BMW K1600 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Does anyone know if these will be a RE-INFORCED TIRE? How about a "B" rating to boot?

I know the PR2 and PR3 tires and the Battlax tires are not.

Rich

The answer is always "NO" unless you ask.
I know, old post but I couldn't resist. What you care about is the tires load rating, as long as its at or above the factory rating it's as "reinforced" as it needs to be. Also, the "B" in a tire spec means BIAS PLY, you DO NOT want a "B" spec tire on the K16. You want a ZR rated tire with at least a 58W front and 75W rear load rating.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Also, the "B" in a tire spec means BIAS PLY, you DO NOT want a "B" spec tire on the K16.
Not necessarily. I've seen ZR Radial tires that carried a "B" designation, which indicated an extra sidewall/tread ply to handle heavier bikes. In fact, Michelin did just that on their 180/55ZR17 PR2 tires.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Wes,
Since this thread is resurrected, I will respond your question about the PR3. Have not tracked the PR3 on my K1600GT yet (doctor spoiled my plans for this weekend). However, have tracked them with my R1200S. The front sticks very well, but the rear will spin up under full lean and lots of throttle in a slightly off-camber turn. However, they are very predictable and at no time did I feel uneasy. Suggest you will only notice some traction control nanny action with them if you give WFO on exit with the K1600GT.

Wear is really very good on that same motorcycle. With nearly 5k mile of slabbing type commuting, only see a slight wear to the center. Turn in is quick, but mid-corner stability does not suffer at all.

In the wet, they are truly in another dimension. In Houston city streets in the wet, I have traversed manhole covers with only a slight slip and grip as soon as pavement is contacted. With other tires, a slide could be expected even after clearing the slippery steel.

If you ride only in the dry, there may be better tires; but when it comes to tread wear, wet and dry traction on the street, I just don't know of a better tire.

Thanks Kent - that's a pretty ringing endorsement. Having just put them on before our last trip, I've had very little chance to ride them in the rain on anything other than the slab. I'm still running them down at 38/38 and like the handling. My only concerns is, at those pressures, I'm using more front tire (no wanker strip) than rear (1/2" wanker strip). Any thoughts about the whole pressure debate that's been discussed? What pressures are you running on your K16?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just got back from a Lake Tahoe ride. It was 107 degrees on the 395. By the time I got home, at 5200 miles, my rear Metzeler was showing cords. Im getting some new Roadsmart 2s installed this thursday. Ill let you know how it goes.

Flash

·
Registered
43 Posts
Update on my Dunlop Roadsmart2's. I've got just over 2000 miles on these tires and I am inpressed with the performance. These tires allow my K16 to transition left to right in a fashion similar to a sport bike or light weight naked. Ample traction to the point where the bottom edge, at the side wall, is just starting to curl. Riding in the rain was a non issue, although I did take the bike out of Dynamic mode and put it into the Rain mode. I haven't measured wear but there is no evidence of cupping. It's probably too early to detect that type of anyway. I run with cold pressure at 42.5 PSI. When I first put these onto the K16, the tires were very noisey. As the mileage accumulates, the noise has diminished to a point where they are now quieter than the OEM Metzelers. I feel very confident with these tires for 2 reasons. The first is exceptional performance and the 2nd is that Dunlop recommends them for the K1600GT/GTL. I was considering the Michelin PR3's but didn't find a recommendation from, either, BMW or Michelin, in regard to the K1600GT/GTL. Dunlop has a winner here.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I am trying to burn up these last 1000-1500 miles I have left on my Bridgestones and I will try these out. Oh well let me get my gear on and run down to Monterey sounds like a nice little afternoon ride to me.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
101 Posts
Am just like you my bridgestone bt023gt are near 6000 miles no cords yet ,they just keep going. But my next set is the dunlop for shure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I must say, I have only put 500 miles on my new Roadsmarts, but so far....I hate to say it...I like the Metzelers better. We'll see how it goes as I rack up the miles.

Flash

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Any particular reason why?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm curious, as well. What do you prefer about the Metzeler over the Dunlop? Are the Roadsmarts mounted on a K1600GL/GTL?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Flash,
I was wondering how things are going with those Dunlop tires. I know that, at 500 miles, you were not very enthusiastic. I found them to be very noisy early on but they have quieted down and am am blown away by the traction. I hope you experience with these Roadsmart 2's is getting better. They're way expensive to not meet your expectations. I'm riding a GTL. Maybe there is enough of a difference between the GT and the GTL to cause them not to perform adequately on the GT?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have become very fond of them. They are very neutral. I would say they are as good as Michelin Pilot Road 3s. To early to see how they are wearing.

