, can't say I notice anything different day in day out :tb

Oh, and the Bridgestones fitted to my new 'B deserved to be consigned to ****....

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Looks like the T31F GT’s released mid 2018 with the new compound and tread design. Are you referring to the T30’s maybe?
I don't know which model was used. What I do know is what performs best after trying the 'premium' brand, high performance sport touring tires, e.g. Metzler, Pirelli, Michelin, and Dunlop. I could tell you that I ride hard, but on this forum seems everyone rides hard. I consider tire recommendations very subjective unless the recommendation is coming from someone I've ridden with.

Duane

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Heres my 2 cents on the Bridgestone T31 GT from personal use for the past 11 months and as Duane knows I`m no straight line cruiser rider! 99% of riding on my GTL is 2up with my wife in the SC/NC/TN/North GA mountains, mostly sticking to the twisty/curvy roads only rarely hitting the highways/interstates. The T31 GT for me performs awesome! Great feedback and response/handling...braking/bump absorption also really good! Cant give extensive wet weather feedback since I`ve never been caught out in a heavy downpour, only very light rain and wet roads but with that I never felt any issues, always felt solid in the wet conditions I experienced even when pushing the GTL a little. Only downside to the T31 for me is the mileage...at 6K miles I`m still on the 1st front but I`m on my 3rd rear! Looking at tread depth on both tires I guesstimate I will get another 500-700 miles before replacing both. I attribute the wear on the rear tire to load and some aggressive mountain riding, my wife and I are not small people and we are usually loaded to the max with gear, personal stuff, etc for our trips. Front tire wore pretty evenly but rear tires all had slight cupping. Pricing on the T31 GT is descent...usually found for $230 -$250 shipped to my home with an occasional $40-$50 rebate. Fortunately I can install at my home which saves a little $$. My next set will be the Dunlop RS3 which I have already purchased and after all the feedback I have read I`m expecting better all around results from the RS3`s! Time will tell...see you in the mountains!!

41 - 60 of 101 Posts