BMW K1600 Forum banner

121 - 137 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I just put the Dunlop 2's on a couple of day's ago and guess what? No more pull to the left! I took of a set of PR3's that had 11000 miles on them. GT

·
Registered
61 Posts
Took delivery of my GTL a year ago February, to date I have a little over 7,000 miles on Bridgstones. Wear seems equal on both front and rear tires and still in my estimation a good 3000 miles left. I would say that my riding is 70/30 back roads/slabs and 98% two up. I run 42# in each and keep a good eye on the pressure. Temps range is 40s to 90s. So far I'm pretty happy with the mileage and wear, but will probably look at the PR3 or the Roadsmarts next tire, but keeping my options open.
Mavericktoo,
Thanks for the info - good news to hear. I will keep watching the forum and keep options open...If you change to Michelins, I will watch for your posts on how they compare.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
4700 mile update

Okay, here's a final update on my RS2s at 4700 miles. I've received several questions about these and they're coming off tomorrow so here's a photo. Since the load-rated PR3s aren't out yet, I'm going to do another round of RS2s. All-in-all, not a bad looking wear pattern to me. Somewhat flattened out from some slabbing but also well toasted on the edges (last 1" of tread patterns are gone). Notice that I'm well into the wear bars. Of some concern, is several cuts and holes (look carefully in the photo) probably caused by sharp road debris. Fortunately, it never leaked. The front still looks very respectable but probably not enough meat to last me another 5000 miles so I'll swap them both.

·
Registered
85 Posts
1st 2000 miles

Well, I just finished my 1st 2000 miles on my new RM2s. From west Texas to Colorado...lots of mountain passes, including rain, sleet, snow, and ice over the Slumgullion pass. I am pretty inpressed. Very nice handling, very good grip. Much better than my stock 'stones. Would love it if I could squeeze 6000 miles out of them, but I hope to switch to the approved PR3s next time. Did a nice loop yesterday: Pagosa Springs-Gunnison-Montrose-Durango-Lubbock. 920 miles, with a lot of fun in-between!

Marc

·
Registered
553 Posts
Old thread but I thought that I would provide an update having just run through a set of RS IIs. While I was concerned about how they were wearing on the edges, I ended up getting 7,787 miles out of them. I think they had a good 1-2k left on them but I changed them out because I didn't want to mess with getting tires on a trip. I have a 5k mile trip planned for this month and another 4k mile trip in July. The July trip includes the Rally in Salem so I'll probably get new tires mounted at the show if needed. I put RS II tires on again.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
AZ, just curious how many of those miles had the Bustek behind. I'm right at 7k on a set with another 1-2k tops. I've had the trailer behind for about 1.5k. Waiting on a B spec but may put anothr RSII rear given the wear and decent grip all around.

·
Administrator
17,093 Posts
I'm pleased to report that the RS2 handles monsoon downpours, with flowing water across the highway, as well as wet twisty roads fine. Not as good as the PR3 but good all the same. :gm

·
Registered
378 Posts
I replaced my Z8s with Dunlop Roadsmart IIs at 5600 miles, just prior to two track days at VIR. I think the Z8s still had probably 2000 miles of treadlife for the street, but the were pretty flattened out due to some LD slabbing and I considered them well past safe use on the track. I haven't ridden the RSIIs in the rain yet but, with 800 miles on them (250 of which was on the track) I am very impressed with their dry grip.

I generally ride solo with the bike suspension set to Normal and 1 Helmet + luggage. With 42x42 psi, the same pressures that I ran in the Z8s, the ride on the RSIIs is firmer than the Z8s. I did notice a slight bit of "wandering," as noted in prior posts in this thread, which I attribute to the oval profile of front tire. I didn't note this wandering in the Z8s, but they were a rounder profile tire than the RSIIs to begin with, plus the profile had been flattened considerably with wear. (It's probably not fair to compare a used tire that is on its last legs to a new tire, but there you go.) The oval profile of the RSIIs is great for quick turns-ins, but the contact patch, when straight up, is limited by the profile, especially at 42 psi. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to experiment with slight reductions in the front tire pressure, to see whether that would alleviate the slight "wandering" sensation, as well as some of the front end ride firmness. I think that 40 psi might be a good starting point for the front tire experimentation.

At the track, I ran 36x36 psi, and the tires performed extremely well. Naturally, I had no saddlebags or trunk or luggage of any kind on the bike. I did retain the Normal suspension setting, with preload set to 1 Helmet + luggage. (I did not try out the 2 Helmet setting.) At 180 pounds with gear, this setting seemed enough to "pitch" the bike for quicker turn-ins, and I wasn't dragging any hard parts. Here's an image of the rear after the 250-mile ride home from the track:

The tire looks pretty snotted up but some (if not most) of that stuff is undoubtedly rubber left on the track the prior day(s) by cars. I noticed some rear "drift" in Turns 1 and 14 (North Course), both of which are right-handers, and those turns appeared very black with heavy rubber deposits. On the other right-handers, I noted no drift.

That's it for my impressions thus far.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Interesting observations, Al.