I'd buy them again.

Flash

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
43 Posts
Glad to hear that it's working out for you. I am pleased with the increase in traction. Now, I'm hoping for increased mileage. The z8's were changed at 7600 miles. I might have gotten more but I didn't care for the performance of the Metzelers. This is the first Metzeler tire that I didn't like. I understand that Metzeler is supposed to be reworking the Z8's for the K1600 series of motorcycles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I understand that Metzeler is supposed to be reworking the Z8's for the K1600 series of motorcycles.
See this news release from Metzeler.

Munich 10/04/2012 09:00 - Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact™* certified as best sport touring tyre on wet by the German Motorrad Testcenter Agency
The new compounds and the changes made to the structure of the already excellent sport-touring tyres from the German brand allowed this product to become an unrivalled leader in the segment for use on wet roads

Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact™* is the safest tyre on wet. The German Motorrad TestCenter agency certifies this with a test comparing the Metzeler product to its direct competitors. Performance and braking of motorcycle tyres on wet surfaces have become increasingly important features in tyre selection, particularly in those countries where sudden weather changes can occur at any time and bikers need a high level of safety. Precisely to meet these needs, Metzeler decided to develop new compounds for the Roadtec Z8 Interact™* tyres with the specific goal of providing riders not only the most recent technological solutions available in the area of wet performance, but also the possibility of having a tyre with a wide range of use that represents the new standard in terms of performance in any weather conditions, from wet and cold to hot and dry.

Therefore, thanks to the upgrade of an already top notch product, Metzeler is proud to present the new standard for the segment in terms of safety and performance on wet roads: this leadership is recognised by a test conducted by the prestigious Motorrad TestCenter, one of the most important and authoritative test centres in Europe, which compared the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact™* to the Bridgestone Battlax BT 023, the Continental Road Attack2, the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II and the Michelin Pilot Road3.

The criteria considered in the wet test by Motorrad TestCenter have been: steering precision and characteristics, line holding during acceleration, ease of handling, grip at lean angle for front and rear tyres, grip during acceleration, limit range characteristics, feedback at lean angle, braking stability during full braking with ABS.

In order to check any deviation in the test results which may stem from vehicle weight and/or suspension geometry, the vehicles chosen for the test were a Honda CBR600F ABS and a Suzuki Bandit 1250 ABS. The test was carried out during the months of January and February 2012 in dry climatic conditions and with slightly cloudy weather and air temperature of 9°±1° and asphalt of 12°±2°. In particular, the test on wet surfaces was conducted on the Vizzola Ticino test track which has a permanent irrigation system and a good friction coefficient which caters to extreme leaning positions and high speeds in curves. The Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact™* was not only proven to be the safest tyre on wet, but also the fastest on lap times. Considering all the values taken into consideration, the Motorrad TestCenter declared, the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact™* tyre is superior to the competition in its segment.

This is the ranking that Motorrad TestCenter drew up at the end of the comparison test:

1st Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact™*
2nd Michelin Pilot Road 3
3rd Bridgestone Battlax BT 023
4th Continental Road Attack2
5th Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart II

This result was achieved thanks to new compounds and a few changes to the structure of the tyre while the tread pattern and the profile remained identical since they have already abundantly demonstrated their excellent functionality.
The main goal of the Metzeler Research and Development department was to obtain excellence in terms of performance on wet, with specific attention to critical riding situations such as braking and grip on wet, panic braking and grip. The result of their work is truly revolutionary, achieved by combining the latest generation of silicon compounds with a high performance synthetic polymer and various types of resin and plasticiser agents.
By doing this, Metzeler obtained a completely new compound, able to provide an excellent chemical grip on wet with the widest possible range of operating temperatures, going from 4° to over 35°. In this air temperature range the tyre is immediately ready to provide top performance. Another advantage that this new generation compound provides is the possibility of being able to better harmonise the internal structure materials, thereby improving interaction between the structure and tread.

The rear tyre compound is a dual compoundis a dual compound solution with a 40-20-40 layout over the profile. The compound for the central section is about 45 millimetres wide (with slight differences between the sizes) and has a 70% Silica content, specifically developed to optimise mileage and stability even at high speeds. The shoulder compound, on the other hand, runs to about 88 millimetres of the profile on each side and has 100% Silica which significantly increases grip on wet surfaces and reduces slipping in any conditions.