I also rode on new RSII's at VIR (only one day, due to work/life schedule issues). My observations on the RSII's:

Complete confidence on the tires, including when the right footpeg was folding up and the Ilium peg was grinding/lifting the front end a bit in turn 1 (my tire was torn up like Al's all of the way to the edge; I also found a bunch of rubber balls on the inside of the rear rim when cleaning the bike the next day).

The grinding was primarily due to my tail being locked in by a Russell seat and my not getting off to the inside of the turn. Once I started shifting my butt to where the seat wing was between my cheeks :)eek:), getting my upper body more turned in, and going to 2-up on the springs, no further clearance issues.

No sense of tire instability when leaned over, despite the weight of the bike. I left the pressures at 42/42 so that I'd have a better sense of what to expect in the normal "street" configuration. Drift initiation was not sudden (a plus in my book), so no unexpected "break-away" events.

The only place where I believe we had a different experience is the "wandering" -- the RSII's seemed a bit more stable than the Z8's to me.

Great meeting and sharing the "back bench" with ya!

·
Registered
53 Posts
One observation on the RoadSmart II rear tire on my GT

I have about 2500 miles on the front and rear and they are holding up good. However, I noticed, for the first time when I was checking the rear tire for any nails, etc. one night that the clearance between the swing arm/drive shaft and the edge of the tire was PRETTY TIGHT. In fact, as I rotated the tire around, it was JUST missing the metal housing by about 1/16 of an inch, maybe 1/8 of an inch. Scared the crap out of me. You couldn't get a finger in between the tire and final drive housing at all.

Next day, was at the dealer checking out other GT/GTLs with other brands (Metzler/Bridgestone) and they were clearing the swingarm by about 1/4 to almost 1/2 inch, depending on the tire. Here you could put your finger between those spaces.

I asked one of the service techs about it and he was surprised at the difference, but he checked for any rubbing of the edge of the tire on my bike and couldn't see any wear on the tire. Same size tire, just different enough from each manufacturer to make a difference.

Just sharing what I saw.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
II noticed, for the first time when I was checking the rear tire for any nails, etc. one night that the clearance between the swing arm/drive shaft and the edge of the tire was PRETTY TIGHT.
Next day, was at the dealer checking out other GT/GTLs with other brands (Metzler/Bridgestone) and they were clearing the swingarm by about 1/4 to almost 1/2 inch, depending on the tire. Here you could put your finger between those spaces.
Good to share. I'm not surprised, however, because Dunlops had actual interference/rubbing issues with a lot of K12LT swingarms. Seems to be a just the way Dunlop builds its tires. As long as there's no contact, no problem.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
A follow-up, which I'm hesitant to post because I have no f***ing clue why:

Today was the first day I had a chance to ride the GTL with nothing in the saddlebags (finished installing the RSII's at 1:30AM Thursday, loaded up the bike and did the miles to the VA/NC border that afternoon).

The bike is running dead straight down the road, unlike with the OE Z8's (a pull to the left that required 15-20 lbs. of tools in the right saddlebag to counter).

Great result :k16:, but I'm gonna go nutz trying to figure out why! :puzzled::dunno::lol:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
A follow-up, which I'm hesitant to post because I have no f***ing clue why:

Today was the first day I had a chance to ride the GTL with nothing in the saddlebags (finished installing the RSII's at 1:30AM Thursday, loaded up the bike and did the miles to the VA/NC border that afternoon).

The bike is running dead straight down the road, unlike with the OE Z8's (a pull to the left that required 15-20 lbs. of tools in the right saddlebag to counter).

Great result :k16:, but I'm gonna go nutz trying to figure out why! :puzzled::dunno::lol:
:Dman I feel sorry for you! :D

It'll come to you...outta the blue...at the damndest time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tires

I have a 2014 K1600GTL that I bought new late 2014. Have had for 6 months with 21,000 miles on it already. The stock tires (Dunlop) that came with it were shot at only 6,000 and I replaced them with the Angel GTs. I put around 8,000 miles on these tires, loved them, and bought a second set that is currently on bike with around 7,000 and still looking pretty good. Handles great. Lasts longer. Really happy with them -- When I buy a new set of tires they will once again be the GTs. So, here is what I recommend:
Angel GT Sport Touring "A" spec rear tire: 190/55ZR-17 (cost around $190 at a place like Motorcycle Super Store) Angel GT Sport Touring front tire: 120/70 ZR17 (cost around $127) Front tire does NOT have an "A" spec.
I change both tires at the same time. Unusual for me, because my past touring bikes the front tire lasted three times longer than the rear. Anyway, cost of doing business I guess. {Original Dunlops for this bike sucks, front tire scalloped and back tire flat across center in no time.) Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
4,056 Posts
Old thread. Welcome to the forum kkr
The original tires that came with the bike new were Bridgestone or Metzler. Most who have the GTL seem to be using Michelin PR4 as they seem to give the longest tire life.
Those with a GT or GT Sport and ride hard in the twisty's use the Angel or Roadsmart for the grip and don't care how long they last.

121 - 137 of 137 Posts