The front tyre on the other hand is a single compound and is now made up of a 100% Silica compound, derived from the one used on the rear tyre shoulders, whereas in the past it was 50% Silica and 50% Carbon Black. Quick warm up and grip on dry are guaranteed by the new polymers and filler configuration developed through a new mixing process.

As for the structure of the Roadtec Z8 Interact™* new specifications, it obviously already boasts the renowned Interact™ technology, but with a new variable tension layout. In fact, as explained above, the purpose of this development was to expand the range of conditions for use, which go from cold and damp to dry and hot, with an extremely high performance level. All of this was realised following two main objectives

1. Considerable increase of grip on wet surfaces:

• In order to favour handling Metzeler introduced an all silicon compound to guarantee extreme chemical grip. Due to the softness of this compound, in order to maintain high levels of stability, regularity of use and riding ease, Metzeler researchers increased the steel belt tension to 0° compared to its predecessor, but with a similar pattern, that is, higher in the centre and lower toward the edge of the shoulder.
• In order to improve braking performance, since the central part of the compound is harder, steel belt tension was reduced to 0° both to increase the contact area and to warm up the compound more quickly, thereby increasing its grip properties.

2. Maintaining the maximum performance level of the previous Roadtec Z8 Interact™ version and the progressive performance in leaning over into turns: in correspondence to the points where the compounds change, the steel belt tension was adapted to 0° to compensate for the different hardness.

Interact™ technology is the element patented by Metzeler which allows to compounds which are so very different from one another to be combined, with all the advantages that stem from this, with the traditional progressive performance which originally characterised the Roadtec Z8 Interact™.

Since 1992 Metzeler has developed the technology with steel belt at 0° for motorcycle tyres and we have always strongly believed in its potential. We believed in this concept so much, that Metzeler decided to stay focused and continue developing over the last two decades. In 2008 Metzeler introduced Interact™, a revolutionary technology that represents the final step of this development and which is currently the most advanced level of belt technology, using the variable tension cable effect on the compound.

Meeting the needs of an increasingly wide range of use and for the purpose of achieving these unprecedented levels in terms of performance on wet, Metzeler engineers had to work on the compounds to reach a high chemical grip on both the front tyre and the shoulder of the rear tyre, while still maintaining a central area more focused on mileage and stability. With this configuration, the Interact™ structure provides incredible thrust, making the combination of two extremely different compounds blended progressively on the same tyre possible.

The new specifications of the tyre are 100% compatible with its predecessor, which means that they can be mixed and matched and mounted on the same bikes that already use the previous version of the Roadtec Z8 Interact™.

The new compound versions of the Roadtec Z8 Interact™* are available at your Metzeler dealers from April all over Europe and at the end of 2012 in the rest of the world. On the front the single ply (M) 120/70 ZR17 is available, while for the rear the 180/55 ZR17 in dual ply (O) will be available as well as the 190/50 ZR17 and 190/55 ZR17 in both single ply (M) and in dual ply (O)*.

·
Registered
732 Posts
When ordering the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact, how would you know which version you were getting?

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It says they won't be available until the end of 2012. I have had great success with Metzelers in the past but due to some issues posted on here I will wait till the new tires are out and reviewed before trying them. In the meantime I will be ordering the Dunlops next week.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I'm running the PR3s after going through two sets of Z8s in 8500 miles. After 2000 miles on the pr3s I have found them to be good in most settings but less then inspiring at high speeds (100+mph). While they are more then adequet for my daily use the bike feels squirly at high speeds when in the wind sail of trucks. Most users of the pr3s love em, but I in truth only like them, so if metzler has improved the z8 I'll be first in line as that tire was fantastic in all ways except for wear. Just my .02 for what it's worth

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm running a PR3 in the front with 9000 miles and a Metzler in the back with 3500. I'm putting Dunlops on on Friday. The mismatched tires worked fine until the PR3 in the front started to cup real bad about 1000 miles ago. She's real squirmy behind trucks right now, I've adjusted but it ain't right. Time for the PR3 to go and I'll replace the Metzler because it's probably only got 1000 left in it anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
The only reason I would switch from Metzler is the tread pattern. I would like to know when my tire is worn before the cord shows.

21 - 40 of 137 Posts